Thread: can't upload prom.bin

can't upload prom.bin

I've got a bash (more or less, it's a little flakey but I cna execute getprom) but hen I type rz and send the file it promts some eird shit, it seems to send it but the file isn't there, I tried to save it to a floppy, boot from the cd and cp it over but it says the drive is full (or something to that effect)

HELP!
    any suggestions? has to be something stupid I'm doing. I'm using tera term, I have both a home made cable and a pronto cable.

oh and just in case when I got a bash I did a "mount -o remount,rw /" so the drive would be RW'able but it didn't help my situation at all..

I've never had to type rz, don't really need to remount. Just cd into /var somewhere and then send it using xmodem to the tivo. X seems to be the only one that works since this is not a full serial implementation.

Your drive should be nowhere close to full. (Unless you've been storing p0rn in /var )

Originally posted by IWantMyDTV
    I've never had to type rz, don't really need to remount. Just cd into /var somewhere and then send it using xmodem to the tivo. X seems to be the only one that works since this is not a full serial implementation.

Your drive should be nowhere close to full. (Unless you've been storing p0rn in /var )
    pr0n???! what's that?

I'll give it a shot! thanks for the tip.

nope, no dice

got it, needed to type rz and use z modem.

if anyone else is having trouble here's something to try

donload tera term (hyperterminal BLOOOWS)
    "cd /var"
    "rz"
    FILE-TRANSFER-ZMODEM-SEND
    select getprom
    it sends, gives you a bash
    FILE XFER ZMODEM SEND
    select prom.bin
    it sends, back to bash
    chmod +x getprom
    ./getprom -Update prom.bin

should take care of it. All of this was in other older threads (well besides the chmod +x, getprom didn't have permission to run so I had to change that..)
    Last edited by Aviator; 11-14-2001 at 02:02 AM.

My steps from hyperterminal:

cd /var
    TRANSFER - SEND FILE
    select getprom
    it sends
    TRANSFER - SEND FILE
    select prom.bin
    it sends
    chmod +x getprom

Not doubting you. Just to let you know my experience.

Actually, the only reason that I can see not to use Hyperterminal is if you are using Joe. (Joe requires a 25 line terminal, and Hyperterminal is hard coded for 24)

My steps from hyperterminal:

cd /var
    TRANSFER - SEND FILE
    select getprom
    it sends
    TRANSFER - SEND FILE
    select prom.bin
    it sends
    chmod +x getprom

Not doubting you. Just to let you know my experience.

Actually, the only reason that I can see not to use Hyperterminal is if you are using Joe. (Joe requires a 25 line terminal, and Hyperterminal is hard coded for 24)
    hyperterm won't talk to my box at all *shrug* I get a bash but <ret> does nothin at all, couldn't upload the file, couldn't CD nothin, dunno why
    not worth messing with since hyperterm isn't a very good term emulator to begin with.

Originally posted by Aviator
    not worth messing with since hyperterm isn't a very good term emulator to begin with.
    I don't get it. What makes a terminal program bad? I'm not supporting hyperterm, but I've always wondered how much better a basic terminal program can be?

Anyways, you may want to try typing the command 'stty sane' at the bash prompt when you run hyperterm. I had forgotten about that since I have my .bashrc doing it for me.

I don't get it. What makes a terminal program bad? I'm not supporting hyperterm, but I've always wondered how much better a basic terminal program can be?

Anyways, you may want to try typing the command 'stty sane' at the bash prompt when you run hyperterm. I had forgotten about that since I have my .bashrc doing it for me.
    I dunno. WHenever I've needed term for this, or setting up dsl modems for customers hyperterm always pukes. I dunno why it sucks. it just does

I guess hyperterminal is like pontiac in some respects. Quality sucks for the most part, but there are those few cars that run forever without problems that keep you guessing.