Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Manual upgrade to 7.2.2

Quote Originally Posted by jasch View Post
    Tried to to the manual upgrade to 7.3.1 (installSw.itcl 7.3.1-oth-01-2-540) and it failed with:
    Code:
    Creating upgrade messages
    can't read "env(SerialNumber)": no such variable
    You aren't running it from an environment that has all the necessary environment variables set.

It might be enough to just set it to the empty string and export it before running the script:
    Code:
    export SerialNumber=""
    Last edited by Jamie; 08-24-2006 at 03:32 PM.

5. dd in the killhdinitrd 3.1.5 kernel into the NEW kernel partition (/dev/hda6)** overwriting the current Tivo-installed kernel. Of course, you will need to ftp the vmlinux.px file over beforehand.

dd if=/path/to/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda6
    Im stuck on step 5. I used replace_initrd (originaly), I compiled the code on my linux(mandrake) box and ran the binary from it onto mounted at the time tivo HD.

Now I'm trying to run the 'replace_initrd' binary from my tivo (telnet), and it's not liking it. Its telling me that its not a file, or that its a directory. Anyways, am I screwed, will I need to pull the HD again, or can i just move my old 'replaced' kernel into the spot of the new kernel?

Thank you.
    S3 / TCD648250b - Socketed
    Audio out of sync

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring2099 View Post
    Im stuck on step 5. I used replace_initrd (originaly), I compiled the code on my linux(mandrake) box and ran the binary from it onto mounted at the time tivo HD.

Now I'm trying to run the 'replace_initrd' binary from my tivo (telnet), and it's not liking it. Its telling me that its not a file, or that its a directory. Anyways, am I screwed, will I need to pull the HD again, or can i just move my old 'replaced' kernel into the spot of the new kernel?

Thank you.
    Yes, the 'replace_initrd' binary is for linux and won't run natively on your MIPS tivo. You have a couple of solutions, but it really depends on whether you already ran the 'installSw.itcl' script. In general, you can extract a kernel from your tivo (via telnet) and save it to a file with:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/var/tmp/MyKernel.px
    Normally, you would use your current active kernel partition (3 or 6) based on 'bootpage -p' output (kernel is root-1). So if you haven't run 'installSw.itcl' yet, you could extract the current kernel as above and save it for future use.

However, if you did already run 'installSw.itcl' tivo installed a stock kernel into your alternate kernel partition and then flipped your bootpage so that alternate became active and vice versa. So before you reboot, you need to replace the stock kernel with your 'hacked' one. Since tivo uses your alternate partition pair to install software upgrades, your 'hacked' kernel and old root are still alive and well in the (now) alternate set. So, depending on where your active partion pair was originally ('bootpage -p' from Step 1) - again you could extract it as above, or you could simply use dd to transfer it to the new active kernel partition as so:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/hda6
    You could also take the new 'stock' kernel, extract it as above and then download to your PC and run 'replace_initrd' on it. Last but not least, I understand the kernels posted here also work on PROM modded tivos.

As an aside, it sounds like you have Mandrake, but if you spend a lot of time in Windows, you should look at cygwin, it really makes things like this a lot easier to play with....good luck!

NOTE: The 'replace_initrd' is used on PROM modded tivos aka the 2.5 architecture (540's) etc. If you have a 140 or 240 or other "Series 2" tivo that does not have/require a PROM mod, you don't need 'replace_initrd' (except maybe for monte) but never mind, I digress, just dd over your killhdinitrd kernel as described in the 1st post.
    Last edited by ScanMan; 08-29-2006 at 11:22 PM.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

ScanMan,

Thank you for the info.

The last note confused me.

Right now I have a 'replaced kernel' on my /dev/hda3 partition. So when I get to step five. Can I run
    Code:
    to move the kernel to the new partition, or for some weird reason only "killhdinitrd" kernels can be moved.
    Audio out of sync

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring2099 View Post
    ScanMan,
    The last note confused me.

Right now I have a 'replaced kernel' on my /dev/hda3 partition. So when I get to step five. Can I run
    Code:
    to move the kernel to the new partition, or for some weird reason only "killhdinitrd" kernels can be moved.
    Yes, you can run the dd command to transfer the kernel from /dev/hda3 to /dev/hda6. dd has nothing to do with kernels, per se; it's a tool for copying data and raw device files. I only inserted the last note so people w/out prom mod tivos would not be confused and think they needed to do something with replace_initrd.
    Last edited by ScanMan; 08-29-2006 at 11:01 PM.

I did my update, minus the superpatch on 7.3.1.

Does anyone else notice a significant slow down. My tivo now takes up to 5 seconds to respond in some cases, like hitting the guide button. When I try to record, it takes over 15 seconds to initialize and go through with it.
    Audio out of sync

oh yeah, my sd-h400 is soooo slow to respond now. takes at least 5 seconds to do most that were instant. there are a few threads on this at tcf.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpenguin View Post
    oh yeah, my sd-h400 is soooo slow to respond now. takes at least 5 seconds to do most that were instant. there are a few threads on this at tcf.
    Do you see any significant load (e.g. with top) or swapping (e.g. with top or /proc/swaps)? Are you seeing any unusual messages in any of the /var/log files? Just curious if we can nail down the "7.3.1 is slow" problem.

Yeah, I just updated two of my TCD240 units, which also seem pretty 'slow' under 7.3.1. But we're also playing with the KidZone feature, which may be useful at our house, so overall it may be a good update for us.

My folks have two TCD540 units which they report seems 'slower' than previous software.

never really looked into it since I saw I was not alone, figured just inefficient code in use. I have not looked at the logs for a while, so not sure if anything is just new for the release or odd, but the tvlog had a lot of "scheduler... canadates" lines and also a few " SimulationWatch: Hold xxxx pri 1", wonder if that pegs cpu for one proc crushing IR receiving. I know I had to comment out the pri line from TWP to allow items like telnet and such to not be put on hold till I exited TWP, maybe tivo is setting something to too high a priority.

Confirming successful upgrade to 8.1 using the venerable 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel; however after reading some recent posts regarding a few experiencing reboots with 8.1/3.1.5 and wired nics, I used the backport 'usbnet.o' for my FA120.

Rather than risk having to pull my drive (or hope I had enough serial bash time before rebooting) I just used the backport driver. No problems whatsoever.

Just waiting for the last Superpatch bugs(?) to be worked out; oh yeah, and for those interested, the 8.1 GUI is snappy once again...seems that 7.3 slowness is a thing of the past...hopefully. Have fun!

Another successful upgrade to 8.1a-01-2-140 still using the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel. I am using the backport drivers so I installed these as part of the manual upgrade.

As a reminder, recall there were some problems with the 8.1 release and reboots/loss of network connectivity apparently due to incompatibilities with the stock drivers and the killhdinitrd kernels. It could be solved by using the backport drivers or the previous 7.3.1 drivers. See the "8.1 and my NIC" thread for more details. I do not know if this is still an issue but be forewarned and have a recovery plan.

Lastly, applied the Superpatch; all looks well, NoCSO, MRV, etc.

I successfully upgraded to 8.1a-01-2-140 last night still using my Monte setup from a 3.1.1c kernel to Jamie's custom 7.2.x kernel. As a precaution, to avoid problems with my wired nic like last time I replaced the default pegasus.o driver with the one from Jamie's backported drivers. I patched my last superpatch version with the 8.1a diff and then applied the superpatch with no problems. Everything appears to be working well. Next I have to patch my Direct Tivo SD-DVR40 tonight or tomorrow.
    Series 2 TCD140060 w/Lifetime, 9.3.2-01-2-140, 2x 250GB Seagate 7200.8 (638hrs), Monte'd, Tivotool, MRV.
    Unhacked TivoHD 500GB (76Hrs HD/638Hrs SD)

rayik Guest
    Another successful upgrade to 8.1a-01-2-140. Thanks ScanMan for documenting what you did.

I did make one mistake which others may want to avoid. I forgot to copy over to the new system the folder I keep the S2 all in one binaries. That folder included tivoftpd. So while I had telnet, no ftp. It was no big deal. Pulled drive to copy over the folder.

So for others doing this upgrade in place, don't forget to either copy over any other folders containing your binaries, or at least make sure you put tivoftpd onto the new system

I have a hacks directory in my root that has all of my modified files, i.e. iptables, rc.sysinit.author etc.. With each update I simply tar that directory and copy it over to the new root, untar and then copy things to where they need to be. That way I don't forget anything.
    Series 2 TCD140060 w/Lifetime, 9.3.2-01-2-140, 2x 250GB Seagate 7200.8 (638hrs), Monte'd, Tivotool, MRV.
    Unhacked TivoHD 500GB (76Hrs HD/638Hrs SD)