Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Service Hack W/25xtreme

fixup etc....

mrblack51

Problem solved..... I was saving attempts to get a bash prompt but I took a break between "searches" and reading useless references. Got a bash prompt into hyperterminal....

This has been an extremely frustrating experience for me because I take things literally ....

You can search forever (at least for now !) and NEVER get a pointer to file that doesn't exist in
    any forum. I know this as I think I tried most of them.

Anyway ... I got there and things appear to be working. Not too sure about the phone call nags but will tackle that next. System info says I've got "lifetime" and 67 hours of space.
    Exeter

Partial Success - 2.5 Extreme etc

Greetings All and Best of the Season!

I picked up a Philips 6000 single drive and used the excellent boot CD of Surgeon's to insall 2.5 extreme and to "bless" and add a Maxtor 120GB drive. This all went well and the system is working. Now I wish to do the final "hack" . I've read all of the above posts and more and found the particular files that are required but not being a linux wizard, I'm not sure what to do. I made a serial cable and can get the BASH prompt no problem. I "touched" and "tailed" till I'm blue in the face but still get acct. status 2. I'm wondering if someone would be kind enough to PM me and help me with the final steps?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post..

Regards

Schwantz

>>I "touched" and "tailed" till I'm blue in the face <<

All you have to do is touch....THEN force a DAILY call.

If it doesnt work...re-install 25xtreme, and execute just that one command (14B on the how-to list floating around here) and force a DAILY call again.

When you TOUCH, you wont see anything happen...force the call...thats where the magic happens.

PointFreak:

You are so right! Thanks alot. All is working and thanx to all members in this post and especially Surgeon. Now to do the locals...and maybe bone up on linux .

Regards

Schwantz

Folks...

Where do you use the touch command?. Does it have to be entered at the bottom of the rc.sysinit. I notice some comments about Surgeon's stuff, but where do I enter the command.
    Do I enter it at the bash prompt after I close the rc.sysinit file?.
    Please help guys!!. I am starting to dream about bash prompts and the wife's getting upset at me getting up thru the night trying different stuff to get this to work.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!.

HQS

For those of you that would like some "help" drop me an email. It is all really much easier than you think. Let me know if you are trying with a serial cable or with your tivo drive in your computer.
    snOOc

Thanx SnOOc..

That helped alot!. Looks like things are up and running no probs.
    Now to try the locals. This should be fun. Everything running cool with them ?.

HQS

Help with Xtreme and Hughes

Hey Guys,

Need some help here......

I have tried the following....

Done a DD from the original disk to the new, and then DTivo Mad 4.0 to expand. Then I edited the rc.sysinit, to have the Tivo not ship out longs (the unit is subscribed, I just dont want to share).

After a reboot, I got a Severe Server Error.

So,

I loaded Xtreme 2.5. It started up just fine. I did a Touch, and called. Still fine. I powered down, and put the unit back together, and got another Severe Server Error when I re started it.

Any guesses?

<M

And the dang thing does alot of HOUSEKEEPING!
    1Dave1

must use bash

It's very easy to make a serial cable and it takes less then 1/2 hour including the trip to radio shack. If you look in the sticky section their you find all of the parts you need. Basically you need a 9 pin female serial connector, a shield for it, and a 1/8 audio extention cable. Solder the red wire to pin 2, black to pin 3, and silver to pin 5. install the shield and you are done. Hook it up to your receiver and use windows hyperterminal with com 1, 9600, n, 8, and 1 with no flow control. Bamb... You get your bash prompt. If you are using 25xtreme type from bash prompt

touch /etc/SubTest (CASE SENSITVE)

and your done.....

Hi all, this is sure a fun kinda hobby. Been playing with this all weekend, and just need to do the final sub hack.

Working JUST from a PC at this point, no serial cable (yet)

Installed xtreme got it up and running fine. then i went back to the pc and did the following exactly.

Install 25Extreme finish that no problem.
    Plug drive back into tivo, let boot and build etc...tv comes up fine.(tivo says I need to subscribe/make a call of course)
    Unplug drive, hook back up to computer.
    Boot 25xtreme disk
    type: mkdir /mnt/td
    type: mount /dev/hdc4 /mnt/td
    type: touch /mnt/td/etc/SubTest
    unmount hdc4
    reboot box, power off, unplug drive
    put back in tivo, power up.
    Gets to the almost done few more seconds, and BOOM
    Green Screen of Death , severe error etc...
    Then i have to go re-2.5extreme/mad to get the drive in a workable state. Rinse...repeat.

I'm editing partition 4 which I understand to be the necessary one (opposed to 7 or 9). Is that right?

Thoughts? Otherwise I guess I'll go get a cable, but a prompt is a prompt, since bash is just Borne Again SHell, it should be the same no matter if I used a cable or dircelty to hard drive, provided i am editing the right partition (4).

provided i'm not missing some steps entirely...like the mentions of fixup02c.tcl and rc.sysinit? I'm a little lost as to what role those play.

Thanks in advance ppl!