Thread: DSR7000 PS Trouble

DSR7000 PS Trouble

Last night my screen froze so I unplugged the unit and when I plugged it back in it started sparking under the PS. After taking it apart and pulling the PS I found a burn mark on the underside leg of the circuit board where the cord plugs into the PS. There isn't any solder on the connection, I don't know if it burned off or if there was very little in the first place and this is what caused the sparks. It was booting up fine (for the few seconds I left it plugged in) last night but throwing sparks .

Should I try to re-solder the leg or buy a new PS ? Where would I find one ?

Thanks for any insight you can give !
    Sony T-60 - 3.1.0
    Philips DSR7000 - 6.2

Resolder it. It is recommended you unplug the power cord first.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Well I soldered it and it's back up and runnin'

What do you think caused this problem ?
    Sony T-60 - 3.1.0
    Philips DSR7000 - 6.2

I'd say a cold solder joint, not enough solder, and poor manufacturing are what caused the problem (like some of those original Xbox PSUs). When the cold joint breaks under otherwise 'normal' stresses, it doesn't make a good (or sometimes not any) connection.

The number of power supply related issues I've been hearing lately, including the chinese knockoff capacitors with the wrong electrolytes, combined with cutthroat cost-cutting by all the electronics makers makes me nervous about all the cheap electronic gadgets I've got plugged in around the house.