Page 82 of 84 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1257

Thread: TyTool 10r4 - Extraction/Frame Accurate Editing/DVD output/Closed Captioning...

Quote Originally Posted by kadiir View Post
    You said "so a new DVD player, then" to which I (half-jokingly) replied to check it against videohelp.com
    Ah, right. Sorry. Yeah.

My point was that, even if I do get a new one, I hope it is the DVD reccorder that's faulty and causing disc-skips (which is why I was trying extraction in the first place) and not the discs I am using. However, there are a couple of different brands in the mix so they can't all be dodgy

captain_video makes some good points as well - I, too, much prefer VideoReDo over TyTool and media is always a concern regardless of burner or player.
    I'm sure he does, but it's not something I can afford to buy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman1013 View Post
    Captain, do you use the commercial detection feature and how well does it work?

Also do you have the new Suite version which makes it easy to master episode DVDs? I am wondering if the Suite version is almost as easy as the template based way I do them with TyTemplate and BoxMenu. It is so easy with BoxMenu, I just pick a bunch of VOBs and it autonames the entries in the DVD menus for me based on the filenames and the templates allow me just to quickly pick one that suites the number of episodes I have. The only thing it is missing is a Play All button so I was thinking of updating BoxMenu to do this since the code it there and I am a programmer.
    I think I tried the commercial detection feature when it first came out and didn't care for it all that much so I stopped using it. I've always been suspect of commercial detection programs as I've never seen one that's 100% effective. OTOH, I have heard lots of reports that it works well for many people. It's something you'd have to try for yourself to see if you like it.

I just have the basic version of VRD and never saw the need to upgrade. I rarely author standard DVDs these days and I use generally DVD-Lab for that task since it's very Tivo-friendly. I probably wouldn't use the extra features supplied in the VRD Suite, but YMMV.
    Last edited by captain_video; 01-08-2009 at 08:12 AM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Captain, do you use the commercial detection feature and how well does it work?
    If I may butt in, it works pretty well but like most commercial detection routines it's looking for fade out/in and so there are false positives. I record Formula 1 races for a friend of mine and about 20% of the detected commercials aren't commercial breaks.

On shows that don't fade out/in other than for commercials, though, it's pretty accurate.

You can always edit what it detects, though.

Very true, I found thru research that the best most reliable brand is Taiyo Yuden. But then you also have to be careful who you buy from because there are many counterfitters out there of the media. The most reliable online store for media is rima.com and the prices are great as well.

I just bought some of these and they are excellent.

Taiyo Yuden Hard Coat DVD-R 4.7GB, 16X, Scratch-Resistant, 100-Pack

They are fingerprint and scratch resistent. And the thermal white background looks great when I print on them with my Thermal Primera DVD/CD Label Printer.
    Yes, TY is typically the best but I've read recently (the past year or so) that not all TY discs are created equal - you have to be careful of the factory used.

Also, I find DVD+R better - one can't bitset a DVD-R
    1 RCA DVR80 (RID + 6.2a on 500GB)
    1 Samsung SIR-4080R (RID + 6.2a on 500GB)

Quote Originally Posted by cwaring View Post
    However, there are a couple of different brands in the mix so they can't all be dodgy
    Actually, they could be - depends on the brands & where they were manufactured.

I second (or third) the vote for Taiyo Yudens. They're basically all I use for archive DVDs. I use the inkjet printable discs so I can print labels directly on them with my Epson R300 printer. For non-crucial recordings (i.e., watch once or only occasionally) I use Ritek DVD-Rs. I also use DVD-RW discs for recording TV shows or making copies of movies and such for friends and family that will only be viewed once and then returned to me.

I don't have much experience with DVD+R media, mainly because very few players I've run across would play the recordings made on them. I found this out when I purchased a recording of a musical that my daughter performed in back in college. They transferred the video to DVD+R disc and it wouldn't play on any DVD player I owned nor would it play on any player owned by other members of my family. I had to go out and buy a DVD burner that could read and write both DVD+/-R discs so I could make a copies on -R media and allow us to view the recording. I've never found a player that would not work with a DVD-R disc. I would imagine that most late model players are compatible with both types of media.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

It's been a while since I looked into it, but I think the key with +R was the bitsetting - if one couldn't bitset the +R to DVD-ROM there wasn't much point (other than being longer lasting in theory).

My +R recordings have worked on several players (different brands/models) but as like I said earlier I had that one friend where it didn't work.

If -R works, use it!

Well blow me down! You may remember I made one DVD that did not play right on either my DVDR70 or my dad's newer Sony. Well, I just bought a Philips DVDR2840 and the disk works perfectly in it That's no use! Oh well. I can just do them in real-time now anyway.

Onto my next task... streaming Tivo content over my network. Wonder if I'll have any better luck?!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    I haven't used TyTools for editing ever since I discovered VideoReDo.
    To be fair, TyTool has not been updated in almost two years. Josh approached me a little over a year ago asking if I thought an upgrade to TyTool would be worthwhile. I said I thought it would, but either he decided against it for his own reasons or else has not been able to come up with sufficient time to put out another release. I'm not doing DVDs any longer, and TyTool's editor won't work on HD material, but I still use TyTool to transfer programs from my TiVo HD before editing them using Video Redo and putting them onto the video server. Video Redo's additional features possibly notwithstanding, it would be really nice to be able to do it all from one program.

It's not freeware but it's well worth the investment if you extract and create a lot of DVDs. I haven't found an editing program that works with all kinds of Tivo files as well as VideoReDo.
    To my knowledge, it won't work with .ty files. I wish it would, because I have to run the .ty files through s3tots (or I could use tytompg) before editing with Video Redo, but sometimes s3tots fails, and when it does I am unable to recover the recording. I suspect running Quickfix would help, if only Quickfix worked with .ty files.

It's much easier to use than TyTools for your editing chores.
    Well, as I mentioned, it been almost two years since TyTool has been updated. Josh was thinking about implementing many of the features in Video Redo before he dropped out of site. The two are actually rather similar.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 01-17-2009 at 01:13 AM.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    To be fair, TyTool has not been updated in almost two years.
    I just wanted to say that I like TyTool and when I was using it, it did exactly what I needed. I "grew" to the point where I needed something more on the editing side and moved on to VideoReDo.

I still think it's a great program, though

I just wanted to say that I like TyTool and when I was using it, it did exactly what I needed. I "grew" to the point where I needed something more on the editing side and moved on to VideoReDo.

I still think it's a great program, though
    I agree. I still use it for all my extracting. I just can no longer use it for editing, being it will not edit .ty files from a Series III class TiVo.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Hello all,

As they say, long time lurker...first time poster. I got struck by lightening and had to re-do a couple of the DTIVOs that I had previously hacked. Long story short, I got everything going, but now have a problem with episode data not showing up in the TyTool list when extracting. The extraction is fine and I can make DVDs, etc. with no problem. Seems similar to this post i found when searching (from 2006)...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenovacsis View Post
    I have been using TyTools for a long time with no problems, but now after retrieving the Now Playing List, the episode information is not there for any except some old items. Using TivoWeb, I can see the episode data though. It started in the last couple of months.

Any ideas?

Software System: 6.2a-01-2-381
    TyTools #10 Rel 4
    I am running 6.2a on the DTIVOs. I have read to use MFS_FTP as an alternative, and was just wondering if this is still the best way to go, or if there a fix to the missing episode names in TyYools? I did try using the Nowhowing.tcl (think I got the name right, I'm at work now?) and it did not work either. If MFS_FTP is the way to go, just let me know and I'll do that.

Thanks in advance and thank you to everyone for the posts that led a non-unix savvy user through the hack(s) on four different machines.

-Brian

If you can get it to work, mfs_ftp is usually the safest bet (IMO).

As far as your episode data goes, I think it could be a few things.

First off, are you using the newer tserver & NowShowing files in this post?

kadiir,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I just tried the solution you offered and it worked like a champ. Thank you very much. I'm going to stick with TyTools for now, it works for what I want to do.

Thanks again I appreciate the help.

-Brian

Ah, don't thank me - just repeating what others have said (I'd list them if I actually knew who said what - I've read too much ).

mpeg file no audio

Hello,

I have a small problem and hoping someone can suggest a solution for this. I have transferred a show from my series 1 Tivo to my XP pc. After installing TyShow codecs I can play the ty file with Windows Media Player and everything works fine i.e. both video & audio works fine.

If I multiplex the file (using TyTool/File/Multiplex menu item) to generate a mpeg file I cannot hear audio but video works fine. My TyTool preferences as as follows:

Multiplex: Multiplex Format - Standard
    Audio: Transcoding Options - None. I also tried #5 - DVD - 48 @ 192
    Audio Extension: m2a

I would appreciate any suggestions to get the audio working in the mpeg output.

This is the correct way to generate a an mpeg output from the ty file right?

Thanks