Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviving an old topic...

Reviving an old topic...

Well, Trikx and I didn't have to go to work today and we sat around and got all the 2.5 hacks working smoothly here (thanks, Trikx, for finally sharing a working 2.5 image with the forum).

Now that 2.5 is pretty well conquered (we have Bash, fixup, working great now and can do anything else we want), there are two immediate hacks that come to mind, and have been discussed several times on the forums here (and some other cool things, like BubbaJ's all local channels effort). First is the DTivo ExtractStream puzzle (why does nobody seem to be able to ExtractStream properly from DTivo boxes) . I have had nothing but bad luck with ExtractStream, even on my SA box - so I haven't even been able to extract "dirty" video streams (no I don't mean channel 596) from my DTivo yet. Then there's the emulation puzzle (which, since we don't want to discuss emulation issues per se here, can be rephrased as the "how do I get two serial ports on my DTivo").

I am personally somewhat interested in the second - mostly for cool factor. There are a lot of useful things you could do if you had a second serial port on a DTivo, including experimenting with running certain applications that require such a setup. There was a proposal by BubbaJ that you could get around this if the built in card slot was mapped to ttySx (is it? I don't know if this path was ever fully explored).

I did a bit of experimenting today with the IR port, trying to grab access to that port for bash. It has been mentioned that this port is split and also used underneath the hood to receive IR data - this is bad, since it means even if we were able to grab that port the remote would probably cease to work == mostly useless DTivo. It seems pretty clear that the IR port is probably not the way to go though it would still be nice to understand exactly how its being used (is MyWorld talking to ttyS0 directly, etc.).

I just found a great resource, the Linux Serial HOWTO which discusses a lot of useful tools that may or may not be on the Tivo (can't get shell right now since my SA Tivo is temporarily out of order). If you are interested in this hack for whatever reasons this is a good starting point no doubt to learn a bit more details: http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO-10.html

I did think of one other way to get that extra serial port onto the Tivo. Instead of an ethernet card in the TivoNet adapter, put in an old ISA serial card that has existing Linux drivers for it (I don't know exactly how much porting work they would require - probably no more or less than the NE2K ISA drivers took). This is a bit more kludgey and less elegant of a solution than I am looking for (also a bit costly at 100 bucks for the adapter) but damn, the result would be sweet.
    And yes, I realize there is still a question as to whether the Tivo has enough CPU power to run the apps that might take advantage of two serial ports (ahemPitouahem), but we won't know for sure until we try. Oh, and if anyone has any real intel on how the Tivo software interacts with that card slot, I'd love to hear it. Sorry for the long post.

btw -- to save everyone the time searching, the following topic:

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showth...5&pagenumber=1

is the old discussion about this topic....there were some great ideas proposed, but unfortunately the thread wandered off into name-calling and discussions on the merrits of ASIC chips...

Let's talk about serial ports!

on the 2nd

The cpu just dosnt have the speed to do emu at the same time. extractstream has problems with the vbr that dtv use's I also want to look at the kernal more what, what changes are made to make this a Dtv, At the end of the prom when viewd in hex it has some stuff about a standalone. So from that I know it changes a few things. Does extractstream still work with 2.5.1 on SA box's?

card solt

my understanding is the prom for the "dtv" side of the tivo is under direct tv's control. Tivo is not aloud to touch it. The prom and most of the "Dtv" side of it are all stock off the self setups from good old dave himself. Dont think of your Dtivo as that. Its more Tivo with DirectTV and a digtal path right from Dave to your HD. Im sure tivo talks to the "dtv" side of tivo via ser.

I'll never te-eellll....

seriously, have fun guys, the information you seek is right there in front of your faces, and Boy is it Tasty!!

It Tastes better on 2.01

Oh now BubbaJ that's just mean.... C'mon...share the love...

But seriously, here are my thoughts on the "dual serial port" issue....pardon if they're novice...:

For now, let's talk about the simpler example of using existing external hardware that would plug into two serial ports (as opposed to the "all software" idea that was tossed around on the previous thread).

Also, though many claim that the box doesn't have enough CPU power, I am hesitant to believe this until it's proven one way or the other. I'm certainly not going to give up on this hack without at least trying...!

So the steps I see to victory are as follows:

1) Compile pitou for DTivo.
    2) Acquire two serial ports (easier said than done).
    3) Run pitou.

We have one serial port confirmed....ttyS3...that's the easy part. Now we need one more. A few ideas on how to get there:

1) Install expansion board + ISA serial board, compile drivers for TiVo, be happy.
    2) Use ttyS3 as one, and figure out how to use the IR port as the second (unlikely due to remote control issues)
    3) Use ttyS3 as one, and figure out if the card reader is a serial device that can be remapped
    4) Use ttyS3 as one, and play around with ttyS2 (a faq I read says it's there but 'unavailable' -- what does that mean?)

Any thoughts?

oops

Whoops...logged in under the wrong account...that was me posting above...

I don't know where GoneSilent got his information. But from what I have seen in my DirecTiVo and it seems that a majority of the DTV stuff is handled in the Linux OS, including access card control. I just don't think it matters much. And here's why:

The ASIC in the card can take just about anything as input for generating the encryption hash (including the time, or any data on the card). This is how the current "HU hash" works, it uses code directly from the card to generate the video decode keys, so if the code on the card has been changed you will get incorrect keys. This means that no matter what you can do to the receiver you must still emulate the access card in it's entirety or you will not be able to generate the ASIC input necessary to get the correct video decode keys. Any solution we design must have a fully functioning access card emulator somewhere. Maybe BubbaJ has found something that I havenít, but I don't think so. The best we can do is insert our own code between the DTV receiver software and the access card serial port. With this in mind I see the following solutions:

1) Compile a fully functioning Pitou emulator for the DirecTiVo and connect it to the access card serial port on the DirecTiVo. Will the system be able to handle the load? We won't know until we try, official Pitou MHz restrictions don't matter; this is a PPC not a Pentium. For those with BS H cards this is not an option.

2) Compile the Pitou emulator that uses a different server to access the card. We could use the current serial port or a TiVoNET card to do this. This is probably faster than (1), but I havenít looked at the code so I don't know. If it isn't much faster we can always rewrite it so the DirecTiVo sends the raw serial stream to the server, I can't imagine the DirecTiVo's processor won't have the power to redirect a serial stream over an ethernet port. You will be able to handle multiple DirecTiVo's with one card too .

3) Design a system that can process the entire satellite stream and generate video decode keys for every channel. The DirecTiVo would send the channel it is tuned to and the server would send the keys as they are generated. You would need only one server for the entire world, but good luck designing it.

I think (2) is the best solution. I want to be able to hopefully run TiVoWeb and ExtractStream and InsertStream on my DirecTiVo as well so the solution that uses the least resources would be best. And sending all your access card queries over TiVoNET would be a very elegant and invisible solution.

Sorry for the length, it's hard to stop once I get going.
    -GhostInTheMachine

look for my old post

I have seen a full working emu setup inside a Dtivo. WITH the cover off. The unit had the 9thtee board but no network card just another small bakcplate style computer and a floppy drive. The card was in the stock card location. So it has been done but not with it running on the Dtivo my self. Im sure they changed some of the tivo code as well.

BubbaJ has definitely found something that you haven't...

Yes, the access card is still required, but pretty much just for the ASIC. I know EXACTLY where the ASIC gets its info, and with a little snooping (particularly on 2.01) you'll know too.

Since my tivo went 2.0 to 2.5, I am sans 2.01. Wanna point me in the right direction?

I'd have to guess it has something to do with /dev/cam and /dev/cam2. I couldn't figure out how to snoop on either device file, but that doesn't mean anything. Maybe someone with a little more linux knowledge could check them out. Trying to cat /dev/cam said invalid argument...

_Formula

that is *NOT* the direction I followed, but Your Methods May Vary

Talking DEV Cam & Cam2

With the dual tuners do you think that perhaps the bin on the card is being laoded as a device so each tuner is addressing it own virtual card? And then using the asic to generate the key? If we were to chattr the info for that device it would allow us to write our own virtual bins that would be untouchable by dave.

T_RJ

T_RJ:

definitely not.