Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Manual upgrade to 7.2.2

I keep seeing this dd copy, what does it mean? Is it a command or is it a tool? I google it and get 50 million hits of people saying to do it but no one ever explains the process...

dd = basic linux cmd
    Dump Data - convert and copy a file (use for RAW storage), create a boot floppy

google "man dd"

http://gentoo-wiki.com/MAN_dd_1
    http://linux.die.net/man/1/dd
    http://www.ss64.com/bash/dd.html

I have attached a script I developed (with healthy borrowing) to automate the manual upgrade process. I've used this for the last few upgrades. I'm sure most of the veterans here have something similar. This script should be used as a learning tool and not as a turn-key solution. It is commented pretty well. It is customized for my machines and setup; it expects certain files and directories in certain places. If you try to use it without understanding what it does or without customizing, YOU WILL PROBABLY WIND UP WITH A REBOOT LOOP OR A NON-BOOTING TIVO! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. It will do the following:

1. Modify and run your installSw.itcl file automatically (note that installSw.itcl by default will install the latest software version on your machine)
    2. Install your choice of kernel or use replace_initrd
    3. "Fix" your iptables, install backports and copy your rc.sysinit.author file
    4. Create a report of key file changes that you can review before rebooting.
    5. And much, much more...

The script will not work with monte (without mod) and this is essentially written for Standalones (SA's) as I don't have DTivos. I hope it helps some of you to ease the pain of the manual upgrade process or gives you some ideas for your own scripts.

EDIT: This started as a multi-generation script that I used to upgrade Series 2, Series 2 DT and Series 3. It will still do all but I added comments to indicate which stuff is generally Series 2 vs. prom-modded TiVos.
    Last edited by ScanMan; 10-25-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added comments to distinguish s2 vs. s3
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Thumbs up

I upgraded to 9.1 last night because I was forced to. Expired certificate = no guide data. I lament the loss of MRV to my DTivo but can live with it. The upgrade went fine until reboot. It hung during the phase where it tells you the update can take an hour or more. Well, after 2 hours I pulled the plug and it booted all the way up. There was, however, no network connection. The belkin usb ethernet adapter is not detected. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the Tivo immediately rebooted. I've been using the pegasus.o driver from Jamie's backport since upgrading to 8.1. I've continued to use the driver current from that date with each successive upgrade. The only change other than the operating system is that I also switched to using Jamie's custom 8.1 kernel in a Monte. I had been using his custom 7.2 kernel for the last two years. My question is whether the new kernel is not compatible with the pegaus.o backport driver from a year ago or do I just need to use an updated backported pegasus.o driver. I've got two weeks of guide data so I have some time to work this out. Thanks.

EDIT: I should have done a little more reading before proceeding with the update. I'll get the backport package for the 8.x kernels.
    Last edited by sucram65; 10-21-2007 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Found my own answer
    Series 2 TCD140060 w/Lifetime, 9.3.2-01-2-140, 2x 250GB Seagate 7200.8 (638hrs), Monte'd, Tivotool, MRV.
    Unhacked TivoHD 500GB (76Hrs HD/638Hrs SD)

Hmmm... I have 2 identical series 2 stand alone tivos... the first one (with the larger HD) I manually upgraded to 9.1 ... got the kernel over, tools, .author, etc... and rebooted just fine to a 9.1 hacked box. I have only to superpatch it.

My second tivo... I did everything exactly as the first.. But now it constantly reboots on the powering up phase. I went so far as to try and switch the bootpage back, but that gives errors due to the changes in 9.1 ... I even tried copying everything from my working tivo /dev/hda7 to my broken box .. and it just hangs at powering up now.

No logs in var ... and I can't find my serial cable. Should I get another one or can I recover this with a virgin image from somewhere?

The hanging at powering up leads me to a kernel issue, as that is before the tivo software, right ?

try removing the network adapter. See if it still reboots, there was an issue in an older release with some network adapters.

no.. I had this problem in the last update, and I made sure my backported drivers were copied over. I still tried it, and no joy.

I did do a backup / restore from my 'good' drive to my broken drive, and the bad drive in the 'good' tivo boots up, and gets to the blank screen before the menu comes up. It makes the 'bong' if I hit the menu key. then reboots.

back in its original tivo... it hangs at powering up .. very strange. I didn't copy var on the backup, but other then that.. my broken drive should have 1:1 with the good drive.

now tearing apart the house for the serial cable.. I think I just need to order another one..

Quote Originally Posted by ercdvs View Post
    no.. I had this problem in the last update, and I made sure my backported drivers were copied over. I still tried it, and no joy.

I did do a backup / restore from my 'good' drive to my broken drive, and the bad drive in the 'good' tivo boots up, and gets to the blank screen before the menu comes up. It makes the 'bong' if I hit the menu key. then reboots.

back in its original tivo... it hangs at powering up .. very strange. I didn't copy var on the backup, but other then that.. my broken drive should have 1:1 with the good drive.

now tearing apart the house for the serial cable.. I think I just need to order another one..
    Actually.. I'm an *****.. the IDE cable was loose on the tivo side from all the in & out. It boots up to '..just a few more minutes..' and it sits there. I am getting a new cable now to see the output... I tried forcing a file check.. any other 'pause' code that would help here ?

Upgrade to 9.3

Confirming successful upgrade to: 9.3-01-2-649 [S2 Dual-Tuner]

Used the script posted in #48 above with Jamie's TGC01 kernel and custom 'bcmemac.o'. I updated that attachment in post #48 to an updated version that can upgrade different "generations" of tivo using combinations of killhdinitrd and custom kernels. I use the one script to upgrade 240, 649 and 652 units without changing anything.

Also, ported Superpatch to the 9.3 software version which I posted here.

rayik Guest
    I should have run your script. I used vi to edit the installSw.itcl file to prevent a reboot. However, I "saved" my edit with ":q!" Once again, had to pull the drive.

Problem Updating to 9.3

I ran into a problem doing the update. I'm not certain how to interpret the error reported by the script so I will post it here.

Code:
    link: /install/tmp to /install/var/tmp
    ln: /install/tmp/tmp: File exists
        while executing
    "exec ln -s /var/tmp $installdir/tmp"
        (file "/var/utils//buildskeleton" line 31)
        while executing
    "exec tivosh /var/utils//buildskeleton /install"
        ("eval" body line 1)
        invoked from within
    "eval exec tivosh $prefix/buildskeleton $installdir"
        (file "/var/utils/updateroot" line 147)
    child process exited abnormally
        while executing
    "exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages $name >&@ stdout"
        invoked from within
    "if [catch { set fIsActive [CheckActive $db $name] } res] {
            putlog "No software found in db for \"$name\", $res"
        } else {
            if { $eme..."
        (procedure "InstallSoftware" line 7)
        invoked from within
    "InstallSoftware $db $name"
        (file "/tvbin/installSw.itcl" line 119)

UPDATE: I got the update to proceed after about 4 attempts. space was low on hda4, my old root, so I began deleting the .tars I keep on there normally for the next update. I also had forgotten to delete the tivoapp.original in tvbin. I don't think space was the problem judging from the errors reported but then again I am no expert. If someone can interpret what was going wrong that would be helpful.
    Last edited by sucram65; 06-02-2008 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Resoved problem
    Series 2 TCD140060 w/Lifetime, 9.3.2-01-2-140, 2x 250GB Seagate 7200.8 (638hrs), Monte'd, Tivotool, MRV.
    Unhacked TivoHD 500GB (76Hrs HD/638Hrs SD)

Confirming successful upgrade using my script above to 9.4-01-2-652 (TivoHD). This time I used 'replace_initrd' on the stock kernel due to some issues noted in the 9.4 on S3/HD thread. I basically didn't feel like altering my startup scripts right now. I also minimally patched tivoapp (NoCSO + Backdoors) using jt's patches posted in that same thread. Everything looks great; pretty uneventful upgrade process (the way I like it ) although looks like some great new features in 9.4.

Throg Guest
    One of my SAS2s downloaded this: 9.3.2.P4-01-2-140.
    Has it been scrutinized yet?

Thread on TCF about 9.3.2: link

Quote Originally Posted by Throg View Post
    One of my SAS2s downloaded this: 9.3.2.P4-01-2-140.
    Has it been scrutinized yet?
    Code:
    VMA/HEX                 orig value      new value

0x005a86a0/0x001a86a0	104000AA	100000AA     //NoCSO
    0x007329c0/0x003329c0   00008021        24100001     //Backdoors
    untested, yada-yada-yada..

looks like there's an ftp daemon included now (/sbin/aftpd)
    Last edited by jt1134; 08-21-2009 at 12:45 AM.