Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Manual upgrade to 7.2.2

Throg Guest
    Thanks for the TCF link, good info. Thanks for the no-CSO (verified). I didn't check the backdoors. I don't typically use them on this box. I do however need the MRV to work. Hopefully soon. I sure wish I knew what I was looking at/for.

Confirming successful upgrade to 9.3.2-01-2-140, the Fall 2008 Update for Series 2. Still using the '7.2.2-oth.k1' kernel with backport drivers.

The NoCSO and Backdoors patches were posted by jt1134 on the previous page of this thread. I posted a full Superpatch port in the superpatch-support thread (Series 2 Support) forum. Everything has tested successfully.

P.S. I updated my script in post #48 with an improved version.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

I successfully upgraded to 9.3.2-01-2-140. Using the Jamie's 8.1 custom kernel. Still monte'ing from the 3.1.1c kernel.
    Series 2 TCD140060 w/Lifetime, 9.3.2-01-2-140, 2x 250GB Seagate 7200.8 (638hrs), Monte'd, Tivotool, MRV.
    Unhacked TivoHD 500GB (76Hrs HD/638Hrs SD)

Quote Originally Posted by jt1134 View Post
    looks like there's an ftp daemon included now (/sbin/aftpd)
    Looking through the logs, it looks like it is looking for a home directory of /home/ftp. A symbolic link to the directory of your choice should get it up and running
    Code:
    mkdir /home
    ln -s / /home/ftp
    aftpd
    Personally, I think I'll stick with tivoftpd.

Need a little help with ManualUpgrade script

I get the following output when I run the script in #48. I can't tell if it has successfully run installSw.itcl -- it doesn't give me an error message. It does not remove the "reboot" and substitute "exit 0". Should I put in the exit 0, then run installSw.itcl, then run ManualUpgrade.tcl? Thanks...

Do you want this script to automatically edit and run /tvbin/installSw.itcl for
    you? [y/n]:
    y

You must run installSw.itcl before this script.
    installSw.itcl should have completed without error. If so, do you want to conti
    nue? [y/n]:

Quote Originally Posted by leeclarke View Post
    I get the following output when I run the script in #48. I can't tell if it has successfully run installSw.itcl -- it doesn't give me an error message. It does not remove the "reboot" and substitute "exit 0". Should I put in the exit 0, then run installSw.itcl, then run ManualUpgrade.tcl? Thanks...

Do you want this script to automatically edit and run /tvbin/installSw.itcl for
    you? [y/n]:
    y

You must run installSw.itcl before this script.
    installSw.itcl should have completed without error. If so, do you want to conti
    nue? [y/n]:
    You have to start with a virgin file; or just edit it yourself and continue. If you're doing this from a dos/nt command prompt, check your dos line endings. I think you need to do something like 'unset crlf' ; or better yet use a better terminal prog like putty. Just be careful b/c that's customized for my system. Probably not the best thing to run it if you are unsure of what it is doing. What are you using for a kernel file? Maybe just manually do it following the steps in the first post.

Thanks for responding. I'm reasonably sure what it's doing, tho I'm not as expert as you. I've changed your "set killhd" to vmlinux-Gen06-netopt-ext3.px (the hacked kernel I'm using) and "set myNIC" to bcmenet.o. Also put the name of the hacked kernel where you say "Put your generation specific custom kernels/drivers here!" I run your script in the same directory as the hacked kernel and bcmenet. I understand the logic of the other things happening in the script. When I originally hacked the machine I put "exit 0" in the installSw, so it wasn't virgin, but I re-edited it and put "reboot" back in. Can I just run installSw -- with exit 0 in it -- an then run your script? Can't thank you enough for all the stuff you do here.......

Thanks for responding. I'm reasonably sure what it's doing, tho I'm not as expert as you. I've changed your "set killhd" to vmlinux-Gen06-netopt-ext3.px (the hacked kernel I'm using) and "set myNIC" to bcmenet.o. Also put the name of the hacked kernel where you say "Put your generation specific custom kernels/drivers here!" I run your script in the same directory as the hacked kernel and bcmenet. I understand the logic of the other things happening in the script. When I originally hacked the machine I put "exit 0" in the installSw, so it wasn't virgin, but I re-edited it and put "reboot" back in. Can I just run installSw -- with exit 0 in it -- an then run your script? Can't thank you enough for all the stuff you do here.......
    If you change installSW back, it should work fine. You don't need to edit the killhd stuff, that was for Series2 stuff since I used this for a bunch of machines. Just need to edit the custom stuff for the S3's.

What is the indication that installSw.itcl has been run properly by the script? I get the message: "You must run installSw.itcl before this script". If I run installSw first, then can I run ManualUpgrade w/o incident?

What is the indication that installSw.itcl has been run properly by the script? I get the message: "You must run installSw.itcl before this script". If I run installSw first, then can I run ManualUpgrade w/o incident?
    Yes. It really sounds like a dos line ending thing. Even in putty you have to check "Return key send Telnet New Line instead of ^M". At any rate yes just run installSw yourself; then run the script. Take a look at this post (and thread) and you should see my script output.

Thanks for the help. I ran dos2unix, which I have in /tivo-bin, on installSw and ManualUpgrade, with the same result. When I run installSw it tells me 11.0j is already active. bootpage -p tells me root is hda7. I mounted hda4 on mnt and copied relevant files over. But I assume that means hda3 will be my new kernel. How do I get my hacked kernel into hda3?

Thanks for the help. I ran dos2unix, which I have in /tivo-bin, on installSw and ManualUpgrade, with the same result. When I run installSw it tells me 11.0j is already active. bootpage -p tells me root is hda7. I mounted hda4 on mnt and copied relevant files over. But I assume that means hda3 will be my new kernel. How do I get my hacked kernel into hda3?
    From telnet
    Code:
    dd if=./vmlinux-Gen06-netopt-ext3.px of=/dev/hda3
    The ./ assumes you run it from the directory where the kernel is located; otherwise provide the path.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwilsoon View Post
    You know, I admit my info might be a little outdated on that; I read it somewhere in my travels...perhaps it's been addressed or is not an issue anymore. I'm not currently using it, so I'm not sure.
    Not an issue anymore. TivoWebPlus has been fine on all the recent software on the Series 3 generation for some time now.

EDIT: You got me!
    Last edited by ScanMan; 10-29-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: frickin' spammers!

Thank you for the very nicely written article.

I have a dumb question:

If you run the installSW.itcl first, then copy your stuff over, does it matter at which point you run the "superpatch"? (in my case I am using the tvapppatch.tcl)

Meaning:

Reboot and THEN apply the patch?

Or apply the patch and then reboot?

(It's my understanding that the tivoapp file is on the / partition in the /tvbin directory). So I would think that as along as you patch the correct one (probably easier BEFORE the reboot to patch the non-active "new" one since it's rw and after a reboot you'll end up with ro and have to remount rw and then patch)?

Typically, it does not matter if you superpatch tivoapp before or after the reboot. It's best to patch before you reboot, in case you've made modifications that depend upon patches (e.g., Bufferhack?).