Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Record XM Radio Dtivo 6.2

Record XM Radio Dtivo 6.2

i have dtivo with 6.2.. i telnet into bash and type the following (taken from the sonoshift.tcl thread post by alphawolf) but I cant record XM radio.. please help me!:

bash-2.02# echo -ne "\x10\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=4665340
    2+0 records in
    2+0 records out
    bash-2.02# echo -ne "\x00\x00\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek<00\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=4665404
    4+0 records in
    4+0 records out
    bash-2.02# echo -ne "\x00\x00\x10\x21" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek<00\x10\x21" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=8282492
    4+0 records in
    4+0 records out
    bash-2.02#

after this I reboot and try to record xm but it still tells me that recording of audio only channels is not supported. Please help!

Silver
    Last edited by elbajatrip; 03-28-2006 at 08:35 PM.

Were you trying to patch a running tivoapp? (if so, you can't patch a running tivoapp, instead, patch a copy of tivoapp, then swap the two, and reboot).

so, would something like this work?

Code:
    cd /tvbin
    mv tivoapp tivoapp.tmp
    cp tivoapp.tmp tivoapp
    chmod 755 tivoapp
    echo -ne "\x10\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=4665340
    echo -ne "\x00\x00\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=4665404
    echo -ne "\x00\x00\x10\x21" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=8282492
    restart
    Last edited by elbajatrip; 03-30-2006 at 08:52 PM.

You need to modify/patch a copy of tivoapp named something other than "tivoapp" (as I think that the copy of tivoapp in memory [or perhaps Linux] prevents modifications to that binary while it's executing).

So...

cd /tvbin
    cp tivoapp tivoapp.new
    chmod 755 tivoapp.new
    echo -ne blah blah blah...

Now that you've patched a non-running tivoapp, you need to swap them for the next reboot (though keep the old version for the reboot in case something goes awry). So...

mv tivoapp tivoapp.orig
    mv tivoapp.new tivoapp

And then reboot.

Hope this helps.

so in the echo -ne blah blah blah portion i need to replace tivoapp for tivoapp.new?

PS: Thank you again for your help

Quote Originally Posted by elbajatrip
    so in the echo -ne blah blah blah portion i need to replace tivoapp for tivoapp.new?

PS: Thank you again for your help
    You'll want to modify/patch the "tivoapp.new" using the "echo -ne ..." commands you listed.

Conceptually what you are doing is as follows:
    1. copy tivoapp to tivoapp.new
    2. modify tivoapp.new using either the "echo -ne ..." commands you list
    3. swap the modified tivoapp.new with the existing tivoapp
    4. reboot.

Finally, note that in step 2, instead of using the "echo -ne ..." commands you list, you could alternatively extract a copy of tivoapp.new (by ftping it from your tivo to your PC), modify the bytes of tivoapp using a hex editor, and then upload your modified copy to your tivo. You would still need to make sure that the permissions where correct (chmod) and swap the modified tivoapp for the old one before you reboot, but I found that to be a more comfortable way for my first attempt.

Hope this helps.

it sure does.. thanks again.. I'll post here if for whatever reason I can't get it to work.

Silver.

Success!!

Success!! I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly.. now I can record XM. Thanks again.. here is what I did:

Code:
    cd /tvbin
    cp tivoapp tivoapp.new
    chmod 755 tivoapp.new
    echo -ne "\x10\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp.new bs=1 seek=4665340
    echo -ne "\x00\x00\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp.new bs=1 seek=4665404
    echo -ne "\x00\x00\x10\x21" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp.new bs=1 seek=8282492
    mv tivoapp tivoapp.orig
    mv tivoapp.new tivoapp
    restart

That definitely works!

On issue though. Whenever I timeshift XM channels, the screen displays a freeze frame of the other tuner. Is that "normal"?

On issue though. Whenever I timeshift XM channels, the screen displays a freeze frame

Yes, the freeze frame from the other tuner is very normal, and very distracting, but it works
    2 DSR704's, 250GB, HMO, USB2, 6.2
    1 HDVR2, 120GB, USB2, 6.2
    1 SA2, Life-sub, 250GB, USB2, 4.0.1b-02
    1 PC Running TivoServer 0.3, Windows XP, 800GB

Oh, well. Thanks for the reply.

does anyone else have a problem with tytools crashing when you try to extract an audio channel recording???
    if so how do you fix it???

Quote Originally Posted by wlblljb
    does anyone else have a problem with tytools crashing when you try to extract an audio channel recording???
    if so how do you fix it???
    What's your setup?
    Tivo Model:
    Tivo S/W version:
    TyTools version:
    TyTools method for extraction:

The more we know about your setup the better we (or at least I, anyways) can help you.

L8r
    Last edited by tvtyme; 05-21-2006 at 12:44 AM.

Processing audio-only channel ty files

My setup is Directv Series 2 "enhanced" with the Instant Cake and PTVnet tools as well as the patch mentioned above to record the XM stations. TivoTool on my Mac can not even extract the files while TyTool10r4 on the Windows machine can. However, when I try to process the ty file, tytool crashes. Hope that someone can provide the next steps to take.

Quote Originally Posted by larbear
    My setup is Directv Series 2 "enhanced" with the Instant Cake and PTVnet tools as well as the patch mentioned above to record the XM stations. TivoTool on my Mac can not even extract the files while TyTool10r4 on the Windows machine can. However, when I try to process the ty file, tytool crashes. Hope that someone can provide the next steps to take.
    Since I know nothing about Macs I can't advise why the extraction fails. For the Win TyTools, I could extract. But I couldn't convert using TyProcess.
    I used idoco's TYES instead. See http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showth...t=45476&page=2
    His info. and the source code is in Post #20. I put a Win binary in Post #42.

L8r