Thread: Monte Questions

Monte Questions

Model: Standalone Series 2, 140
    Killhdinit: 7.2.2-oth-K1
    TiVo Release: 9.3.2a-01-2-140

The above setup is working fine, except I want to monte to a stock kernel to avoid the issues I'm seeing with my TiVo brand network adapter. I've been doing a lot of searching and reading here, and elsewhere, but I have some questions.

1.) I need a stock kernel. If I had a spare drive, I could set up this drive, unhacked. Allow the TiVo to update the software to 9.3.2a (2 updates). Would I be able to grab the kernel by pulling the drive and dd'ing it off the current boot partition (i.e. dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/mnt/var/vmlinux.px)? Do I need to even allow TiVo to download the updates?

2.) There is no need to neuter the second kernel? This is all set once the first kernel is set up? Correct?

3.) I read that there were some issues with the 2.4.20 kmonte.o builds. Does that still hold true? Do I need to worry about this with my setup here?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pmoore View Post
    1.) I need a stock kernel. If I had a spare drive, I could set up this drive, unhacked. Allow the TiVo to update the software to 9.3.2a (2 updates). Would I be able to grab the kernel by pulling the drive and dd'ing it off the current boot partition (i.e. dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/mnt/var/vmlinux.px)? Do I need to even allow TiVo to download the updates?
    there's a copy of a virgin kernel in mfs. look under /SwModule for the GZkernel-Series2 object. it's a gzip'd cpio archive of a stock kernel.
    2.) There is no need to neuter the second kernel? This is all set once the first kernel is set up? Correct?
    you'll still need to fix the kernel. use replace_initrd.
    3.) I read that there were some issues with the 2.4.20 kmonte.o builds. Does that still hold true? Do I need to worry about this with my setup here?
    jamie stated he had issues when monte'ing from a 2.4.20 kernel. I never had any issue with it, if you're worried just boot a 3.1.1c kernel and use the 2.4.4 kmonte.o.

Thanks. Ok, I pulled the trigger. Worked very well. Had a couple reboots when I plugged the wireless network adapter back in. I realized that I had to remove the 7.2.2 network drivers with the originals, and all is well so far. I'll test with a couple guide calls and reboots.

Question... I will have to replicate the monte setup (the monte directory, rc.sysinit.real, rc.sysinit) to the other partition the next time there is a TiVo update, correct? Before I load the new slice/image and flip partitions? Must this be done each time I get an update, or only once?

Quote Originally Posted by pmoore View Post
    Question... I will have to replicate the monte setup (the monte directory, rc.sysinit.real, rc.sysinit) to the other partition the next time there is a TiVo update, correct? Before I load the new slice/image and flip partitions? Must this be done each time I get an update, or only once?
    you'll have to rehack for every upgrade. run installSw.itcl to install the new sw on the alternate partitions, copy over your monte files/kernel/hacks/etc, replace_initrd the new kernel and reboot.

So, a new update will basically wipe everything in the alternate partition?

when your box receives software slices, it loads them into mfs. these are the objects in /SwModule, that contain the new kernel, and root fs, plus everything else. when installSw.itcl runs, it uses mke2fs to reformat the alternate root partition, and then unpacks the slices onto it.

so yeah, everything is wiped out, and then rebuilt from scratch. nothing on your current root is touched. just copy over the important stuff before your box boots into the new sw.

Gotcha.

Ok, still having reboot issues, definitely related to the network adapter. If I have the adapter plugged in at boot time, it goes into a reboot loop - console shows this occurring as the adapter fires up. If I plug in the adapter after the TiVo is up, it's ok until I have it phone home over the network. Is there a way to rip the stock drivers from the slices? I'm thinking that the ones I have are not the correct ones (usbcore, usb-cdc, usb-ohci and ehci-hcd)...

If I were to hazard a guess, it would involve mfs_dumpobj and mfs_uberexport again? So I see four modules:

GZkernel-Series2 (which I now know is the kernel)
    GZcore
    GZhpk-Series2
    utils

Guessing the drivers are in GZcore...

Hmmm, interesting... GZcore has usb-cdc, but the other three are symbolic links (to ../../platform/lib/modules).

I should add that nothing extracts to the ../../platform/lib/modules directory.

GZcore and GZhpk-* make up the root filesystem. platform specific files (/platform) are in GZhpk-* . Everything else is in GZcore.