Thread: monte/enable telnet tcd24004a 7.2 os

Question monte/enable telnet tcd24004a 7.2 os

Hello,
    I have been searching these forums for days and have compiled lots of information in the meantime. The only problem is I cant seem to find much info on monte'ing with the 7.2 os. I have successfully killhdinitrd a 4.0.1a kernel and used it on a 4.0.1b install....using the ptv upgrade disk. I would stick with the 4.0.1b software but unfortunatly i do not think it supports my wireless G adapter the netgear wg111. If anyone can point me in the right direction or give me some hints as to what I should do to get telnet, ftp, etc. enabled (such as monte'ing to enable me to use hacks), it would be much appreciated. Also my model # is tcd24004a.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Don't think you need to monte...a killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel should allow you to make the necessary modifications, I believe. But I'm not an SA guy so don't take my word for it.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

thank you

Thank you very much, works perfect, the tivo is now booting when i use the 3.1.5 kernel, the only problem now is my wireless adapter is connecting to the wireless network but it isnt obtaining an ip via dhcp....if you could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by icewater; 02-12-2006 at 07:38 PM.

Can't help you there, as I do not use DHCP nor do I use wireless. However, I thought the Tivo defaulted to DHCP. Are you sure it's connecting to the wireless network OK?
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

If I recall correctly, Jamie has discussed this. The DHCP client is incorporated into the kernel on 7.2. It is a separate module on 6.2. So the 3.1.5 kernel works perfectly with 6.2, but has the DHCP issue with 7.2. I suggest you do a little searching. I believe the module is named something like dhclient - us that as a search term.

There are also several threads on 7.x in this forum, concentrate on them.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    If I recall correctly, Jamie has discussed this. The DHCP client is incorporated into the kernel on 7.2. It is a separate module on 6.2. So the 3.1.5 kernel works perfectly with 6.2, but has the DHCP issue with 7.2. I suggest you do a little searching. I believe the module is named something like dhclient - us that as a search term.
    The module is af_packet.o. Since it is marked as "license=GPL", it should be ok to redistribute, so here's the one from 6.2 (attached). It needs to be loaded before dhclient runs. Another alternative is to monte to a 7.x kernel (custom or initrd-replaced stock).

Or another option, works perfectly for me using a hacked 3.1.5 kernel with 7.2.1 is to just use a static ip address. To me that sure seems preferrable to fiddling around with kernel modules. Just grab your remote control, configure the IP settings once and be done with it.

I have a tcd24008a. I believe the only diffence between my Tivo and yours is mine came stock with an 80Gig drive and yours came with a 40Gig. Other than that identical and static ip works perfect for me with 7.2.1/hacked 3.1.5 kernel and no additional kernel modules.