Thread: Dead Disk Married to Live Disk, Divorce Possible?

Dead Disk Married to Live Disk, Divorce Possible?

I have a Phillips Series 1 with the original 13GB Quantum married to a much newer 60GB Maxtor. The combination was full of recordings.

The quantum suddenly died, at least its making a loud noise and is not responding when I connect it to a PC.

Can I do anything to salvage something from the good Maxtor, or do I need to give up and start over?

You could try to dd the Quantum to a different drive (at least as big as the 13GB) and put the replacement in with the 60GB Maxtor and test it to see if it will boot. I would watch out for a locked drive and you might need dd_rescue instead of dd.

ew

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind
    You could try to dd the Quantum to a different drive (at least as big as the 13GB) and put the replacement in with the 60GB Maxtor and test it to see if it will boot. I would watch out for a locked drive and you might need dd_rescue instead of dd.

ew

Actually, I did that successfully on a different Tivo where the Quantum was intermittent.
    I even expanded the mfs to fill the larger replacment.

Unfortunately, on this one the Quantum is dead. I stuck it on a PC and ran the Maxtor/Quantum standalone diagnostic disk (powermax), and it doesn't see the drive at all.

So, I.m just wondering if I can get anything out of the good 60GB Maxtor, other than starting over with it. I imagine not.

Nope. You're pretty much SOL. If you are unable to recover the data from the bad drive then you'll have to start over with a fresh image. There aren't too many shows that get broadcast that don't get rerun sometime down the road so even though you won't be able to recover the recordings on the drive you'll probably be able to get them at a later date. I learned a long time ago not to cry over lost Tivo recordings as I've almost always been able to recover the ones that got hosed. If you don't catch it in a rerun you'll probably see it in syndication before too long.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!