Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replacing hard drive

18 replacing hard drive

im not trying to hack anything (yet!?!), i just had a hard drive going bad in my tivo and wanted to replace it. i have a series 2 hughes 40gb dtv tivo. i got a seagate 200gb hard drive to replace it with (mostly cause it was really cheap).
    i followed hinsdales how to guide, using Tiger’s Mfs Tools Boot Cd to boot. once booted i hit enter and final came to a prompt.
    at the proompt i typed in dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdd bs=1024k, with the the original tivo drive as the primary master and the soon to be replacement drive as the primary slave. both drive had the jumpers in the cable select position.

after it copied the pc said 12345 copied 12345 written or something like that, the number matched anyway. when i hooked the new drive up to tivo it said powering up, then went to a dtv screen, then went to a green screen saying about an error and wait 3 hours and rebooted after about a minute and repeated the whole process. i tried the jumper as both master and cable select, same results. tried the original drive again and it worked fine.

did i miss something?? am i going about his the totally wrong way?...

any help would be appreciated.
    also, laying around here somewhere i have a tivo drive image the i had d/l awhile ago(it had to be from somewhere that was linked to this forum), before i got busy and had planned on messing around with the tivo. would it be easier for me to use that to replace the hd? if so, any guesses as to size/ file extension/ name of file would be appreciated cause i think i have to look though 20 or so disk to try to find it.
    -Zuggel

Quote Originally Posted by Zuggeli
    have a series 2 hughes 40gb dtv tivo. i got a seagate 200gb hard drive to replace it with (mostly cause it was really cheap).
    i followed hinsdales how to guide, using Tigerís Mfs Tools Boot Cd to boot. once booted i hit enter and final came to a prompt.
    at the proompt i typed in dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdd bs=1024k, with the the original tivo drive as the primary master and the soon to be replacement drive as the primary slave. both drive had the jumpers in the cable select position.
    I'm pretty sure Hinsdale does not have you use dd to copy the drive. If you use dd you will end up with a 40GB image on the 200GB drive. Also I recommend setting the jumpers to master or slave (depending on where you are putting them) so I know what they are. Many cables do not support cable select. Also remember to put the jumper back in the master setting before you put it back in the Tivo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuggeli
    Yes you missed a lot. And yes I think you are going about this totally wrong.
    Read this thread, and pay close attention to post 13 and 14. You may want to try the interactive setup information link found there as well. Also if your drive is bad you may need to look into dd_rescue.
    The more you search, the more you find. The more you read, the more you may learn.
    It is just as important to know the things that DON'T work.

Attention Newbies -> Start with the document found HERE, I did.
    The opinions expressed in this post are based on my life experiences and may or may not reflect YOUR reality. Use the information provided at your own risk

6 - S2 - DTivos with a total of 1.1TB storage - Hacked, networked, etc

Quote Originally Posted by fantmn
    I'm pretty sure Hinsdale does not have you use dd to copy the drive. If you use dd you will end up with a 40GB image on the 200GB drive. Also I recommend setting the jumpers to master or slave (depending on where you are putting them) so I know what they are. Many cables do not support cable select. Also remember to put the jumper back in the master setting before you put it back in the Tivo.

Yes you missed a lot. And yes I think you are going about this totally wrong.
    Read this thread, and pay close attention to post 13 and 14. You may want to try the interactive setup information link found there as well. Also if your drive is bad you may need to look into dd_rescue.
    Hinsdale certainly has instructions for dd. You should read it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuggel
    im not trying to hack anything (yet!?!), i just had a hard drive going bad in my tivo and wanted to replace it. i have a series 2 hughes 40gb dtv tivo. i got a seagate 200gb hard drive to replace it with (mostly cause it was really cheap).
    i followed hinsdales how to guide, using Tigerís Mfs Tools Boot Cd to boot. once booted i hit enter and final came to a prompt.

after it copied the pc said 12345 copied 12345 written or something like that, the number matched anyway. when i hooked the new drive up to tivo it said powering up, then went to a dtv screen, then went to a green screen saying about an error and wait 3 hours and rebooted after about a minute and repeated the whole process. i tried the jumper as both master and cable select, same results. tried the original drive again and it worked fine.

any help would be appreciated.
    also, laying around here somewhere i have a tivo drive image the i had d/l awhile ago(it had to be from somewhere that was linked to this forum), before i got busy and had planned on messing around with the tivo. would it be easier for me to use that to replace the hd? if so, any guesses as to size/ file extension/ name of file would be appreciated cause i think i have to look though 20 or so disk to try to find it.
    Make sure the CD you are using is LBA-48 aware. Also, remember... garbage-in garbage-out. If the drive you are copying from is going bad, you can't be sure you are getting good data onto the new drive.

i appreciate the quick responses. i read the link fantmn gave and it seemed helpful, the interactive guide was good. in the process of using the
    mfsbackup -f 9999 -so - /dev/hdX | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdZ
    command, hopefully that works

the hd isnt bad yet, at least not totally. when watching tv, live or recorded its hanging up (the tv is pausing for a second or two at varying intervals). not sure if there are bad sector(s) or if its something more problematic in the hd.
    -Zuggel

Better to use mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdb

-f 9999 only copies streams with a lower fsid than 9999--not always enough.

-l 20 copies streams smaller than 20 (MB?/parts?) which will grab all the menus.

-Tao copies all streams including recordings and menus. -r 4 is only needed for MFS partitions bigger than 274 GB and so you don't need it for a 200 GB drive.

ew
    Last edited by eastwind; 03-19-2006 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Fixed an important typo

Quote Originally Posted by From The Hinsdale Document:
    OPTION #3 (limited use): COPYING TiVo DRIVE TO NEW UPGRADE DRIVE

This time consuming option does not create a small backup file but simply copies your complete TiVo original drive image to a new upgrade drive (destination drive must be at least as large as the source drive). This option is especially useful for single drive Standalone or DirecTiVo upgraders who are replacing their original A drive with a new upgrade A drive (or new A and new B) and are determined to preserve their recordings. Although this can be accomplished using Mfs Tools (preferable - see Step 10), I am including the linux dd copy option for this task because Mfs Tools will not be substantially faster and dd copying will provide a more complete image for those that want it (includes all partitions Ė exact duplicate).

Swap File: When increasing your total recording capacity (A+B drives) to over ~140GB (actual threshold number is likely just over 150GB for Series 1 Standalones and over 180GB for DirecTiVos and Series 2 units) the preferable method for upgrade should include a means to increase the swap file so that the built-in TiVo repair utility (GSOD) can complete if ever triggered (rare). Those upgrading, or planning on upgrading in the future, to these larger capacities should consider using the Mfs Tools backup/restore options (-s 127 command line parameter increases the swap) outlined in Step 10 in preference to using this dd copy method.
    I have read the Hinsdale document several times. And yes fixn278 is correct that Hinsdale does address using dd. However I guess I discounted that part and did not commit the technique to memory because it simply does not apply to most instances of drive upgrades these days. Using dd to go from from 40 GB to 200GB will result in a swap space that is too small.

So based on the statements in Option 3, I stand by my statement that I'm pretty sure Hinsdale does not have you use dd to copy the drive (in this instance).

Good call on reminding him about the LBA-48 boot CD. The image pointed to by the interactive instructions should be fine.
    The more you search, the more you find. The more you read, the more you may learn.

The opinions expressed in this post are based on my life experiences and may or may not reflect YOUR reality. Use the information provided at your own risk

ok at
    /# i typed in mfsbackup[space]-Tao[space]-[space]/dev/hdc[space]|[space]mfsrestore [space]-s[space]127[space]-xzpi[space]/dev/hdd

the screen displayed a bunch of options -h,-i,-p etc. then said scanning source drive please wait
    source drive size is 40 hours
    uncompressed backup size: 36365 mb
    /#
    this took all of about 20 seconds. im assuming that it was done with its operation and that something is not right since the command prompt came up, but wanted either verification or to let it run in case i was wrong.

also how do i know if i have lba 48 (not sure exactly what that is/means), i downloaded the boot disk, mfstools2, from hinsdales how to page.

thanks again for the help
    Last edited by Zuggel; 03-18-2006 at 10:35 PM.
    -Zuggel

well, figured out at least part of the problem
    mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /dev/hdb

shoud be
    mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdb

is that right?
    -Zuggel

You can get LBA48 CD here.

well, got % flashing on my screen so somethings happening. good or bad i'll see in the morn, off to the bar to reward myself for the good work lol.

thanks again for the help, hopefully this solves my probs

ok, so the LBA48 will allow me to use the remaining 60 or so gb on my hd? will it still funtion properly if i "waste" the 60 gb? im not really to worried about the extra space, i would have gotten a smaller hd but these were on sale for $30 and i figured i wasnt going to find anything cheaper.
    Last edited by Zuggel; 03-18-2006 at 10:55 PM.
    -Zuggel

off to the bar to reward myself for the good work lol.
    See, that's where you went wrong. You are supposed to have a few pints before starting! Well, it works for me anyway.
    Uncle JT
    All your dish are belong to us.

well, figured out at least part of the problem ....

shoud be

is that right?
    You are correct. The - after the -Tao says send the output of the mfsbackup to standard output (stdout). The | says to "pipe" (or send) the output of the first command (mfsbackup) to standard input (stdin) of the next command (mfsrestore). the - after the -xzpi says to take the input for mfsrestore from stdin and write it to the output device (/dev/hdb in your case). So when you missed the - in the mfsrestore the command got confused. For more reading about the command options and what they do check this link to the mfstools readme.

Also some good information here about LBA48. Some of the warnings do not apply to most folks anymore because there are LBA48 kernels available for most (if not all) Tivos now.

Plus remember to reset the drive jumper to Master before you put it in the tivo.
    Last edited by fantmn; 03-18-2006 at 11:37 PM.

well, figured out at least part of the problem
    mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /dev/hdb

shoud be

is that right?
    Oops! Fixed it in the post in case anyone else tries it. Sorry.

ew

still got the green screen when i plugged it in. everything seemed ok, copied then it said how many hours the new drive had. moved the jumper, plugged the hd into tivo, plugged in tivo into the wall....patiently waited then bam...green screen. unless im doing something wrong, i guess that its just getting a bad image off the old hd.

so i need another image. is there a problem taking an image off another hughes series 2 dtv tivo? wasnt sure if there were any checks or anything that need to be changed if the image is from the hd of another machine?
    -Zuggel