Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monte from killhdinitrd 3.1.5 to S2_Unscramble

Monte from killhdinitrd 3.1.5 to S2_Unscramble

---Monte from killhdinitrd 3.1.5 to S2_Unscramble---

I was interested in a monte from a killhdinitrd 3.1.5 to a custom s2_unscramble kernel on my Tivo 7.2.2 software release. I decided to monte my live "running" tivo (via telnet) by installing in the alternate partitions (as described by NutKase in the definitive killhdinitrd monte thread here. Note however, that NutKase was upgrading an already old-school monted tivo so his partition references probably don't apply to you; just be careful if you try to use his instructions in planning your steps.

Why did I want to perform a monte install on my running tivo?

1. I try to avoid pulling my drive for hacks at all costs.
    2. By utilizing the alternate partitions and enabling the boot PROM menu, I can rescue myself if I screw it up...

So, while you're messing around in telnet do this: "crypto -u -srp <new password here>"
    This will set a new password for the PROM menu. Then, see this thread that talks about enabling booting from the prom menu (you do have a serial cable, right?)

This is what I currently have: (6/7 are my active partitions and 3/4 are my alternate)

/dev/hda3 (nothing)
    /dev/hda4 (nothing)
    /dev/hda6 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel
    /dev/hda7 7.2.2 tivo root filesystem

What I want:

/dev/hda3 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel
    /dev/hda4 7.2.2 tivo root filesystem with /monte
    /dev/hda6 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel (not used - alternate)
    /dev/hda7 7.2.2 tivo root filesystem (not used - alternate)

You want to start by reading the s2_unscramble thread here.

One word of caution - as Jamie points out in the s2_unscramble thread - the most reliable from/to kernel monte is the 2.4.4 kernel. People have had mixed results with the 2.4.18 and 2.4.20 versions of kmonte.o.

Another important thing to remember is that you must use the proper version of kmonte.o for your kernel. It's also helpful if the kernel you are monteing from is the same as that you are monteing to (from 2.4.20 to 2.4.20) unless you need to monte to a different kernel version (for example, for LBA48 support). Oh by the way, the 2.4.20 versions of kmonte.o can be found here.

Now I'll toss all caution into the wind and attempt the 2.4.20 kernel monte on my TCD24004A because "I just like doing things like that..."

Telnet in and...

1. Check my current bootpage with "bootpage -p /dev/hda"

root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false

2. Mirror the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel in /dev/hda3

dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/dev/hda3

3. Mirror the root filesystem (7.2.2) in /dev/hda4

dd if=/dev/hda7 of=/dev/hda4

4. mount /dev/hda4 and create /monte directory

mount /dev/hda4 /mnt
    mkdir /mnt/monte

5. Place the following files in /mnt/monte (ftp works well - although watch the permissions)

monte
    kmonte.o
    vmlinux.px.3.1.5x (Custom unscramble kernel found here)
    chmod 755 "all of the above"

6. Create rc.sysinit.monte in /mnt/etc/rc.d on /dev/hda4

*This is basically the same as NutKase rc.sysinit.bogus (but note vmlinux.px.3.1.5x file name edit)

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # bogus rc.sysinit, checks for monte
    export PATH=/sbin:/bin:/tivobin:/tvbin:.:/:/etc/rc.d
    export TERM=xterm
    export PS1='\h:\w$ '

#enable this next line if you're paranoid
    #/bin/bash</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&

#those are backticks below, not single quotes!
    bootparm=`/sbin/bootpage -p /dev/hda`

if [ "$sp" != "true" ]; then
      echo "sp=\"$sp\" must be first pass, trying to run monte"
      /sbin/insmod -f /monte/kmonte.o
      /monte/monte /monte/vmlinux.px.3.1.5x "$bootparm sp=true"
    else
      echo "sp=\"$sp\" must be second pass"
      exec /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.real
    fi
    7. cd to /mnt/etc/rc.d and make the following file changes:

cp rc.sysinit rc.sysinit.real
    mv rc.sysinit.monte rc.sysinit

8. Write new bootpage params:

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" /dev/hda

*You don't need -C on a "live" filesystem.

9. Flip the bootpage since you now want to boot from 3/4

bootpage -f /dev/hda

Check it with:

bootpage -b /dev/hda

Displays current boot partition as 3

bootpage -a /dev/hda

Displays current alternate partition as 6

This is consistent with your bootpage parameter root=/dev/hda4 for this setup.

10. Make sure all paths and file permissions are correct, then reboot.

If you get into trouble, enter the PROM menu and boot the alternate (6/7) and troubleshoot.

P.S. For the gurus, I attached my kernel log - there is a warning (line 67) in the monte load - is that a "normal" warning or something I should be concerned with? FYI - the boot completes, everything appears fine...rebooted a few times. Same bootlog, been running fine since though.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ScanMan; 09-25-2006 at 12:17 PM.

Please explain why you need to monte from a 2.4.20 kernel if you're monteing to a 2.4.20 kernel. I think you can monte from any kernel you want as long as the kmonte.o was also complied for the same kernel you're monteing from. The big problem would be on a large hard disk where the monted-to kernel was not accessible because the monted-from kernel wasn't LBA48 aware and couldn't read past 137 GB. As long as the monted-to kernel was under that ceiling, what difference would it make what the monte-from kernel was?

ew

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan
    P.S. For the gurus, I attached my kernel log - there is a warning (line 67) in the monte load - is that a "normal" warning or something I should be concerned with? FYI - the boot completes, everything appears fine...rebooted a few times. Same bootlog, been running fine since though.
    The tainted kernel warning is nothing to worry about. ocntscha reported here that you won't get that warning if you drop the -f when you insmod kmonte.o.

To answer EW's question: IMHO, if the tivo software you are running wants a 2.4.20 kernel, it's nicer if the monte-from kernel is also 2.4.20. That makes it easier to "comment out" the monte if you want to. Also, the tivo software can still run if the monte fails for some reason. I just wish the 2.4.20 kmonte.o worked reliably. I haven't tried it yet with the "new" killhdinitrd supported 2.4.20 kernel from 7.2.2-oth.K1.
    Last edited by Jamie; 03-31-2006 at 01:06 PM.

Thumbs up

Jamie, is there a custom kernel for this procedure that would work on a TCD140060 like mine. I had to do a monte from 3.1.1c to your custom kernel or a replace_initrd'd kernel to hack my Tivo a few months back. For that matter, is a monte still necessary for my hardware under 7.2.2?
    Series 2 TCD140060 w/Lifetime, 9.3.2-01-2-140, 2x 250GB Seagate 7200.8 (638hrs), Monte'd, Tivotool, MRV.
    Unhacked TivoHD 500GB (76Hrs HD/638Hrs SD)

I think this might answer your question...

best 2.4.18 lba48 kernel

Is the custom 2.4.18 kernel here, that Jamie built, still the best LBA48 kernel for 4.01b and big drives on a SA2 to monte into? I understand it has some stuff for dtivos, so thats why I'm curious. I understand it also has some network performance stuff in it too which is a plus. BTW, great work Jamie. This hobby would be nowhere without guys like you who are willing to help us noobies learn.

Edit: Found an issue with this kernel...I have to do a ppp over serial guided setup to start out, and the first call works, but the second one in the process fails. Its like the serial port is not being released or is locked, as I see no activity on the pc/serial line during the second phase of the setup. Finally found an old kernel here that seems to work. Not sure if it has problems. I guess I will run it a while and see.
    Last edited by jbch; 09-18-2006 at 12:10 AM.

I know this is an old request but does anybody have a pretty much stock 2.4.18 kernel for a 4.0.1b that has LBA48 support and works with the superpatch 4.x patches... Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jbch View Post
    I know this is an old request but does anybody have a pretty much stock 2.4.18 kernel for a 4.0.1b that has LBA48 support and works with the superpatch 4.x patches... Thanks.
    Time to do a little searching. 4.x on RID (search on it) is obsolete, but one of the threads should contain a link to the kernel you are looking for.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I just got done screwing with this all night and I realised that my welcome loop was caused by my not putting the ` (which is located next to the 1 key) instead of ' (located next to the enter key)

simple thig to over look and can cause lots of grief.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedeye View Post
    I just got done screwing with this all night and I realised that my welcome loop was caused by my not putting the ` (which is located next to the 1 key) instead of ' (located next to the enter key)

simple thig to over look and can cause lots of grief.
    Yes, those backticks will get you every time I just added a comment to the original post...
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

In step 5 of OP how do I get my ftp (filezilla) to log into the alt filesystem to upload the necessary files. Whenever I run Filezilla, it only logs into the active filesystem (in my case, /dev/hda4)
    I had a handle on life, then it broke

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff View Post
    In step 5 of OP how do I get my ftp (filezilla) to log into the alt filesystem to upload the necessary files. Whenever I run Filezilla, it only logs into the active filesystem (in my case, /dev/hda4)
    Well, once you have "alt" filesystem mounted (i.e., mount /dev/hda7 /mnt) then just navigate to /mnt/monte (or whatever) from your ftp client to deposit the files.

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    Well, once you have "alt" filesystem mounted (i.e., mount /dev/hda7 /mnt) then just navigate to /mnt/monte (or whatever) from your ftp client to deposit the files.
    so once I've 'mount /dev/hda7/mnt' and 'mkdir /mnt/monte' in Tera Term, anytime I transfer files with Filezilla to /mnt/monte, it is on /dev/hda7? It's a wonder I haven't blown anything up yet!

EDIT: so I finished all the steps and have attached a log where it hung..... what did I do wrong?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Spaceman_Spiff; 01-17-2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Just thought I'd save space

where I'm at currently

I managed to boot 3/4 from Prom menu (highly recommended hack for anyone). I mounted /dev/hda7 and looked into the mnt/etc/rc.d/. According to my log posted above, "/bin/bash: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: No such file or directory" was where it hung, but looking in that directory rc.sysinit, rc.sysinit.real and rc.sysinit.author are all there. I don't know what to do now. Any help is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff View Post
    I managed to boot 3/4 from Prom menu (highly recommended hack for anyone). I mounted /dev/hda7 and looked into the mnt/etc/rc.d/. According to my log posted above, "/bin/bash: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: No such file or directory" was where it hung, but looking in that directory rc.sysinit, rc.sysinit.real and rc.sysinit.author are all there. I don't know what to do now. Any help is appreciated
    Check the obvious; make sure file permissions are correct (chmod 755), you've edited using a unix-aware editor, your ftp client didn't upload in ascii...