Page 30 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: TyTool 10r4 - Extraction/Frame Accurate Editing/DVD output/Closed Captioning...

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Druid
    (a) You know I wasn't complaining about your tool, but responding to someone else right? I'd hate do seem rude for no reason.
    (b) You seriously had 99 on a disc? Um, blanks cost like what...less than a dollar? Wouldn't it have been a bit easier to split them?

And, actually, what show was this that 99 episodes fit on a disc?
    Hahahah. yeah I know. Not upset just trying to help with the explanation. As for 99 eps it was NOT a show. it was a 10 meg test clip with CC data in it.

As for the cost, I wasn't burning for real. I used a DVD-Rw disk. I was only testing out how many things could be put into a menu... Which is why I can say with such confidence that there it can do 99 but 100 is the actual spec value...

--jdiner

Quote Originally Posted by WinBear
    I've been playing with music videos and I've been seeing the capacity of a DVD5 to be about 50-55 tracks. I setup a really busy 54 episode menu which is very tedious for assigning vobs in TyTool.
    Use the "Auto Assign Names" feature in the menu creator. 1 click and all 54 are set. Of course doing that is greatly helped by pre-formatting the names on disk to get the order you want in the menu.

BTW, there are a ton of new features in place now for the creation of the menu. Primarily keyboard shortcuts but it makes it a ton faster to create the menus. This was something I should have done a long time ago I was just focused elsewhere.

--jdiner

Wink

so stop teasing us with the new features and release it already :-)

by the way, any chance of updateing the linux vsplit as well? it's been quite a few releases since that was updated.

I prefer to take my time and cut out commercials, but sometimes it's just easier to batch convert a bunch of things at once. (especially when I'm loaning them to a firend on a USB hard drive and they aren't going to be actually burning DVD's

Quote Originally Posted by jdiner
    Yeah... The GOP based editing is a "stupid" mechanism that just removes data. The field order isn't preserved, the timestamps aren't altered...

The FAE editor preserves field order, alters timestamps properly etc... I would honestly doubt that you will have much luck with the GOP level of editing.
    Please forgive my ignorance if I'm misunderstanding this, but can you differentiate between the criteria to have the field order maintained? If I have a cut list that falls solely on GOP boundaries does that mean I could be losing field order? Should I be using the FAE on each cut even if they happen to fall on a GOP boundary? Should I do this on every cut or just once for each cut list?

Sorry for all the questions as I'm sure you have better things to do. I've been having problems with some SD DTivo streams and I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing some important capabilities in TyTool. I know most non-linear editors don't preserve field order if the changes fall within cuts.
    try out my automated tserver client here

Hey, guess what you're all accessories to? ~ Bender B. Rodriguez

I have been toying with the code needed to mask these off during DVD playback. The code isn't ready yet. To be honest having not looked at it for a few months it is possible that it won't work out at all. The trouble is that it is only possible when playing things back as a true DVD. I intend to revisit the problem and my solution and see what I can get working.

--jdiner
    I created a shortcut on my desktop that crops off the offending lines (and also blank regions on the left and right) on playback, using mplayer - VLC can do it too I think - to play back a tivo-sourced file, I just drag the file from Windows Explorer onto that icon, and it fires up with the messies cropped off:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...539#post250539

green splotches of crud right before commercial edits?

I have an Intel chip machine (Pentium D, if it matters) that I use for video processing - when I cut out commercials using GOP Editor, and then multiplex to MPG, sometimes my commercial removal points are preceded by a blast of big green blocks - I tried both the AMD and Intel settings, but doesn't seem to matter which I choose. Is there anything else that I can try to fix this?

HD audio problems

I had a problem similar to the one reported by several users here. I have an HR10-250 from which I'm able to download HD .ty files, but after muxing them to .mpg I had no audio in ANY of my HD mpgs (audio in SD is OK).

None of the suggestions here seemed to work for me and I was getting very frustrated.

I even tried a few HD clips that were only 90 seconds long. When I muxed them I had no bad blocks reported. I tried muxing them with 0 jump, and setting jump to 100. I ran gspot and it didn't report any errors (audio is DOLBY_AC3 with no missing codecs reported). I messed around with the preferences - fill/don't fill AC3 holes, fill/don't fill layer II holes, etc. Same result every time.

I was about to give up and ask for help when I finally nailed it. So here's what worked for me, and what people can try if they have trouble in the future.

First, I installed the AC3 codec from here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm . This ultimately did the trick, so even though gspot said I had the codec I needed, I did not. For the noob's all you have to do is run the downloadable exe and the codec is installed. Nothing fancy.

Second, even after installing the codec, I still thought I had a problem because the volume of the mpegs was SO LOW. I barely noticed the faintest sound, but it was enough to make me crank the volume up all the way and even then the volume was really low. But I knew it was working. I've only tried two or three ty files so far, but they have all worked with no sync problems at all.

I had the box checked to fill in AC3 holes (I've seen suggestions to mux both ways).

YMMV of course.

I'm sure another night or two of research will turn up the answer to this question. But maybe someone can throw me a bone since I'm a noob myself and trying to contribute. I burned a DVD in Nero and the thing plays fine in a PC but is a mess on a standalone DVD player. Can you hook me up with a good link to help me get it right? If not, just ignore me instead of flaming me.

Volume issues

What does the Alter Volume option in the preferences do? I've searched as thoroughly as I can but can't find the answer.

My muxed HD mpgs have really low volume when played in WMP (SD seems OK so far - I just started using tytool). I've tried entering all kinds of values into the Alter Volume field but the volume is the same no matter what value I use.

Am I mistaken in thinking that Alter Volume is supposed to raise/lower the volume of the muxed file? If so, what can I do to get the volume up?

Quote Originally Posted by phat_bastard
    5) Decomb and re-encode with Quenc (stripped-down avisynth clone)
    You may want to check and compare the RFF/TFF flags in the original and final mpeg files; if they get changed then you can end up with similar playback problems. I can't speak specifically to the tools you're using or standalone streams, so it's just a suggestion. My experience is with DTivo streams, which either jump in and out of a telecine pattern or use the flags almost at random. The video transcoding tool I used didn't preserve the original flags, so fields in the resulting mpeg were often presented out of order causing the picture to appear to jump or skip. I've managed to work around this problem, but not in any releasable form unfortunately....

Quote Originally Posted by ensor999
    You may want to check and compare the RFF/TFF flags in the original and final mpeg files; if they get changed then you can end up with similar playback problems.
    After a bit more reading and experimentation I'm 99% positive field dominance is the problem. All my Dish rips were MPEG2 PS that I cut using Womble. I've since done some testing and it's evident that Womble's editors do not preserve field dominance changes within the stream (a technique used prevalently in sat DBS). A few posts earlier in this thread Josh stated that the frame accurate cuts in TyTool preserve field dominance, so I've edited some of the problem streams with it making sure to avoid cutting on GOP boundaries. I haven't had a chance to test the results on the tivo, but the playback in VLC using bob deinterlace _LOOKS_ perfect to me. I'm guessing that the field dominance flag is put in the pack headers, and with Womble (and evidently VideoRedo also) I suppose it assumes / uses the first field dominance flag it finds for the entire stream.

Quote Originally Posted by phat_bastard
    After a bit more reading and experimentation I'm 99% positive field dominance is the problem.
    I concur with your conclusion, though I'll see your 99% and raise you that remaining 1%.

I've wrestled with some horrific field-order issues when transcoding 1080i HD "video" from my DTivo to NTSC DVD-Video. I use the term "video" to refer to stuff with 60 unique Frames (720p) or fields (1080i) per second, versus stuff with only 24 unique Frames per second which I call "film". Turns out, as others have mentioned, that DirecTV mpeg streams will go in and out of "soft telecine" mode even during "video" broadcasts, sometimes with an odd number of Frames with RFF set, the net result of which is a reversal in field dominance.

After much painful experimentation, I found a way in mplayer/mencoder to deal with this, but only partially, because I had to disable mencoder's A/V sync mechanism in order for it to work. But this method did work extremely well for the 5-hours worth of The Masters I had recorded in 1080i and transcoded to DVD for my bro' who, for reasons unclear to me, wanted to keep it. <g>

The solution in mencoder is to use the softpulldown filter which, in essence, "unpacks" the RFF-tagged Frames into "hard" Frames with no RFF set (i.e., it "hard" duplicates the necessary fields as directed by the RFF/TFF flags). In the process, it makes everything TFF, which was an added bonus for me since my target was DVD. Here's the command line I use, which produces an intermediate output format of AVI with "as large as necessary" mpeg4 video and AC3 audio (I then use avidemux2 to create the dvd compliant mpg2):

Code:
    mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -of avi -vf softpulldown,crop=width:height,scale=720:480:1 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=2:aspect=16/9:ildct:ilme -noskip -mc 0 -fps 30000/1001 -ofps 30000/1001 -o outputfile.avi inputfile.mpg
    This is all from memory though, so I might have omitted something. I can double check this in a week or so when my computer is back on line.

Hope this helps,
    WB

Yeah... The GOP based editing is a "stupid" mechanism that just removes data. The field order isn't preserved, the timestamps aren't altered. It was brute force, ugly as sin, and worked reasonably well. Scary really. The FAE editor preserves field order, alters timestamps properly etc... I would honestly doubt that you will have much luck with the GOP level of editing.
    Hi jdiner, thanks for the reply and thanks for all of your work on TyTool. We very much appreciate it!

Your response kinda confuses me though, cuz I've never been able to get the FAE to work on HD sources, and have (with very few exceptions) always been able to get GOP level editing to work. I wonder if I'm doing something dumb, or if my HD .ty files are particularly heinous. If you're interested, PM me and I'll make one available to you, but it will be a week or so before I can actually do this since my main PC is currently dead in the water.

WB

Quote Originally Posted by wbelhaven
    This is all from memory though, so I might have omitted something. I can double check this in a week or so when my computer is back on line.
    Not necessary - I think I've found what I need now. Since my goal is to remux to .ty solely for playback on the DTivos I shouldn't need to re-encode anything that I can edit in TyTool to preserve the field dominance.

Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho
    ..I've tried entering all kinds of values into the Alter Volume field but the volume is the same no matter what value I use...
    Amazing that you should post this today. I just this moment tried it and encountered the very same issue.

Tried -2000 and +20000 and there is no change to the audio level at all from 0. I am using Multiplex mode and audio option #4 DVD 48 @160kbps.

I've done lots of searching and can't find any discussion of this, nor is there anything in the docs of substance.

Can anybody say that they've used it and it works?
    Philips Standalone v3.01 w/2-80G drives and Tivonet.

Quote Originally Posted by laserfan
    Can anybody say that they've used it and it works?
    Yes.

EDIT: I had meant to go back and finish this post but never got the time until now. I have had it working. it was of course pre-crash. Rowan did the work to get it working. I expect that I simply lost the alteration. I will verify that what is going on for the release I am desperate to make this weekend. So look for it then.

--jdiner
    Last edited by jdiner; 04-28-2006 at 04:25 PM.