Page 65 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: TyTool 10r4 - Extraction/Frame Accurate Editing/DVD output/Closed Captioning...

Quote Originally Posted by tas3086 View Post
    It's been a long time, and surprisingly, things are still working pretty good.
    Yeah it has. Longer than I had planned. Part of why I stayed away is that is things just kept working. I would like to say I have a great new version of TyTool set aside but it has been working so well for me that I haven't even looked at the source in a long time. I am not saying I don't have some stuff I have been playing with but it seems to me to be very external to the core of TyTool.

I'd like to see a "Find Commercial start/end" button in the editor that can hunt for the next black screen. It would be nice to play the sequence as the search is progressing (toward the start, or toward the end of a commercial sequence), with the ability to stop it if it appears that we went too far.
    This one was discussed before a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away... The problem was that the decoder takes some time and it means literally decoding for playback the entire frame. Now not rendering them makes that faster but things are still a little slower than I would like.

I have toyed with going SIMD on the core of the decoder, as it is rather perfectly setup for that. Doing so should give enough of a speed boost to make it work. But the SIMD/MMX coding wasn't really my thing 2 years ago and believe it or not it still isn't. You know my brother just moved back to near where I live and it was his thing. I will ask him if he can donate some time and get back to you on this one. If we can make it fast enough then I am all for it.

--jdiner

Quote Originally Posted by khig View Post
    Hey Josh, glad to see you're still alive. My suggestion is still what it was a year ago.
    Alright I will make sure that one is still on the list.

--jdiner

Quote Originally Posted by SithLord View Post
    Hey there, josh. Forget about woman and getting married. Everyone here loves ya.

OK, on a serious, less gay note...

Anything that can be done for the HR10-250s? I think it's a known fact that one can't really use TyTools with the HR10-250s. Something about the MUXing or other things.
    I use it with mine all the time. But I don't record off the air. So I assuming that it is a problem with things that are OTA. Is that the case or is it this oddness that is coming from the new OS version?

--jdiner

Quote Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post
    The best thing I have seen for the HR10s it to download the show in TMF version using MFS tools. Then there is a TMF2TY converter. Let me know if you can't find the converter. Haven't had any problems once I started using that. TyTool simple won't work. Really Wish Josh would return and update it. His little creation is awesome !
    Uh I did return.

I download from my HDtivo all the time. No processing problems of any kind. I am using 10r4 as well. Might be 10r5 but I just started that a little while ago and it is as I mentioned external changes....

So as I asked before, what is the means in use? Are we talking HD streams from movie channels? OTA? What... I need a bit more info and I will do my best to get this fixed.

--jdiner

Quote Originally Posted by stichnot View Post
    I was getting excited by the closed captioning support that was close to working with my two DVD players.
    Actually this is one of the things that I have been working on. It kind of bugged my to leave it where I did. BTW the filtering you mention was actually already in place. I was cutting tons and I mean tons of data to try and get it to work. So anyway I went back to the drawing board looking for things that would work. I came up with a few things here that should really help....

First I found a much more minimal way to do the re-encoding but it was still using the external encoder and I didn't like that. So I have been working on replacing the encoder with a custom one that wouldn't spin up as an external app. Then using a few other options to get more memory in use would be an all internal pipeline for encoding. It doesn't have to happen as much as I was thinking before but it is still slower.

Second I went back over the video itself looking to see what I could see about getting this information back on the old DVDs... I found what looks to be enough information, some of this work is old old old, for pulling it out long after the DVD has been made. I.e. decoding the "white noise" at the top of the image for re-processing. You would need to remaster the disks to get it working but it would be a seemless, albeit somewhat slow in comparison, process to just making the disks in the first place.

Third, I looked at what it would take to just write a CC decoder, since I was 90% of the way there for my testing purposes already. I mean I display them and I looked at each element for the filtering purposes. Then using this decoder I would turn them not into CC the way I was trying to do but turn them in to DVD sub-titles directly. The time I worked on this stuff this is where I was focusing.

I am not actually sure which approach is best anymore. The first one had the benefit of fixing long GOPs which was a real no-no anyway, also helped with blocks of data that were too "big" for the decoders (i.e. the sometimes jumpy playback on certain players I.e. Sony). The second has the benefit of working everywhere. But generating the images and doing the CC conversation was complex enough that it was shaping up to be some serious work. It is one thing to display as it goes and another to figure out timings to have the DVD sub-titles work "just like" the CC engine.

Anyway it is still on the list but not the top element anymore.

I remember one person talking about either being or going deaf here on the forum. The "redo" on the CC information was in a direct attempt to help people like that out.

--jdiner

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    I'm sure by now you've heard about the various issues with HDTivos and 6.3x, so that would be a good place to sink your teeth into. While there hasn't been anything posted so far that I'm aware of regarding a nocso hack for the S3 Tivo, I've heard rumors that it uses a different structure than the ty files we have become accustomed to. That sounds like it might be right up your alley.
    OOOhhh sounds like fun! Hummm. Get me one of these files and I will use it to fill up my spare time.

I had not heard of an S3 Tivo. How new are they?

--jdiner

Sorry Josh, We were out of the country and couldn't respond. We are recording using two HR10s running 6.3 a ,b or c and we seem to get about 1/3 of the show transfered out of the whole show. Say a 900 Meg 1 hour show will come down as 250. I am still in the Caymans right now So I can't really send you anything yet. Really good to see your back... I don't remember the error I was getting but my 6.2a machines (samsung ) machines are working perfectly with 10r4
    (2) HR10-250 500 GB upgraded to 6.4a
    (2) HR20s
    JimW

More on that. It doesn't matter if it's D*TV or OTA both seem to have the same problem.

Anyone else out there who can send Josh the errors we are getting ???
    (2) HR10-250 500 GB upgraded to 6.4a
    (2) HR20s
    JimW

Quote Originally Posted by jdiner View Post
    OOOhhh sounds like fun! Hummm. Get me one of these files and I will use it to fill up my spare time.

--jdiner

I've got a couple off air shows that will nat make it past a few meg of the key
    generation process (only reads into the .ty a few MB before crashing).

Each on is quite large, but will fit on a DVD9, orr I can try to figure out how
    to trim the show down to a few minutes, which should be enough to
    demonstrate the issue.

PM me your prefered delivery method and I'll get something out tonight or tomorrow.

Mine is off getting the PROM modified but I should have it back tomorrow. I've still got to hack it before I can get some shows off of it. Hopefully I'll have that done by the weekend, if not sooner.

The S3 Tivo is a dual tuner HD model designed to work with both OTA and digital cable. I believe it was introduced sometime in the latter half of last year IIRC. It has two cablecard slots so you can use it without a decoder box. It will also record in-the-clear QAM channels if your service provider is transmitting any over their cable. The S3 also works with the new Verizon FIOS service which I am fortunate enough to have just signed up for in my area. I'll be dropping DTV in short order once I get the S3 up and running with extraction capability and a larger hard drive. The only thing I need now is a utility to process the files after pulling them off the Tivo. I'll be more than happy to supply you with whatever files you need once I get this sucker going.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Oh!Oh! I got one...

If I remember correctly, before your hiatus you were planning to
    get a 64bit system, and an X64 native version of TyTool MIGHT
    have been in the works (OK, thought about).

64bit support would be nice coupled with a slightly different
    approach to creating key files/muxing. A tunable buffer that
    would allow system with a lot of memory to minimize disk seeks
    (read 2~3GB of a file in, make key/mux, write 2~3GB out, repeat
    until the file is complete).

I try to use a seperate source/target drive to improve performance,
    but seem to have peaked at around ~1.6GB a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post
    Sorry Josh, We were out of the country and couldn't respond. We are recording using two HR10s running 6.3 a ,b or c and we seem to get about 1/3 of the show transfered out of the whole show. Say a 900 Meg 1 hour show will come down as 250. I am still in the Caymans right now So I can't really send you anything yet. Really good to see your back... I don't remember the error I was getting but my 6.2a machines (samsung ) machines are working perfectly with 10r4
    Wait there I will come to you...

Wow the Caymans... I have never been there. St. Thomas is great and definately worth returning too but I need to try somewhere else as well...

For the moment I am just going to be gathering bad streams. I need to know what the difference is clearly before trying to fix it.

--jdiner

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    I'll be dropping DTV in short order once I get the S3 up and running with extraction capability and a larger hard drive.
    Dropping DTV? LA LA LA LA *fingers in ears*

Hehehe... Personally I like mine well enough that i will be here to turn the lights off.

--jdiner

Quote Originally Posted by JustDan View Post
    If I remember correctly, before your hiatus you were planning to
    get a 64bit system, and an X64 native version of TyTool MIGHT
    have been in the works (OK, thought about).
    Hehehe... I had wondered if this one would show up again. I have indeed gotten one. 3 as a matter of fact. One with 4gb of ram in it and a dual core blazingly fast CPU. I wasn't dead after all.

So a 64bit version is indeed in the works. Infact it goes a long way towards fixing certain timestamp issues.

I haven't worked out exactly what buffering scheme I want to use yes but I am working on plugging everything into the buffer in a good way. So that it would load the file once from disk and then run everything start to finish, when possible, from the memory buffer. Limits you to 1 show start to finish but with enough ram you can make a key, edit it, and produce the final output with about 1.4gb of ram. Easy to come by in a 64 bit machine.

Thanks for bringing this one up.

--jdiner

Super cool

That is great news. I've got a few 1207 dual core chips waiting for me to pick a board. The current dual Oppy 250 system only has 3GB, but I can see bumping that in a hurry if I finally have tools to use it.

By the way, I PM'd you with links to three short samples of streams extracted from 6.3C, 2 off air HD and a SD clip, about 3 minutes of the SD clip and about 1 minute of the HD, which all exihibt the problems right from the start.