Thread: Questions on iptables, dhclient

Questions on iptables, dhclient

I "fixed" iptables by doing this:

mv iptables iptables.old
    echo -e '#!/bin/bash\nexit 0' > iptables
    chmod 755 iptables

But then I have this in my rc.sysinit.author (b/c I saw it elsewhere)

sleep 60
    [-x /etc/netfilter-disable] && /etc/netfilter-disable

Is it even necessary to disable netfilter if I fixed as above?
    I would just "try it" but I don't want to pull my drive if I lock myself out.

Also, does using a killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel do something to dhclient on a "240" machine running 7.2? I received errors in the Tivo UI when I tried to use DHCP; I just set up a static address and it works fine...fyi I have a Linksys 100TX (the older usb 1.1 - I believe?).

BTW everything is working fine, telnet, tivoftpd; I'm just curious.

On to Superpatch...and then my "wife/kids" Tivo...

You are using 2 methods of doing the same thing, disabling the firewall. Either method alone would of have been sufficient.

Its my understanding that yes, dhcp is broken by using the killed 3.1.5 kernel. As you've found though, it definately works to just configure a static ip.

Jamie has confirmed that dhcp does not work under 7.2 when using a killhdinitrd 3.1.5 kernel. There are two possible solutions; you are going to have to search for the details, I don't have links.

Part of the DHCP mechanism was moved from a loadable module in 6.2 and included in the 2.4.20 kernel supplied with 7.x. By copying the af_packet.o module from /lib/modules in 6.2 to the same directory on your drive and loading it early in the boot process you can regain the dhcp functionality. See the thread here, and search for af_packet.o for other posts.

Someone (7.1?) has determined the kernel supplied with one of the 7.x releases can be modified by the killhdinitrd technique. This would require updating the killhdinitrd software, so it is time to petition for that update.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 03-16-2006 at 11:54 AM.
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    Someone (7.1?) has determined the kernel supplied with one of the 7.x releases can be modified by the killhdinitrd technique. This would require updating the killhdinitrd software, so it is time to petition for that update.
    Have you downloaded the most recent version of killhdinitrd?

Quote Originally Posted by 7.1
    Have you downloaded the most recent version of killhdinitrd?
    I have now! Thanks for the update. Do you have any information on the killhdinitrd 7.2.2 kernel working with the TCD140xxx TiVos?

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    I have now! Thanks for the update. Do you have any information on the killhdinitrd 7.2.2 kernel working with the TCD140xxx TiVos?
    I have not tested it myself, although I believe it will work.

I can confirm that after removing these two lines from my rc.sysinit.author

sleep 60
    [-x /etc/netfilter-disable] && /etc/netfilter-disable

Everything still works fine...thanks for the clarification!

I will look into the dhcp module & the new killhdinitrd on my next surgery...