Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Manual upgrade to 7.2.2

I'm attempting to perform an insitu upgrade one my series 3 to 11.0j. Whenever I run installSw.itcl I get the following:

bash-2.02# installSw.itcl
    02/04:04:01:53: .//installSw.itcl: Installing "11.0j-01-2-652".
    Installing module utils
    02/04:04:01:53: .//installSw.itcl: Executing updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages 11.0j-01-2-652
    Path prefix is /var/utils/
    Sha1hash passed for updatekernel
    Sha1hash passed for checkkernel.tcl
    Sha1hash passed for messagelib.tcl
    Sha1hash passed for buildskeleton
    Sha1hash passed for SwInstall.tcl
    Sha1hash passed for builddev

Searching /etc/fstab for current root

Old root is on /dev/hda4, new one goes on /dev/hda7

Creating new filesystem on /dev/hda7

Mounting new root filesystem on /install

Installing module core
    Installing module hpk-Gen06
    Installing module locale-en_US
    Installing module eiger
    Installing module kernel-Gen06
    Building basic filesystem skeleton on /install

Checking /install/etc/fstab

newroot is 7, copying fstab from fstab.alternate
    Creating symlinks for /install/etc files
    Dismounting /install and checking its integrity

e2fsck: Only one the options -p/-a, -n or -y may be specified.
    while executing
    "exec e2fsck -p -f -n $dev$newroot"
    (file "/var/utils/updateroot" line 169)
    child process exited abnormally
    while executing
    "exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages $name >&@ stdout"
    invoked from within
    "if [catch { set fIsActive [CheckActive $db $name] } res] {
    putlog "No software found in db for \"$name\", $res"
    } else {
    if { $eme..."
    (procedure "InstallSoftware" line 7)
    invoked from within
    "InstallSoftware $db $name"
    (file ".//installSw.itcl" line 119)

Has anyone else seen this error while upgrading?

"which e2fsck" should say "/sbin/e2fsck" I suspect you have a different one earlier in your path. TiVo uses an old one, -p, -n, and -y are mutually exclusive on modern ones.

If that's the case, your path is wrong. Your hack directory should be after /sbin:/bin:/tivobin:/tvbin:

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    I have attached a script I developed (with healthy borrowing) to automate the manual upgrade process.<snip>

1. Modify and run your installSw.itcl file automatically (note that installSw.itcl by default will install the latest software version on your machine)
    2. Install your choice of kernel or use replace_initrd
    3. "Fix" your iptables, install backports and copy your rc.sysinit.author file
    4. Create a report of key file changes that you can review before rebooting.
    5. And much, much more...

EDIT: This started as a multi-generation script that I used to upgrade Series 2, Series 2 DT and Series 3. It will still do all but I added comments to indicate which stuff is generally Series 2 vs. prom-modded TiVos.
    Not that it matters now since I manually finished the upgraded but I'm curious about something, I used ManualUpgrade to upgrade my TivoHd from 11.0j to 11.0m. It was running fine until it went to nueter the kernel then it said it couldn't find null-linuxrc and replace_initrd and stopped. Just wondering where it was looking for them to be? I had everything in /var/hack which is where I assumed it would look. Did I miss the instructions or was there an more obvious place I should have placed them?

Lucky for me it didn't reverse what it had done including mounting the alternate partitions so I was manually able to nueter the kernel and copy over the hack directories. I doubt there will ever be another TivoHD update but I would like to put everything in the right place just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    It was running fine until it went to nueter the kernel then it said it couldn't find null-linuxrc and replace_initrd and stopped. Just wondering where it was looking for them to be? I had everything in /var/hack which is where I assumed it would look. Did I miss the instructions or was there an more obvious place I should have placed them?
    By default the script looks in "/var/hacks" (just where I had everything). You can edit the script in the beginning for your location, /var/hack, and it should work fine. Glad it didn't screw anything up and you were able to correct. I'm about to take the upgrade plunge again myself.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    By default the script looks in "/var/hacks" (just where I had everything). You can edit the script in the beginning for your location, /var/hack, and it should work fine. Glad it didn't screw anything up and you were able to correct. I'm about to take the upgrade plunge again myself.
    The S screwed me... Heck man, I guess I didn't have that clear because I could have easily made the directory hacks instead of hack.

Thanks...