Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monte from killhdinitrd 3.1.5 to S2_Unscramble

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    you've edited using a unix-aware editor
    I use Context for editing and have never had a problem before. The website does not specifically mention " unix aware". Does anyone have any recommendations for good unix aware editor
    I had a handle on life, then it broke

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff View Post
    I use Context for editing and have never had a problem before. The website does not specifically mention " unix aware". Does anyone have any recommendations for good unix aware editor
    The Context editor looks fine. This feature
    conversion DOS->UNIX->Macintosh file formats
    is relevant. Make sure you are saving or convert to UNIX file format. You could also run the 'dos2unix' utility on the file. Make sure your FTP client is uploading as binary not ascii. Post a listing of your /mnt/etc/rc.d directory showing file permissions.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

I started over from scratch with a virgin copy of my 250G Tivo HD. I did steps 1,2, and 3 from OP copying my kernel/file system from 3/4 to 6/7. Then I thought I should make sure that at least the Tivo will boot and that I don't already have a problem. I flipped my bootpage as per step 9. The Tivo boots fine but randomly reboots. I've attached a log and can see where it fails, but don't understand why.

A little further but still stuck

I converted the rc.sysinit.monte from DOS to Unix and followed the instructions as per OP. Now it is stuck in a loop and gets nowhere. Can someone look at the log and tell me what I did wrong again?

EDIT:when I try to boot 3/4 from PROM, I get a message "diskboot failed to verify written boot sector".
    Last edited by Spaceman_Spiff; 01-26-2009 at 10:18 PM.

I converted the rc.sysinit.monte from DOS to Unix and followed the instructions as per OP. Now it is stuck in a loop and gets nowhere. Can someone look at the log and tell me what I did wrong again?

EDIT:when I try to boot 3/4 from PROM, I get a message "diskboot failed to verify written boot sector".
    It appears your rc.sysinit is never jumping to the second pass. I'd check rc.sysinit.bogus

It's been a LONG time since I used Monte.
    For my last attempt I used Nutkase's In-line Monte. It seemed to be easier to comprehend that the dual partition setup.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 01-26-2009 at 11:43 PM.
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Thanks PB, I'll take a look tonight when I get back from work ( I owe, I owe, it's off to work I.....). I'm really just trying to get my encrypted recordings off by following The Unscramble instructions. And I need the kernel inplace first. Anything that can get me to get the recordings off is appreciated.
    Last edited by Spaceman_Spiff; 01-27-2009 at 09:03 PM.

After the umpteenth time trying to get this to work and failing, I restored my original copy and started Tivo one last time for tonight. I had my Tera Term window open and logger working when I looked up and noticed these lines go by:

starting test.conf
    starting /init/001_bash.init
    starting /init/010_lba48.init
    bash: no job control in this shell
    EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
    bash-2.02# monte: Two-kernel Monte for MIPS (Version 0.1)
    monte: MuscleNerd (MIPS version), Erik Arjan Hendriks (x86 version)
    monte: loaded kernel image (target load_addr=0x80002000, len=0x12d5b0) at 0x83eab000
    monte: total pages used: 303 for image, 2 for indirect tables, 1 for reload code
    Loading R5432 MMU routines.
    CPU revision is: 00005430
    Primary instruction cache 32kb, linesize 32 bytes.
    Primary data cache 32kb, linesize 32 bytes.
    Linux version 2.4.4-TiVo-3.0 (root@localhost) (gcc version 3.0) #2 Mon Nov 1 08:16:22 CST 2004

Now, this is from the log of my Tivo BEFORE I've tried to Monte. Does this mean that my Tivo is already loading Monte? Would that explain why I can't seem to 'monte' this drive?

Could be.

I'll be honest with you. It's been a LONG time since I set up monte. The process is challenging, but many people brighter than I have done it.

The first step: From a bash prompt type in bootpage -p /dev/hda. Post the result. Maybe the brain cells will recharge enough that I can offer some further assistance.

And if you want to be VERY helpful, refresh my memory. What model of TiVo / DirecTiVo do you have, and what software version are you running?

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

My purpose for Monte'ing is to Unscramble a friends recordings. Once I've unscrambled his recordings, I'll be installing 6.2

I only ask cuz a friend asked me to look into his Samsung SIR4080. His recording are scrambled and he wants me to unscramble them. He has software 3.1.1e-01-2-151 with a 2.4.4-TiVo-3.0 kernel. I followed your instructions for Monte using the appropriate kmonte.o but it failed......
    This is what I'm trying to accomplish. My boot pair is 3/4 with nothing in 6/7. If I follow the instructions in the OP I can successfully dd 3/4 to 6/7 and flip the bootpage. The weird thing is when I do flip it, and try to run the original 3/4 from PROM I get this message: "diskboot failed to verify written boot sector". So I gave up on the dd'ing for backup. I have a truncated image copy on a USB key and I simply start from scratch whenever the Monte fails. The Monte has never worked. The closest I've gotten was the last posted log, which I believe you've already looked at. I don't know linux much but I know I'm close to getting this to work. If I had to guess, it looks like the OS onboard is monte'ing already. Maybe I can just dd the unscramble kernel into place?

I have a Samsung 4080Tivo myself. I've upgraded to a 400G, installed 6.2, MFS_FTP, TWP 2.1, folders.tcl and a few other hacks all by reading through these forums. I do have a few Watts of lightbulb power but not enough to solve this on my own. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the summary. The source of my confusion was the thread is for 3.1.5 (2.4.20 kernel), you are dealing with 3.1.1 (2.4.4 kernel). For practical purposes this shouldn't matter. One significant detail is different - a different version of kmonte.o is required.

I feel the first step is to determine exactly how the system came to be monted. About 5 years ago TiVoscripts (AKA Sleeper's iso) was a popular way to hack a system.

From a practical point of view, if we can determine how the system was monted you will be able to insert the unscramble kernel easily. To that end, the results of bootpage -p /dev/hda will be vital.

A couple of additional points. As I understand it, the unscramble kernel captures the key necessary to unscramble a recording. It does not actually unscramble it. It is used in conjunction with extraction.

The next point - it is not necessary to unscramble the recordings before upgrading to 6.2.

Lastly, I am intrigued by your problems dd-ing the partitions over. That MIGHT be significant.

Most important step - let's see what bootpage -p shows.

PlainBill

What may have happened is that when you flipped the bootpage you didn't write new bootpage parameters. So you may be booting from partition 6 but into the root filesystem at the 4th partition which is still trying to load the monte. In addition to the output of 'bootpage' also 'ls -l' your /monte and /etc/rc.d directories.

Firstly, I appologize for possibly being in the wrong thread. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly that because I was trying to monte with the OP steps, that I could discuss it here even though I have a 3.1.1. (2.4.4 kernel.)

Here is what I've done. I made a truncated copy of the Tivo hard drive that is in the machine. It is a Maxtor 250G. I used MFSLive disk to boot a PC with linux and the Maxtor drive mounted as HDA. I mounted a 4GB USB key with "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /dos". Then to backup the Maxtor drive to the USB key I used the command:
    "backup -f 9999 -6so /dos/mybackup.bak /dev/hda"

With that successfully copied, I then mounted a new drive (seagate 400G), and restored the file with "restore -s 128 -r 4 -xzpi /dos/mybackup.bak /dev/hda" to the Seagate drive. When I put the newly copied Seagate drive in the Tivo and boot, Tivo boots fine. I attached the log as VirginBootLog. From that boot, as seen in the log bootpage -p /dev/hda returns root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false
    Also, bootpage -b /dev/hda returns "3" and, as expected bootpage -a /dev/hda returns "6"

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    One significant detail is different - a different version of kmonte.o is required.
    I am aware of this and have made sure that I have the right kmonte.o version

I feel the first step is to determine exactly how the system came to be monted. About 5 years ago TiVoscripts (AKA Sleeper's iso) was a popular way to hack a system.
    I can't say with 100% certainty as I was not the original 'modifier' of his machine but if I had to guess I would say that Extreme 2.5 with update to 3.1.1 was used. I have sent him an email asking but he's away for 3 weeks.

A couple of additional points. As I understand it, the unscramble kernel captures the key necessary to unscramble a recording. It does not actually unscramble it. It is used in conjunction with extraction.
    I will be using THIS process with MFS_FTP to transfer the files once the keys are being captured.

The next point - it is not necessary to unscramble the recordings before upgrading to 6.2.
    I am assuming you are reffering to slices. I have read (not enough however) about them and they scare me. I haven't found enough information or instructions to push me over the edge from 'scared' to confident to try.

Lastly, I am intrigued by your problems dd-ing the partitions over. That MIGHT be significant.
    Trying to be brief, here is what I CAN do. I can dd the original 3/4 to 6/7, re-write boot params with bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" /dev/hda, flip the bootpage with bootpage -f /dev/hda and it will boot fine. I can reverse it and it will also boot fine. But as soon as I try to boot from PROM, it loses the alternate pair and I get the error message quoted in post #19 I don't understand upgrading with slices completely but I fear that there is something very wrong with the 3.1.1e and I don't want to propagate it to the new software. I'd rather start with a known, clean and stable 6.2. Perhaps, in ignorance, that is misplaced.

I really am trying to learn how to fish, and it's with the help of the 2000+ post'ers such as yourself that the rest of us get to 'eat'. A humble and greatful 'thanks' goes out to all of 'you'

EDIT: forgot to attach the log.....
    Last edited by Spaceman_Spiff; 01-28-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: cuz I'm a doofus

As you suspected, the tivo is already monteing as you can see here:
    monte: Two-kernel Monte for MIPS (Version 0.1)
    monte: MuscleNerd (MIPS version), Erik Arjan Hendriks (x86 version)
    monte: loaded kernel image (target load_addr=0x80002000, len=0x12d5b0) at 0x83eab000
    monte: total pages used: 303 for image, 2 for indirect tables, 1 for reload code
    You can also see the additional bootparameters that were added by the monte. By the looks of that, it appears one of the primary reasons for the monte was to enable lba48 disk addressing on older tivo software:
    Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false dsscon=true con
    sole=2,9600 upgradesoftware=false lba48=true
    So in short the monte process I outlined here won't work for you. However, with some tweaking, you may be able to load an unscramble kernel instead of the current monte-to kernel. Perhaps PlainBill can offer some suggestions on how to de-Xtreme this.

Lastly, are you sure the recordings are still scrambled? It seems odd you have a hacked/monted/xtremed tivo and encryption wasn't disabled as part of that hacking process???

OK, I see lots of things to discuss. First of all, I don't have any problem with the choice of thread EXCEPT it confused me (not that it takes much). Next, unless somebody slipped something by me (NOT unheard of), you never used Xtreme on this system. As far as I know, Xtreme was strictly for Series 1 systems. As far as the problem booting from the prom menu, the problem seems familiar. Investigation will have to wait until I dig out my serial cable, and there are many more important things I have to do.

ScanMan likely hit the reason for the original monte on the head - LBA-48 addressing. Does anyone know if the unscramble kernel supports lba-48 addressing? If it does, you are home free. Simply replace the existing vmlinux.px file with the unscramble one.

Upgrading via slices is rather easy. As with any process, it is a good idea to work with a spare drive the first time. The steps are well documented; as a matter of fact I was personally involved (with a LOT of help from AlphaWolf).

Frankly, unless you are going to extract recordings, I would not bother with the unscramble kernel. I would do a straight upgrade from 3.1.1x to 6.2 (or 6.2a). I can attest to the fact that it works. The DirecTiVo in my 'office' was running 3.1.1e with an LBA-48 aware kernel and a 200 Gig hard drive when I used slices to upgrade it to 6.2.

These three threads will give you all the information you need.

This thread has the discussions on how we learned to do it.
    This thread has a summary of the process.
    And this thread has a walk-through.

PlainBill

Does anyone know if the unscramble kernel supports lba-48 addressing?
    Both kernels included in the unscramble tar provide LBA48 support. From the readme:
    Note well that, though a 3.1.1x kernel with LBA48 support is provided, it has NOT been tested! Only the 3.1.5x kernel has been tested.
    I used the 3.1.5x kernel on a DSR708 with a 160GB drive using Nutkase's In-line monte method with great success. Hope this helps.