Thread: remote TV viewing pre-recorded shows?

remote TV viewing pre-recorded shows?

I was wondering what people are using to watch TV shows in other areas in their house than where one's Tivo(s) are?

I have two 6.2 DTivos (which are networked together and so can move shows between each other) and I find that 4 tuners are sufficent for my needs. But I do have some other rooms in the house which have TVs and sometimes would like to watch the shows in these alternate rooms.

One thought I had was to pick up some used SA Tivos, network them up, and transfer the shows to them. As these wouldn't need any program guides, I don't see a need to subscribe to Tivo for anything. But I guess I would need to figure our the HMO hack for the SAs so they would see the DTivos.

1. Does anybody see an issue with this?

2. Does anybody have any other methods that they would suggest? (hopefully not too expensive and somewhat elegant)

1). S2s require a sub to be functional. MRV doesn't work on S1s. But you could use DTiVo boxes if you can handle the nag messages for 5 mins. LINK
    2). Drop a RG-6 run from the DTiVo to the TV and use a remote extender (either RF or one that transmits the code back up the RG-6 on the shield).

ew
    Last edited by eastwind; 01-09-2006 at 02:19 AM.

Unsubbed S2 DTivos work fine as a remote dummy terminal. I have mine connected to a sat feed to eliminate the nag message when there's no sat signal. The only other nag screen you get is when you go to access the Now Playing list and it tells you to activate the DVR service. Press Select and you can navigate through the menus and watch your shows with no further nags.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    Unsubbed S2 DTivos work fine as a remote dummy terminal. I have mine connected to a sat feed to eliminate the nag message when there's no sat signal. The only other nag screen you get is when you go to access the Now Playing list and it tells you to activate the DVR service. Press Select and you can navigate through the menus and watch your shows with no further nags.

I have SAS2 units (CableTV TCD240 models), one of which is unsubbed I use as a big "holding pen" for recorded movies and such (MRV is nice). Like captain video indicated with the DTivos, an unsubbed SAS2 has a "please activate" nag when you go to the main menu. I don't care as I don't usually interface directly with that machine, but if you're actually using one in a room with your TV it could get quite annoying.

Other than that annoyance, it seems like a fine idea.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    That is good to know that they will work unsubed. They would be my preference, too.

I just figured I could pick up a couple of SA units much cheaper than any S2 DTivos. Also it feals a bit of a waste not using the DTivo's tuners.

But then the DTivos would be much easer to hack the HMO option in and there is something to be said for sticking with just one model everywhere.