Thread: What if?

What if?

I subscribe to DTV on a dvr39. What if I take away the dvr service on my sub? I still want to subscribe and yet still want the tivo to function. What files will I need or where can I read up on this? I have never hooked up a phone line. I have caught DTV sending updates, which brings up a new what happens? Can someone point me?

If you take away the dvr service you won't be able to record and will probably see nag messages to activate the dvr service. Don't know if the box will work as a receiver only or not, but I doubt it.

ew

If you cancel the DVR service, it will function just like any other DTV receiver. You will not be able to record. If you want to play, you have to pay...

The DVR fee for DTivos is an absolute steal when you compare it to the fees associated with SA Tivos. It only costs $4.99 for an unlimited number of DTivos on your account. The only other fees you'd pay are the mirroring fees for the additional receivers which you'd have to pay even for a Non-DTivo receiver.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    The DVR fee for DTivos is an absolute steal when you compare it to the fees associated with SA Tivos. It only costs $4.99 for an unlimited number of DTivos on your account. The only other fees you'd pay are the mirroring fees for the additional receivers which you'd have to pay even for a Non-DTivo receiver.
    The DVR fee will be $5.99 a month after March 1st. Still a steal when you consider the increase in functionality the DVR features add.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Thanks for the info!
    I guess I will keep paying 5.99.
    With that said, what could be done to make it better? What is the max hard drive. Can DTV write over what I do to it?
    Any help would be appreciated. I have been out of DTV for over 1-1/2 years ans technology has been flying by!
    Thanks again!

The max hard drive is whatever you can manage to shoehorn in. You do need to be careful when creating individual MFS partitions with mfstools that they don't exceed 256GB. DTV could, theoretically, provide a software update that could replace your changes, but it's easy to prevent that from happening so that you can update at your convenience.

You can enable networking, use tools such as mfs_ftp and tytool for copying shows, TiVoWebPlus for web scheduling and much more. Lots to do.
    Steve