Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Manual upgrade to 7.2.2

Another successful upgrade to 8.3-01-2-140 still using the venerable 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel and the backport drivers. Applied Superpatch all good, no problems.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Good to hear it.. I was mulling over this upgrade myself...

Have you come across the list of changes / fixes in this release ?

Quote Originally Posted by ercdvs View Post
    Good to hear it.. I was mulling over this upgrade myself...

Have you come across the list of changes / fixes in this release ?
    Quote Originally Posted by TiVo
    We just upgraded your Tivo service with the Spring 2007 Service update. This update includes more options for programs in your Now Playing list and integrates support for TivoCast content.

MORE OPTIONS
    When viewing the program screen for any recording, you'll now notice a "More Options" menu item. From here you'll be able to schedule additional recordings including the option "Get a Season Pass".

TIVOCAST
    You'll now see logos for TivoCast partners making it easy for you to ID the source of your broadband video at a glance.
    I just got the update on my RS-TX20 a few days ago. I purposely removed the "upgradesoftware=false" from my boot page and curiously, even after the upgrade, my hacks still seemed to work. I didn't spend a whole lot of time investigating because I was trying to backup a "vanilla" image of the drive so I went ahead and performed a "Clear and Delete". That said, I've been pretty happy with the update and I'll be reinstalling my hacks in a few days after I've verified stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    I just got the update on my RS-TX20 a few days ago. I purposely removed the "upgradesoftware=false" from my boot page and curiously, even after the upgrade, my hacks still seemed to work. I didn't spend a whole lot of time investigating because I was trying to backup a "vanilla" image of the drive so I went ahead and performed a "Clear and Delete". That said, I've been pretty happy with the update and I'll be reinstalling my hacks in a few days after I've verified stability.
    Unlikely. A software upgrade completely replaces the root partition and everything in it. It also installs a new kernel with all the initrd checks. A "Clear and Delete" does not wipe out hacks. Most likely, you still had the hacks after the update was received, but before the box had been rebooted and the upgrade installed.

Hmm.. no bug fixes ? I remember reading about the recent bug in the suggestions that seemed to have been fixed... but no comprehensive list.

Its not an ordeal to update, so i guess there is no point holding off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Unlikely. A software upgrade completely replaces the root partition and everything in it. It also installs a new kernel with all the initrd checks. A "Clear and Delete" does not wipe out hacks. Most likely, you still had the hacks after the update was received, but before the box had been rebooted and the upgrade installed.
    I know what you say is true, but this all happened after I rebooted and saw the "Please wait while TiVo installs a service update." screen. When I looked at the system information screen it had "Backdoors: ENABLED!" at the top and showed SW version 8.3. I never did try to telnet or ftp in since I was trying to get everything done before work and I was almost late. As I said, I don't know exactly why it may have done that, the phenomena went away after a hard reset.

Finally got around to upgrading to 8.3-01-2-140. I wanted to try swivel search. No problems. Still monteing to Jamie's 7.x custom kernel. Will upgrade to the 8.x posted in the custom kernels thread soon.
    Series 2 TCD140060 w/Lifetime, 9.3.2-01-2-140, 2x 250GB Seagate 7200.8 (638hrs), Monte'd, Tivotool, MRV.
    Unhacked TivoHD 500GB (76Hrs HD/638Hrs SD)

I have a SA 649 DT. What do I do different during this part of the above instructions?

Code:
    Tivo also put a new kernel in /dev/hda6; you don't want this, you want to put in your killhdinitrd 3.1.5 kernel there.

5. dd in the killhdinitrd 3.1.5 kernel into the NEW kernel partition (/dev/hda6)** overwriting the current Tivo-installed kernel. Of course, you will need to ftp the vmlinux.px file over beforehand.

dd if=/path/to/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda6
    I don't recall running killhdinitrd 3.1.5 but it may have been done by SApper. The only thing I recall doing to my kernel was superpatch. Would these steps change for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    I have a SA 649 DT. I don't recall running killhdinitrd 3.1.5 but it may have been done by SApper. The only thing I recall doing to my kernel was superpatch. Would these steps change for me?
    You never used killhdinitrd in any manner. It won't work with your box. That's why you needed a PROM mod. Superpatch patches tivoapp not your kernel. If you want to upgrade your box, you'll need to use replace_initrd on your new kernel or use a custom kernel, both of which are available in the files forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1134 View Post
    You never used killhdinitrd in any manner. It won't work with your box.
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1134 View Post
    If you want to upgrade your box, you'll need to use replace_initrd on your new kernel or use a custom kernel, both of which are available in the files forum.
    You confused me here, are these two different apps (killhdinitrd & replace_initrd)?

And so I need to be prepared to use replace_initrd or use a customer kernel? Am I understanding?

You confused me here, are these two different apps (killhdinitrd & replace_initrd)?

And so I need to be prepared to use replace_initrd or use a customer kernel? Am I understanding?
    Alright, bit of history here; I'm focusing on Standalones (SA), don't know much of DTivos. Yes, two different programs. In the first generation of Series 2 SA's (140,240 generation) Tivo put some security in the kernels affectionately known as the "chain of trust." The chain of trust prevented a user from modifying files on the tivo to start custom programs, scripts etc. There were some kernels that were susceptible to modifications to the initrd in the kernel which allowed one to bypass the chain of trust. There were a number of kernels susceptible, but most notably the 3.1.5 and 7.2.2-oth.k1 kernels are used these days because they are LBA48 aware. So on these first gen S2 tivos, you run killhdinitrd on a vulnerable kernel and use that kernel to boot.

Now, starting with what is known as Series 2.5 tivos, (540 and beyond gen), tivo tightened up security and in order to bypass the chain of trust, one needs to replace the PROM chip with one that has hacked code to bypass the system sanity checks. Killhdinitrd no longer works on these newer generations. So after you replace the PROM you can boot a kernel that has the initrd replace with a null one - either a custom one, or a stock one that has the initrd replaced with a null one with the "replace_initrd" program.

So on to your story, with a 649 the easiest thing is to simply replace the stock kernel with a null linuxrc image (search for tiny initrd) using the "replace_initrd.mips" program (in the files section). If you want to use a custom one (Jamie's are optimized for speed) you can simply dd that one in. Note however, for the 649 you will also need to replace the 'bcmemac.o' file with Jamie's custom one and you'll also need to create the "dummy" iptables file (iptables -F in rc.sysinit.author is not enough).

Although their purpose is similar -- to defeat initrd from deleting any changed files on your tivo root filesystem -- you seem to be confusing the allocation of these two different programs.

killhdinitrd is for soft-modding early series-2 based Tivo units. It changes certain exploitable S2 boot kernels to successfully pass the bootup PROM check but get away with bypassing the initrd portion of the kernel. This is what allows custom software and extra files ("hacks") in the root filesystem. Beginning with later model units, which we jokingly refer as Series-2.5 units (R10, Nightlight TCD540's), Tivo changed the boot PROM code to more thoroughly check the kernel for any changes.

replace_initrd
    is used to remove the initrd portion of the Tivo boot kernel. This is useful for folks with PROM mods, where the PROM code has been permanently changed to skip the kernel validation checks. You can use this with any Tivo kernel from any system software version, since your PROM mod will automatically allow the kernel. (Also sometimes useful for folks who still monte boot their units.)

Depending upon which model Tivo and if you have a PROM mod determines which one of those you would need to use.

You have a PROM mod.
    You use replace_initrd on your Tivo-supplied kernel. OR, if you know what you're doing you can compile a customized kernel from the source code at tivo.com/linux.

EDIT: Well, I see ScanMan already wrote a more coherent reponse.
    Last edited by Narf54321; 09-21-2007 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Beaten to the punch

Is it possible to back up my current kernel and other files so I will have them when it is time to upgrade? Will that work?

What files would I back up?
    What directories would I insert them in on the upgraded partition?

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321 View Post
    EDIT: Well, I see ScanMan already wrote a more coherent reponse.
    Well I don't know about coherent, mine was a bit meandering, your's was more to the point. It's all good though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soapm
    Is it possible to back up my current kernel and other files so I will have them when it is time to upgrade? Will that work? What files would I back up?
    What directories would I insert them in on the upgraded partition?
    Part of the problem Soap is that you said you used the SApper which makes a lot of custom changes and isn't supported here. You really have to see what files and directories are on the root filesystem and copy them over. One reason I keep stuff in /var is that you don't have to copy everything over. The good news is that after you upgrade your current root will still be on the alternate filesystem so you could do it incrementally once you ensure you do the kernel and critical stuff right. Another option is to take the update, lose your hacks, pull the drive and run the SApper again. Of course, any additional custom changes will have to be repeated. Finally, you could learn tcl and write a custom script to do all of this for you automagically like many of us have. Maybe I'll post mine after the next upgrade, although it's customized for my setup(s) and won't work for everyone OOTB so unfortunately it won't work completely for you...sorry.

The critical pieces of any hack are:
    1. kernel
    2. network drivers
    3. rc.sysinit.author
    4. iptables
    Any one of those borked will result in reboot loops. Oh yeah and make sure you've got the serial working for console bootlog captures.
    Last edited by ScanMan; 09-21-2007 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    Well I don't know about coherent, mine was a bit meandering, your's was more to the point. It's all good though!

Part of the problem Soap is that you said you used the SApper which makes a lot of custom changes and isn't supported here. You really have to see what files and directories are on the root filesystem and copy them over. One reason I keep stuff in /var is that you don't have to copy everything over. The good news is that after you upgrade your current root will still be on the alternate filesystem so you could do it incrementally once you ensure you do the kernel and critical stuff right. Another option is to take the update, lose your hacks, pull the drive and run the SApper again. Of course, any additional custom changes will have to be repeated. Finally, you could learn tcl and write a custom script to do all of this for you automagically like many of us have. Maybe I'll post mine after the next upgrade, although it's customized for my setup(s) and won't work for everyone OOTB so unfortunately it won't work completely for you...sorry.

The critical pieces of any hack are:
    1. kernel
    2. network drivers
    3. rc.sysinit.author
    4. iptables
    Any one of those borked will result in reboot loops.

For the record, I had to read both explinations to get a picture I understood. I appreciate the lessons. I know where the author file is, where are the rest kept?

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    Oh yeah and make sure you've got the serial working for console bootlog captures.
    Glad you reminded me, I had to disable my serial port so I could use my serial cable to change the channels on my cable box. I think that was bootpage and fairly strait forward.