Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WeetHet - DirecTiVo to OS 6.2 + Hack + TyTool using InstantCake and PTVnet

Thumbs up WeetHet - DirecTiVo to OS 6.2 + Hack + TyTool using InstantCake and PTVnet

OK, I know you guys probably are going to hate me for this,... but I did it again: this time a guide for 6.2 ...

To avoid some of the "do not blindly follow the instructions" comments (which in certain respect are valid I guess), I used InstantCake and PTVnet, followed by NutKase his SuperPatch, and a "StandBy" fix. The detailed migration from 4 to 6.2, I will leave to David (excellent guide by the way).

This guide will wipe your old recordings, as stated in the guide.
    InstantCake and PTVnet make upgrading even to two drives a breeze.
    NutKase (and others) have outdone themselves again and the SuperPatch works awesome. In this forum I also found a way to get the "StandBy" (optional) back in the main menu.

See: WeetHet - DirecTiVo OS 6.2 hack

For that same purpose I wrote a "simple" guide how to use TyTool (10r4) tuned to match the OS 6.2 guide . TyTools has certainly grown and it's easy to install and use this,.. once you see how it's done.

See: WeetHet - Extract TiVo recordings with TyTool

Hope I do not upset too many people with this guide.

I have two questions: Your guide requires purchasing both Instantcake and PTVnet at $19.99 each. Except in rare cases, anyone wanting to hack a DirecTiVo already has a working system. Information on copying the existing drive to a new drive is readily available. All of the utilities installed by PTVnet (or their equivalent) are available as a free download in the files section. Why are you requiring purchase of $40 of unnecessary software?

Second, can we assume you will be handling all support questions personally, or will PTVupgrade provide that service?

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Why use InstantCake and PTVnet?
    As for buying the software; the InstantCake/PTVnet package just make it easy to use. (the whole procedure took me about 5 minutes when I applied it to my second TiVo)
    Also; most people doewnload their images from eMule and such - resulting in wrong, damaged, or corrupted images - causing even more issues/problems. By buying them you get a legal and good image for your TiVo.

Why not use the free individual downloadable packages?
    Because it gives more room for mistakes ... which would generate more questions and problems then when using these images. Which in turn would upset people at DealDatabase because of the additional unwanted support questions.

Based on reactions of the previous guide I made, I choose this option, since it was one of the main complaints from you guys. But it seems that for some reason people at DealDatabase are hard to please - no matter what one does there will always be something to complain about. (not intended as an insult, a sign of disrespect, or flaming! I do have a lot of respect for what the people at DealDatabase have done and are still doing for the TiVo community)

As a TiVo fan I believe in sharing the experience with others, help newbies on their way - as we all have been newbies at a certain point and at that time somebody else helped us get started. Why not relay the favor to others?

So now for your support question: please visit the PTVupgrade forum, I'll start a thread there ... so people can try to find support there as well.

Note: Seeing the number of compliments and succes-stories with the previous guide, I would say that maybe 5% runs into a problem. The other 95% seems to have no problems what so ever.
    Oh and quite a few of these issues are based on not reading the article properly.

No matter how many times you tell it some people still don't understand what this forum is supposed to be about. If your guide actually taught people how to hack a Tivo rather than providing a list of steps to blindly follow, then it might have some merit here. You'd be better off posting your link over the Tivo Community Forum where they would love to have such a guide and no doubt shower you with accollades. You should think about removing any references to TyTool or video extraction if you decide to do so. Most of the members there don't want to learn how to actually hack a Tivo but are just looking for the easiest way to have one hacked without doing any of the work. We actually relish the opportunity to learn and are more than happy to relay that knowledge to others that share that same notion.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by HanzaPlastiQue
    Why use InstantCake and PTVnet?
    As for buying the software; the InstantCake/PTVnet package just make it easy to use. (the whole procedure took me about 5 minutes when I applied it to my second TiVo)
    Also; most people doewnload their images from eMule and such - resulting in wrong, damaged, or corrupted images - causing even more issues/problems. By buying them you get a legal and good image for your TiVo.
    You seem to be missing the point. By now all unhacked Series 2 DirecTiVos are already running 6.2. In addition, the owner almost certainly has a number of recordings, preferences, and season passes set up. Copying the original drive to a new drive would preserve those, and is a simple process.

Why not use the free individual downloadable packages?
    Because it gives more room for mistakes ... which would generate more questions and problems then when using these images. Which in turn would upset people at DealDatabase because of the additional unwanted support questions.
    I note PTVupgrade's track record in providing prompt updates. Their ver 4.01 LBA-48 tools cd uses the obsolete version of bootpage; I'm not sure about their 'universal' boot cd. Certainly AlphaWolf has been making frequent improvements to his utility package, it seems pointless to pay for outdated utilities.
    Based on reactions of the previous guide I made, I choose this option, since it was one of the main complaints from you guys. But it seems that for some reason people at DealDatabase are hard to please - no matter what one does there will always be something to complain about. (not intended as an insult, a sign of disrespect, or flaming! I do have a lot of respect for what the people at DealDatabase have done and are still doing for the TiVo community)
    Given the number of requests by the senior people on this site that guides NOT be posted, your professed respect is a little suspicious. It is even more suspicious when others have created guides and carefully kept all references to them off this site while giving credit to it.
    As a TiVo fan I believe in sharing the experience with others, help newbies on their way - as we all have been newbies at a certain point and at that time somebody else helped us get started. Why not relay the favor to others?

So now for your support question: please visit the PTVupgrade forum, I'll start a thread there ... so people can try to find support there as well.

Note: Seeing the number of compliments and succes-stories with the previous guide, I would say that maybe 5% runs into a problem. The other 95% seems to have no problems what so ever.
    Oh and quite a few of these issues are based on not reading the article properly.
    Still, your guide will be useful. It will serve as TWO bad examples - how NOT to hack a DirecTiVo, and how NOT to respect others.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I see your point in having people "learn", and I will take captain_video's at heart and go to TiVo Community.

I also understand your point about getting a 6.2 image or not. And it's a good point - just wanted to keep people away from the more advanced hacking of their TiVo, in order to prevent an overload on support questions.

In the end it's up to the user to decide if they do or do not want to pay, do or do not want to wipe their recordings, etc.

Like I said before; no disrespect intended. I do apologize to you (and others) if you do see this as a form of disrespect.

I also understand your point about getting a 6.2 image or not. And it's a good point - just wanted to keep people away from the more advanced hacking of their TiVo, in order to prevent an overload on support questions.
    And here's the fundamental problem. You presume that the root cause of support questions is a too-complicated process. That's not correct. The root cause of support questions is a lack of education/knowledge on the part of the end user. By having them buy the InstantCake/ptvnet you are simply perpetuating the problem -- and although you profess that it is up to them whether they buy the InstantCake/ptvnet images or not, how on Earth are they supposed to make an informed decision when your target audience is those who are actively trying not to learn the details?
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

The detailed migration from 4 to 6.2, I will leave to David (excellent guide by the way).

This guide will wipe your old recordings, as stated in the guide.
    I just completed the "migration" from 4 to 6.2 on a third DTivo in my house without spending a dime or even pulling the drive. I also retained my old recordings on the unit and even have wireless.

So why would you want to wipe out your old recordings?
    2 RCA DVR39 - 209hrs & 35hrs
    Hacks - Bash, Telnet, Mfs_Ftp, TivoWebPlus, USB 2.0
    6.2a, superpatch for HMO/MRV

Quote Originally Posted by khig
    So why would you want to wipe out your old recordings?
    Well, they were your wife's recordings of 'Dr. Phil'. By deleting them you get to sleep on the couch for a week.

PlainBill

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Well, they were your wife's recordings of 'Dr. Phil'. By deleting them you get to sleep on the couch for a week.

PlainBill
    How do you know my wife?

Quote Originally Posted by whitepelican
    How do you know my wife?
    In an absolutely platonic manner.

PlainBill

Ok, I will probably get beat up now... not only for this reply but also for a post I just made asking for help, since I am a user of his guide... But I just have to chime in...

I can not speak from the point of view of many of the very experienced and very knowledgable individuals who have been doing this for a long time. I can only speak from the point of view of a average DirecTivo user who was in a bind and did not have a solution to my problem until I found the guide on WeetHet.nl...

I agree it would have been good if he had done a few things differently, but I think that some of you may be, looking at his guide in a bit of a short sighted manner. Please don't take offense to that, let me explain...

I have not been interested in "Hacking" my tivo until now because of a couple of reasons. The primary reason is that I could not afford to screw up my tivo. I work hard to make ends meet and I don't have money to throw around. Hacking your DirecTV Tivo while offering LOTs of cool experiences and advantages it is also a rather risky proposal. I think you would have to admit that for a Novice (even one who has spent a great deal of time reading and learning and trying to take in knowledge to become proficient with this stuff) it is very easy to render a working Tivo completely useless. That is just not a risk I was willing to take in exchange for spending a lot of time (which I don't have much of to begin with) trying to learn it in the first place.

So what would change my mind about learning about hacking Tivos? One of two things. Either my Directv tivo would have to croak or I would have to know that even if I screwed up my tivo, I could pretty quickly and confidently rebuild it from scratch and be able to watch tv again. Either of these two scenarios is benefited by his guide.

In my case my DVR hard drive died. where does that leave me? I don't know if I had 6.2 or not? But even if I did, a guide on how to back it up and reload it would not have done me any good. I didn't have any choice in that matter. Sure it would have been nice if it were an option in his guide for those whos drive had not died, but it is also very nice to know of a cheap simple way to get a good clean image. I really wouldn't want to download someone individual's image that they had posted and I have nothing to go on that it is either not accidentally corrupt or intentionally harmful, except the word of a stranger I don't know and can not contact with questions? na, forget that. knowing where i could buy a clean image from a reputable source was important for me and $20 between me and my buddy who both needed one, was $10 each Very Well Spent.

While his guide may not provide hardly anything in the way of "Real" hacking insight or knowledge, that is not to say it doesnt provide anything. It provides a relatively safe environment in which to gain a measure of experience and confidence. For even someone who has used *nix in a very limited environment, much less no experience at all, it is important to have some step by step instructions to walk you through some relatively simple tasks to build on.

I am not saying that your comments are without merit or validity, but it just seems like your being a bit harsh on someone that has provided a fast, easy to use and concise source of how to on the subject. If you can point me to a single source of information that clearly explains the how AND the what or why of hacking my Directv Tivo, i would be happy to read it twice over. But frankly, I have not been able to find one. The fact remains that with 30 minutes of reading his guide I had rebuilt a drive to use in my previously useless broken Tivo. Doing that has given me the confidence and interest to delve further into this to see what I can do both for my own benefit and to replay the community that has help me so much through his simple tutorial...

Is his guide the perfect end all to beat all source of newbie how-to? No, show me one and two of us will know where one is. But is his guide completely devoid of any practicle or useful information? No, Not Hardly... It may not serve all purposes, but I think it does serve a purpose and I myself as well as my friend are both glad that we found his guide.

Again, I'm sorry if I have in any way offended or irritated anyone here. That was not my intent... I just felt compelled to stick my nose in and share my $.02 in hopes that I could ease some tension by sharing my experience.

Regards,
    SumDumGuy

OK, same old objections. I'm going to use an analogy; try to follow along.

A few decades back a school decided to allow the use of calculators in a math class. All students were to ue identical calculators. At one point the 'teacher' was observed as he instructed the class how to solve a particular problem: "Hit the third key in the first row. Now hit the second key in the third row, next the third key in the third row, and the third key in the second row, and finally the last key in the bottom row. Write down the answer in the display."

Do you notice the problem? Hint - they were only learning to hit keys on a calculator, they weren't being taught what was happening, nor how to solve the problem.

For all his good intentions, HanzaPlastiQue has done EXACTLY the same thing.

There is a guide for copying and expanding a TiVo drive - it's called Hinsdale's HowTo. However, since it hasn't been updated recently, it doesn't work too well. Yes, you could follow HanzaPlastiQue's guide. Would you be able to fix a problem when something went wrong? Or would you be like one of the people who are using Zipper or the deprecated TiVoScripts (aka Sleeper's iso)? When something goes wrong all they can do is wipe the drive and start over. This tends to cause problems with the spouse.

PlainBill

I understand and agree to an extent, but to continue with that analogy, your comments would imply that you think that not only can calculators be abused, but that they are purely evil, should not be made, sold or demonstrated how to use them. As I said before, calculators do not belong in every situation, but there is a time and place for them, and if you don't know how to use a calculator to do what you want to do and you can't do the math yourself yet. you're not going to learn to do the math and get the answer right... you're going to do the best you can with the limited skills/knowledge you have and get the answer wrong...

You said that all he has taught them to do is wipe their drive and start over from scratch if they have a problem. And I agree 100%. And if they are content to go no further than that as far as learning what they are doing then they deserve to have their wives deny them in the bedroom for constantly wiping out her recordings and settings. I for one, am trying to use what he provided to first and foremost, get my broken DirecTivo back up and running quickly and easily. And secondly as a spring board to allow me to delve into learning more deeply, without being overly concerned that I will render my system unuseable.

Maybe I am way out in left field and I mean no disrespect, as even though I have been at this for a very very short time, I have been reading enough to know that you (PlainBill) are among the most advanced users. I have a great deal of respect for the level of understanding you have achieved and the level of assistance you have provided to the knowledge thirsty community. And I bow to your judgement, in that I will not push my opinion any longer. You can respond again and I will keep my mouth shut and just thank you for your patience.

Regards,
    SumDumGuy

No, Bill is not actually stating that calculators are evil.

What he's stating is that if you had someone a calculator and only a guide on which buttons to push, they'll never learn the fundamental concepts and never be able to actually apply the math skills. And if they get a wrong answer, they won't know what to do.

Now, if you want to teach the students fundamental math skills and then show them how a calculator can speed the process along...well that's fine by me, and I expect it's fine by Bill as well. (Bill's a pretty smart guy for a Vikings fan.)

In fact, you are your own ironic example; in another thread on this very forum, you are now asking a lot of questions about some basic, fundamental stuff. I promise you that if you had hacked without a guide (in other words, by reading/understanding concepts/etc.) you wouldn't be asking those questions.

But even putting aside that, the reasons guides are in disfavor around here come down to the very nature of the tivo-hacking hobby. It's not simple. It's not a trivial task. It's not something you can pick up in an afternoon. I read for a couple of months before I took my first shot, because I wanted to understand WTF I was doing. (I also bought a "spare" DTivo to do first...I have a very understanding wife who, it must be said, would be far less understanding if I clobbered her shows.)

Some hobbies are just not for everyone. Some hobbies are particularly not suited to inexperienced folks diving in right away. This is one of them. I know there are folks who think otherwise, and so we get guides and ISOs and all kinds of things designed to make it "easy." Excepting the very newest attempts at these, all have ultimately grown stale and dangerous.

And when they do...everyone comes here. And we have the same discussions, answer the same questions, etc., over and over again. (Including this one.) This forum wasn't created as a "let's-help-the-newbies" forum; it was created as a knowledge exchange for enthusiasts. A certain amount of newb-helping goes on (a huge chunk of which, incidentally, is done by Bill) but every time a new guide like this comes along, many of us shake our heads and brace ourselves for the onslaught of questions.

So here's what I suggest. Pretend you haven't hacked your Tivo. Read the stickies in the newbie forum. After that, I humbly (heh) recommend my roadmap. Learn the fundamentals and understand what is happening.

Then, stick around ddb for six months or so. Believe me, you'll understand after a while.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.