Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HEY!!! Stop The Madness - NEXT PROJECT!

sure it is.. I'd never looked at PPC assembler before I took a whack at the prom.. (I didn't actually look at much of it then either.)

If you want to LEARN assembly, the best place to start is to write a disassembler, that way you learn all of the odd nuances of the processor. Myself and a number of others on this board would be more than happy to help you in learning, and building your own disassembler. If you want somewhere to start, send me a PM..

Step 1. get the datasheet on the CPU in question.
    Step 2. get the instruction set on the CPU (usually another datasheet)

These can [bold]usually[/bold] be gotten from the website of the chip manufacturer...

In this particular case, goto www.ibm.com and enter a search for "403GCX" -- lots of good stuff, most in pdf format...
    -- digitalAir

1 DSR6000R (35 hour) currently running Xtreme 3.1 and tivonet

29 LOL

hah....my ginea pig tivo hasnt taken a single update in a whole week. How you ask? Set a season pass for paid programming, only keep one episode at a time, and set it to the lowest recording priority. Stupid, but it works! You should only do this if you are either A: very paranoid B: never watch live TV late at night C: dont frequently watch live TV on the weekends, or D: some or all of the above. If not then it will realy piss you off how every 30 minutes during the late evening your tivo asks you to change the channel.

ingenuos... so along those same lines. Can we take channel 100 off the list. I think the updates come doen on channel 100. Well last time I was up at 2am.
    Did I do that...

I think somebody tried that and it didn't work. It's my belief that the IRD tunes to a specific frequency rather than a defined channel, and then just pops up the generic number '100'.

hah....my ginea pig tivo hasnt taken a single update in a whole week. How you ask? Set a season pass for paid programming, only keep one episode at a time, and set it to the lowest recording priority. Stupid, but it works! You should only do this if you are either A: very paranoid B: never watch live TV late at night C: dont frequently watch live TV on the weekends, or D: some or all of the above. If not then it will realy piss you off how every 30 minutes during the late evening your tivo asks you to change the channel.

Thanks Alphawolf. Did a sort of variation of this, and I still have 2.5.1 .

Do we know if 2.5.2 is a rolling rollout? IOW, should any regular user get it on their normal service download? I haven't done as much as you guys to stave off the update, but I still have 2.5.1. Can/should I assume my measures are sufficient?

BL...

Guess you need to define "regular user". Many here do not allow their DTivo to call home - not exactly "regular"...

Relatively few have indicated that they were updated from the stream. Many at AVSForum report they got 2.5.2 from the phone.

We don't know for sure what the trigger is - does a phone in set the DTivo into the approprite group - for download from the stream later? Or can this "group inclusion" be accomplished over the stream?

Take a close look at PGM's upload today .............

Although the ability is there, I don't believe stream updating is enabled. I did get 2.5.2 from the phone. And the SW_released thing has always been there for me since 2.5. What I do suspect, is 2.5.2 will be the last version that will come via the phone. And if stream updating was on the menu for 2.5.2, you can rest assured that the tivo beta users would have had experience with it, and none of them have even hinted at it. So far, 2.5.2 is nothing big and nasty, just some minor updates, so I wouldn't sweat it. Now the 3.0 version for Dtivo, that is the one I am worried about. I bet there are all sorts of fun stuff in there to play with.

Maybe I was misled but I noticed a few post by those claiming that they received the update via the stream. I guess that I thought that more people received it than actually did.

Here is a whole thread stating that it comes over the stream. http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showt...&threadid=13644

I'm now wondering if it is just that those who are using Turbonet are getting it and thinking that it's coming over the stream, when it's actually coming over the ethernet connection. Has anyone without Tivonet/Turbonet received the update with no phone line plugged in?

Anyway, I took some extra precautions last night with some rcsysinit changes. It doesn't hurt to be safe

I have an SA, so this does not directly apply to me (although I did record the "Advanced Programing" and watched the pretty patterns that look like a way to send digital data to TiVos).

Anyway, if you read the different scripts on the TiVo, you can see that it compares it's current software version and only upgrades if the newer software is a higher version. The version is stored in MFS (I found it in 2 places on my SA).

If you set the value to 4.1.0-01-1-2510 (so you know you actually have 2.5.1), I would think you would be immune to upgrades until TiVo comes out with 4.2.

PS This is not a good idea on units that call in, since TiVo would receive the version your unit thinks it has.

Originally posted by Juppers
    What I do suspect, is 2.5.2 will be the last version that will come via the phone.
    So Juppers, do you think they had to add code in 2.5.2 to facilitate updates via the stream? If so, then it'd be another good reason to stay at 2.5.1.

Question

So has anyone got 3.0 for DTIVO yet?

I assume that the "updates=false" trick for the SA will be of no use in the DTIVO,

SuperVHS, would you provide some step by step to change the version number?

Great work Guys!
    Jmayes

SuperVHS, would you provide some step by step to change the version number?
    The version is stored in MFS (I found it in 2 places on my SA).
    Could you at least let us know where the MFS file(s) are? I searched around a little and couldn't find it/them.

enter tivosh

mls /

mls /SwSystem
    Directory of /SwSystem starting at ''

Name Type FsId Date Time Size
    ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
    2.5.1-01-1-000 tyDb 404637 02/15/02 07:03 664
    ACTIVE tyDb 404637 02/15/02 07:03 664

dumpobj 404637
    SwSystem 404637/11 {
    Active = 1
    IndexPath = /SwSystem/2.5.1-01-1-000 /SwSystem/ACTIVE /Server/4758173
    InstalledOBSOLETE = 1
    Module = 404619/-1 404621/-1 404623/-1 404625/-1 404627/-1 404629/-1 4
    04631/-1 404633/-1 404635/-1
    Name = 2.5.1-01-1-000
    ResourceChecksum = 09529207a69f7fff2e0ce1b0363992c
    ResourceGroup = 404638/-1 404639/-1 404640/-1 404641/-1
    ServerId = 475813
    ServerVersion = 51
    Version = 3
    }

This is location #1
    You can use dbget / dbset to read and write to the database
    ex: dbset /SwSystem Name 4.00.00.00.00

Remember this is an SA with 2.5 s/w
    Last edited by SuperVHS; 06-16-2002 at 11:08 PM.