Thread: Pioneer DVR-810H-S with bad DVD burner

Pioneer DVR-810H-S with bad DVD burner

Hello all,

I am the owner of several Pioneer DVR-810H-S TiVos. Unfortuately, one of them has a DVD writer that is broken. The TiVo is out of warranty, so returning it for repair might be out of the question. And I've upgraded the harddrive (see sig below).

While upgrading the hard drive in these units, I noticed that the DVD-RW drive is a Pioneer DVR-A05-XA. One of my other 810s has a Pioneer DVR-A06-XA. The firmware in the original drive is DVR-77h v1.31. So I thought I could get a Pioneer DVR-105 or a DVR-106 and put it in to the 810 and all would be well. I found a DVR-106D on eBay and installed it into the misbehaving DVR-810H-S. In testing the "new" writer, I found out that it could play DVDs, both pressed and burned, with no problems, but I can't burn anything. The firmware in the DVR-106 is v1.08.

Is there something special in the firmware of the DVD writers in the TiVo with DVD-RW units? If so, is there a way to have the firmware of my "new" writer updated? Or a way to force a firmware update? If one of the reps from TiVo can help on this, I'd be very grateful.

I've looked for tools to read the firmware out of the DVR-A05-XA, but nothing exists. I've tried looking for the DVR-77H firmware, but haven't found anything there either.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Pioneer 810, 320GB, Lifetime
    Pioneer 810, 250GB, Lifetime

Wow, this is an interesting question and I'm curious how it comes out.

Anyway, a lot of the firmware upload tools sometimes also have a "backup" function. You can try backing up one of the DVR-77H drives to see if you can get a firmware image, then try loading it onto the 106.

I'm not sure about the A05-AX, but the standard Pioneer A05 and 105 DVD-R drives only differ by the box they ship in (one is retail packaging, the other OEM).

Regarding backing up the firmware. I've looked on several forums (www.cdfreaks.com and another firmware site, can't remember the name right now) and they claim that there is no utility to read out the firmware from Pioneer drives. One post says that it is impossible. If anyone knows differently, please let me know.

FYI, the sticker on the back of the writer in the Pioneer DVR-810H-S is DVR-A05-XA. I agree with you that is just a rebadged DVR-A05.

I'm also trying to get a couple Pioneer DVR-105 or DVR-A05 drives from Ebay, but I keep getting outbid. It may be a while until I can report back on any success on this project.
    Pioneer 810, 320GB, Lifetime
    Pioneer 810, 250GB, Lifetime