Page 43 of 84 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: TyTool 10r4 - Extraction/Frame Accurate Editing/DVD output/Closed Captioning...

Quote Originally Posted by Growler View Post
    I took the mpg from tytool that had choppy playback. I put it in Vegas, edited it, and made a new mpg. It worked fine, except a noticed loss in picture clarity.

Is the issue that there is virtually no quality loss when working within TyTool?
    There is zero, zilch, no loss whatsoever when editing in Tytool. The result is still the same mpeg stream that was on the tivo. However Vegas would not be happy with the long GOPs and header weirdness and reencodes the mpeg on the fly, thus the drastic quality loss. The other two editors I know of that will do basic editing on Dtivo Vobs without rerendering are Womble Mpeg-vcr, and Cuttermaran, that's it. I'm not sure about the new version of Womble.

Since a Dtivo stream is mpeg2, you need an svcd/DVD player for playback, such as WinDVD or PowerDVD. There ARE codecs that will allow Mpeg2 playback in Media Player, however they may choke on the weird Tystream mpeg but be happy with a regular mpeg. Mainconcept is one such codec that behaves thus. I use winDVD to assure that a Tystream Vob is ok..

Quote Originally Posted by BustedSony View Post
    There is zero, zilch, no loss whatsoever when editing in Tytool. The result is still the same mpeg stream that was on the tivo. However Vegas would not be happy with the long GOPs and header weirdness and reencodes the mpeg on the fly, thus the drastic quality loss. The other two editors I know of that will do basic editing on Dtivo Vobs without rerendering are Womble Mpeg-vcr, and Cuttermaran, that's it. I'm not sure about the new version of Womble.
    VideoReDo does a very nice job as well.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Hendersonville, TN (just outside of Nashville)

Since a Dtivo stream is mpeg2, you need an svcd/DVD player for playback, such as WinDVD or PowerDVD. There ARE codecs that will allow Mpeg2 playback in Media Player, however they may choke on the weird Tystream mpeg but be happy with a regular mpeg. Mainconcept is one such codec that behaves thus. I use winDVD to assure that a Tystream Vob is ok..
    Aha! Thank you. Nicely explained. I need to play around with GOP editor to see just what I can do with it. My main goal is being able to burn a good looking DVD, but I would also like to use some of the TV scenes/clips in a DVD project I am working on.

In the latter(taking clips of these TV shows and putting them in a DVD project I am pulling together) there is no way around the quality loss because the project will be edited in Vegas?
    Last edited by Growler; 08-22-2006 at 06:14 PM.

29 More complication

In the latter(taking clips of these TV shows and putting them in a DVD project I am pulling together) there is no way around the quality loss because the project will be edited in Vegas?

I sometimes have to mix Dtivo-sourced files with laserdisc caps and DVDrips in the same 24fps project. To make the 720X480 IVTC'd AVIs (from Dtivo)that are subsequently used in Premiere or Liquid I use a combination of AVIsynth with Mpeg2enc for video, VirtualdubMod for audio, and DVD2AVI for a .tpr IVTC frameserve, then use the Sony DV codec or YV12 raw for AVI. Doing things one at a time is the best way to preserve as much quality as possible - and maintain audio sync, that can be tricky. The final project is then rendered with HCencode, the best mpeg2 encoder out there, and it's free. The output, after judicious use of filters, can look better than the source.

HELP I am at a loss.

OK, I used to have it working, but new computer, new hardware, not so much now.

I am using the latest version 10r14 and CYGWIN. When I first start tytool, and hit refresh I am able to get my Now Showing list, just fine. But if I select a show and either get the show or get parts, in any mode, I get a very small file (0 to 384k) that is about it, nothing more... ever.

It sits forever, and when I try to abort the process, usually nothing happens. Sometimes it does abort successfully, but only half the time... Here is what I get in the txt file in multi mode

Sorry... The connection failed during setup.
    DiffTime = 0.000000 (0) == 0.000000 Minutes
    total = 1310720

My Server log
    Telneting to the TIVO...
    Connecting to '192.168.0.50'
    Connected...
    We got 'TiVo: {/var/tmp} % ' which is the prompt!
    TiVo: {/var/tmp} % /var/hack/tserver
    Doing the Lowest PriorityFix...
    Waiting for an incoming connection!
    SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'SHOWING'
    SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'TYSTRM2 192.168.0.2 1459 1615275'
    -> '1615275'

and My client window
    Trancode Selected Mode: 0
    Ready...
    Reading list from the server...
    Clear Now Showing List...
    Connected...
    Getting NowShowing data...
    Total Size = 18017 bytes in 6.703000 seconds...

Name = 'd:\Download\TIVO\Videos\Lucky Louie-Confession'
    fsIDs = '1615275'
    Tivo Address = '192.168.0.50'
    Connected...
    Aborting processing....

anyone have any idea what is going on, I have tried installing the tserver again and again...

I sometimes have to mix Dtivo-sourced files with laserdisc caps and DVDrips in the same 24fps project. To make the 720X480 IVTC'd AVIs (from Dtivo)that are subsequently used in Premiere or Liquid I use a combination of AVIsynth with Mpeg2enc for video, VirtualdubMod for audio, and DVD2AVI for a .tpr IVTC frameserve, then use the Sony DV codec or YV12 raw for AVI. Doing things one at a time is the best way to preserve as much quality as possible - and maintain audio sync, that can be tricky. The final project is then rendered with HCencode, the best mpeg2 encoder out there, and it's free. The output, after judicious use of filters, can look better than the source
    Kinda new to all this are you? Obviously, I am joking.

I have run in to the audio sync thing a couple times. When you say "doing things one at time" what exactly do you mean?

I have read of processing your audio and video separately, but doing that seemed like it would give me more a risk of audio/video sync problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mick1313 View Post
    OK, I used to have it working, but new computer, new hardware, not so much now.

I am using the latest version 10r14 and CYGWIN. When I first start tytool, and hit refresh I am able to get my Now Showing list, just fine. But if I select a show and either get the show or get parts, in any mode, I get a very small file (0 to 384k) that is about it, nothing more... ever.

It sits forever, and when I try to abort the process, usually nothing happens. Sometimes it does abort successfully, but only half the time... Here is what I get in the txt file in multi mode

Sorry... The connection failed during setup.
    DiffTime = 0.000000 (0) == 0.000000 Minutes
    total = 1310720

My Server log
    Telneting to the TIVO...
    Connected...
    We got 'TiVo: {/var/tmp} % ' which is the prompt!
    TiVo: {/var/tmp} % /var/hack/tserver
    Doing the Lowest PriorityFix...
    SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'SHOWING'
    SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'TYSTRM2 192.168.0.2 1459 1615275'
    -> '1615275'

and My client window
    Trancode Selected Mode: 0
    Ready...
    Reading list from the server...
    Clear Now Showing List...
    Connected...
    Getting NowShowing data...
    Total Size = 18017 bytes in 6.703000 seconds...

Name = 'd:\Download\TIVO\Videos\Lucky Louie-Confession'
    fsIDs = '1615275'
    Tivo Address = '192.168.0.50'
    Connected...
    Aborting processing....

anyone have any idea what is going on, I have tried installing the tserver again and again...
    Please provide more infomation about your network and the network devices, hubs, cards, switches, routers, wireless adapters, static IPs, DHCP IPs, etc.

BTW, these times and timeouts might be realistic if you're using the serial port ( had to say that before someone else did).

Don't forget to check all the settings in the old (working) system to see what's different if it's still available.

ew

Thanks for the info. I understand (I think).

My goal is to take a file from the HD D*Tivo and create a file (with minimal quality loss) that can be edited within my video editing program.

Is the issue that there is virtually no quality loss when working within TyTool?
    Don't forget that most DirecTV streams are 480x480. Almost all other editing tools will re-encode to a DVD legal format (say 720x480).

The only place you can lose quality is at FAE cuts - the GOP with that Frame cut has to be re-encoded.

Mutiplex Stopping

I have an issue with Tytool on my new system. Somtimes while multiplexing the process will stop leaving me with an incomplete file. I have traced this down to the GOP editor cut file. If I have used the fine adjustment tool to add the cut it will cuase this problem. If I add all the cuts with the standard tool, I have no problem with multiplexing. Anyone have any Ideas? I am using the latest version.

Thanks,

Jdiner still around?

Has anyone heard from Josh lately? I hope he is still ok...
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Lotnar View Post
    I have an issue with Tytool on my new system. Somtimes while multiplexing the process will stop leaving me with an incomplete file. I have traced this down to the GOP editor cut file. If I have used the fine adjustment tool to add the cut it will cuase this problem. If I add all the cuts with the standard tool, I have no problem with multiplexing. Anyone have any Ideas? I am using the latest version.

Thanks,
    It's just a guess, but maybe you don't have the right version of cygwin1.dll. Less likely would be the wrong setting for the Quality in the tytool.ini file. You don't the a lenght limit, do you? You could also try changing the setting for fixing audio holes.

ew

Quote Originally Posted by ADent View Post
    Don't forget that most DirecTV streams are 480x480. Almost all other editing tools will re-encode to a DVD legal format (say 720x480).

The only place you can lose quality is at FAE cuts - the GOP with that Frame cut has to be re-encoded.

Understood. Thanks.

I can see that if I want to use the video as-is (-edits from GOP/FAE editor) then it is best to do all the edits in GOP editor and burn to DVD.
    If I want to do authoring in another program what are the individual steps to get there and do that?

I also plan to mix portions of the recorded media in to some family dvds. This would require creating a file that I could place in my video editor along with all the other video files.
    What is the best way to approach this scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by krx View Post
    Thanks for the response - I'd searched for info on this, but was beginning to think that it was just me.
    You're welcome! Thanks for your detective work too. I have noticed that the old vsplit (version jdiner 2.01 Alpha #13c - mux1N) has the -s option which I use and is described as
    Code:
    -s  Run in SA comaptible mode. Skip 0x10 sized audio records.
    The later version of vsplit (version jdiner beta 9r15) doesn't have an option for our SA tivos, so that (and the "0x10 sized audio records") may have something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tivomaster View Post
    Has anyone heard from Josh lately? I hope he is still ok...
    anyone, anyone...

Need some help with GOP editor. In the options menu the default is no resize.

When I open a file it fills the whole screen and none of the slider controls are visible.

When I click on resize to 1/4 or 1/2 an error window pops up saying,

"GopEditor.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Edit, It worked by opening the file first then clicking resize to 1/2.
    Last edited by Jetstream; 09-03-2006 at 06:57 PM.
    (1) HR10-250 Fully Hacked, 6.3a-01-2-357
    (1) HR20 Given to Daughter and Grandkids because, as DTV puts it, " It's better than the HR10-250" Yeah right!