Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Tivoserver alpha-release thread

Look at the names bud.. Dvdshrink reduces size..Does DVD Decrypter do this I don't think so...

Drez- thanks for the info on DVDDecrypter. I never bothered to look for the other modes just because I already had DVDShrink and knew it could do the job. I'll start using this method - I'm a fan of one-and-done processes. :-)

Darrin75 - not sure if you were replying to me or Drez. I know that DVDShrink can reduce the size. I have it set to "no compression" so I don't lose any quality.

Perhaps the VOB ripping process was obvious to everyone else, but most of the posts referenced AutoGK for ripping to AVI, etc. I just wanted to pull the main movie as a raw VOB file. I just wanted to share with the forum my process as it seems to be working well. Perhaps some lost soul will find it useful. :-) Everyone keep up the good work. I'll be happy to keep testing tivoserver with my VOBs.

i was replying to drez, but dvdshrink has some settings, deep analysis that can be applied, even though it takes longer to encode does a awesome job. I can reduce a main movie down to about 3.2g without any notice in dvdshrink...

i was replying to drez, but dvdshrink has some settings, deep analysis that can be applied, even though it takes longer to encode does a awesome job. I can reduce a main movie down to about 3.2g without any notice in dvdshrink...
    Good to know. I'll have to try messing with the settings to see if I notice any loss in quality.

Quote Originally Posted by darrin75
    Look at the names bud.. Dvdshrink reduces size..Does DVD Decrypter do this I don't think so...

I had figured you were only using DVD Shrink to reauthor into one big vob.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1277
    Up to this point, I had been simply using DVD Shrink to reauthor the main title to the hard drive as one big VOB. ...

Quote Originally Posted by mk1277
    Drez- thanks for the info on DVDDecrypter. I never bothered to look for the other modes just because I already had DVDShrink and knew it could do the job. I'll start using this method - I'm a fan of one-and-done processes. :-)
    np,

i forgot to mention you have to change this setting in dvd decrypter

you only have to set that once.

Folks-
    DVDshrink will of course eliminate bad durations, since it re-encodes the entire video, thus eliminating the mpeg editing discontinuities that CAUSE the bad durations.

Other solutions have already been mentioned, such as running mpg/vobs through mpeg-vcr GOP corrector. Unfortunately we were never able to add code to search for timestamp discontinuities within tivoserver.

Originally Posted by drez
    i forgot to mention you have to change this setting in dvd decrypter. . .
    Thanks, I figured that out after the first run. Knew there had to be a setting somewhere.

Originally Posted by starmanj
    Other solutions have already been mentioned, such as running mpg/vobs through mpeg-vcr GOP corrector. Unfortunately we were never able to add code to search for timestamp discontinuities within tivoserver.
    Thanks for the info. I seem to have a working process here with a higher success rate than I previously had. Just as long as the tivoserver code continues to improve VOB support, I'll be happy.

I get incorrect durations and negative bitrates even after using DVDShrink. Maybe it's because I use no compression in DVDShrink.
    -- gfb107

Originally posted by gfb107
    I get incorrect durations and negative bitrates even after using DVDShrink. Maybe it's because I use no compression in DVDShrink.
    The no compression setting shouldn't matter. I've used it on all my DVDs and only a couple have come back with a negative bitrate.

Turns out that the ffmpeg CVS that is used in -a3 and -a4 is MUCH slower than that used in -a2. Not sure if it's a bug or what. I've relinked the current tivoserver to the ffmpeg from -a2.

I'm leaving on vacation in a few hours, so I don't have time to make a proper release, but for those who want, I'm hosting -a4.2... here's a link:
    http://tuckscandy.com/share/tivoserv....2(cygwin).rar

p.s. not sure, but may require a newer cygwin1.dll
    Last edited by BTUxNine; 06-17-2006 at 09:34 AM.

That works just great...no slow down at all on the transcode, no pause when streaming and watching...excellent!!!

Anything that gives my wife one less thing to bitch about is a great thing!
    Many thanks!

A4.2 & Vobs?

Callindril,

Have you had any problems with this new binary and transfering VOBS? A4 & A3 work just fine for me but A4.2 seems crash on trying to transfer VOBS (at least on my machine).

Also - what kind of throughput are you getting on transcode? What type of codec (XviD?)?

Flynmoose
    Last edited by flynmoose; 06-17-2006 at 07:16 PM.

Have not played with VOBs at all...I rip em with DVD Shrink and convert em with AutoGK to XVids...

If I get a chance, Ill see what it does with a VOB...

As far as thruput, Im not sure...I know on a4 and a4.1, I would get horrible thruput, as the tivo would go into pause mode about every 10-15 seconds when trying to watch the stream....with a4.2, no issue with that at all...

For a point of measure, I am getting the following performance with A4.2

• Transfer a XviD movie - 0.4X realtime (150KB/S)
    • Transfer a TMF formerly extracted from my TIVO (720x420 w/AAC) - 3.0X+ (2800KB/S+)
    • Transfe a VOB (under A4) - 1.5X(~1000KB/S)

This is an old K7-550Mhz machine that serves as my file server. Have been thinking about upgrading - Guess I just found my excuse (though it is probably cheaper to just buy hard drives and store movies as VOBS! )

Just confirmed - A4.2 crashes when I try to transfer a VOB. Here is the tail of the log. This is a VOB that transfered just fine with A3 & A4.

Code:
     -------->  Random Magic: '2078917053'NEW TRANSFER
    0x00016bb4
    0x00016bb2
    0x00000000
     Found Magic number: '2078917053'
    Found Show By ID: 0
    AVI2!
    	newh= 480, Padding= 0, ar= 1.33333, br= 6300
    AVI2 stats: 720x480, dur=38:51, BR=6300, Pixel-AR=0.89
    	nchunks: 14342, nparts: 9
    -- copying audio stream #1
    -- copying video stream #0
    Stream mapping:
      Stream #0.1 -> #0.0
      Stream #0.0 -> #1.0
    Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?)
    Closed Audio Buffer
    Closed Video Buffer
    FFMPEG FINISHED