Thread: Problems Installed Linksys USB200M v2

Problems Installed Linksys USB200M v2

Ok, here is what I've done so far:

First, I downloaded this driver set:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...964#post243964

I have an HR10-250 with the Linksys USB200M v2. I was using v1 but I moved it to another TiVo.

The kernel on the HR10-250 is 2.4.4. I'm running TiVo version 3.1.5f of course.

My original rc.sysinit.author file looked like this (partially):

#load USB Ethernet Modules
    insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ehci-hcd.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ax8817x.o
    sleep 15

This worked fine for USB200M v1.

Per this link:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...hlight=symlink

I did the following:

- backed up /lib/modules to somewhere safe

- deleted ax8817x.o, usbcore.o, usb-ohci.o, and ehci-hcd.o

- copied in the new modules (from 2.4.4):
    usbcore.o, usb-ohci.o, ehci-dummy.o, and usbnet.o

- ln -s usbnet.o ax8817x.o
    - ln -s ehci-dummy.o ehci-hcd.o

and finally chmod +x * (not sure if this was necessary but I did it anyway).

I altered my rc.sysinit.author file as follows and made it executable:

#load USB Ethernet Modules
    insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ehci-hcd.o
    insmod /lib/modules/usb-ohci.o (I wasn't sure if I needed to add this line.)
    insmod /lib/modules/ax8817x.o
    sleep 15

After all this, I still have no lights on my v2 USB adapter. Before all the changes, I had some but the adapter still didn't work.

I read this:

"To get the v2 to work, you may need to add the vendor info to the /etc/hotplub/usb.map file."

Problem is, I don't have this directory nor the vendor info. Is this my problem? What am I doing wrong?

I think I'm using the correct drivers (2.4.4) because from the root directory, /lib/modules (not the same directory as above) lists 2.4.4 as a directory to the kernel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Orion
    Last edited by OrionsHunter; 02-17-2006 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OrionsHunter
    The kernel on the HR10-250 is 2.4.4. I'm running TiVo version 3.1.5f of course.
    No, it's 2.4.20.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

"uname -r", run on the tivo, is a good way to check what kernel version you are running with. It looks to me like that was the problem.

Jamie,

uname -r returns 2.4.4 as my kernel. Should I try the other kernel listed above?

Orion

I tried the 2.4.20 series 2 drivers using the same above procedure and that worked! So thanks are in order.

However, why would uname -r return 2.4.4 as my kernel and the drivers for 2.4.20 be the ones to work?

I used the kernel hack that came with the LBA48 support CD that I ordered online.

uname -r returns 2.4.4 as my kernel. Should I try the other kernel listed above?
    Are you running this on your tivo? I'm guessing you are running this on the PC, which only tells you what linux kernel is running there. Otherwise, post the full "uname -a" output.

I ran it on my PC through the LBA48 bootup disc because I had to pull the drive to do these modifications.

By doing uname -a on my TiVo through Telnet (now that I can again), it returns 2.4.20.

So, if I would have run uname -a on my PC, it would have returned 2.4.20 or 2.4.4?

But it is working now using 2.4.20 so thanks again. But I would like to clear us this little mystery as I'm trying to write a detailed how-to guide for friends of mine. I have tested it many times to work out the kinks and the guide is very easy to follow. Therefore, I would like to include an appendix in it on how to install the drivers for USB200M v2.

I hope this post helps people do this because it can't get any easier than what's written here.

Now, if only I can figure out how to regain Telnet capabilities after the USB adapters have been uplugged and replugged. The IPs are statically set. When dynamically set, they refresh and work fine.

Thanks again,

Orion
    Last edited by OrionsHunter; 02-17-2006 at 03:11 PM.

I ran it on my PC through the LBA48 bootup disc because I had to pull the drive to do these modifications.

By doing uname -a on my TiVo through Telnet (now that I can again), it returns 2.4.20. It only tells you the kernel version on your lba48 bootup disk.

So, if I would have run uname -a on my PC, it would have returned 2.4.20 or 2.4.4?
    Running uname on your PC tells you nothing about the kernel running on your tivo.

You can also run strings on a kernel and look for "Linux version" to determine the version of a kernel. For example, if your boot kernel is in partition 3 of your tivo disk installed in your PC on the secondary ide master:
    Code:
    strings /dev/hdc3 | grep "Linux version"
    Last edited by Jamie; 02-17-2006 at 03:16 PM.

Just to clarify further...when you run uname on your PC, it's telling you about the kernel on your boot disc. In other words, uname tells you about the running kernel.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.