Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: using VDub-MPEG2, audio out of sync.

I myself don't use Vdub-MPEG. You might try using an avisynth script with plain ol' Vdub. You can use DGIndex to create a D2V project file, then use MPEG2Source() in your avisynth script...
    Cheer mentioned this earlier and I completely forgot about it.
    VirtualDub-MPEG2 has a very simple MPEG2 decoder which hasn't been updated in a loooooooong time.

Even if you patch audio holes, TyTool's muxer does some other stuff to make them work properly.

Use DGIndex to demux and patch/sync the audio or decode via AviSynth using DGDecode.
    I ran DGIndex and got a d2v and mpa files.

To create a avisynth script I do the following, but how do I add the mpa audio file to it??? Do I do it later with VdubMod or in the script?

Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\dgdecode.dll")
    mpeg2source("C:\somefile.d2v")
    Thanks.
    S3 / TCD648250b - Socketed
    Audio out of sync

Read the documentation that's part of AviSynth.

I'd load the script into VirtualDub to test it and frameserve if I were you but I don't do this kind of thing. I keep as MPEG2 interlaced.
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\pathto\dgdecode.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\pathto\mpasource.dll")

V = mpeg2source("C:\pathto\fileName.d2v")
    A = MPASource("C:\pathto\fileName T01 DELAY 80ms.mpa", normalize = false)
    AudioDub(V, A)
    That seems to load the mpa audio file. I open it with vdub 1.6.12, chose to compress video with divx. Leave the audio file as is. And I still get the same problem. The beginning of the avi is fine but the further you go its out of sync.
    Audio out of sync

If it works properly in VirtualDub's preview, your solution is to use CBR audio or a proper player. Most people who encode to MPEG4 screw up the audio by using VBR and lousy muxing or a poor player.
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

Preview shows the audio of out sync with video.
    Audio out of sync

Let's back up. Why are you encoding to MPEG4 and what is the source material?

Fred,

Source is being mpeg or ty file off my TCD540 tivo.

Why to MPEG4, I don't know, its just a common format that I thought I'd convert it to and if I need to save a movie clip, game or a sitcom I can do that, and save space.

I noticed that you mentioned that you leave your videos "as MPEG2 interlaced."
    I'm interested in that, and mainly in how do you get rid of the nasty 'sawtooth' effect.
    Audio out of sync

That's what I thought. The vast majority of people who mess around with MPEG4 fall into 2 categories: those who understand video and those who don't. Reading a few articles at places like doom9 or videohelp and applying them to everything is a great way to make a mess.

Storage media is cheap. Do the math. A blank DVDR is about $0.40. What's your time worth? It's quicker and cheap to burn 2 copies if you want to take something on a trip. Who cares if the copy gets destroyed? Think how long it takes to burn a DVDR. At $0.40, the value of your time used in the burning process far exceeds the cost of the media. Imagine what it actually costs if you are re-encoding!

Having said that, I do know people who collect old films, things which aren't commercially available. They do a lot of processing, adjustment of audio delay, noise reduction, etc. but that's different. They're serious hobbyists and collectors who are restoring old film. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. Video processing is a great hobby. My comments are about the practice of making MPEG4 "because I can."

"Sawtooth" comes from playing interlaced source as if it were progressive. It's not. It's 2 interleaved sets of images which yield twice the video frame rate. Deinterlacing cuts the effective frame rate in half and smashing things together to make a lot of distortion. If you do this to the source, it can't be "undone."

Use a hardware DVD player or a software player that will deinterlace on the fly. This keeps the source original and will reduce the annoyance if you are watching on a computer monitor. Media Player Classic, VLC, PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc. will all play MPEG2 and can deinterlace during playback if you want. ffdshow can be used to reduce blocky artifacts, etc. You could also play at twice the video frame rate using a proper bobbing to get very smooth video.
    Last edited by FredThompson; 05-22-2006 at 04:46 AM.

You're right that this IS a hobby and more than anything 'why I'm doing it' is just because I want to learn how.

You make a good point about leaving the source as mpeg2, and I will do that when I just want to save a movie/game. But when I want to make compilations of different vids, I would like to convert to divx or xvid, something simple that other 'video challenged' friends of mine could look at my work without having to find mpeg2 codecs and such.

I've been aware of doom9 for a few years, I found a few articles that talk about syncing audio manualy, but the reason I didn't follow them and asked here is because I thought that my problem was unique to tivo users. In all of the 'how tos' I've seen, the audio is off by the same amount of time, through out the whole vid. In my videos the audio starts out in-sync and gets worse and worse, little by little.

Maybe its my tivo, or my pc cpu timing or probably I'm one of those who doesn't understand video.

Anyways, I thank you for your time and thought.
    Last edited by Offspring2099; 05-22-2006 at 05:32 PM.
    Audio out of sync

MPEG4 is a big buzzword lately, but the biggest problem I have with it is that it defines more of a 'wrapper' implementation than MPEG2 which clearly defined video and audio streams.

By wrapper I mean like QuickTime, where the content and required decompressors are listed inside the media file, but are otherwise only a loosely associated group -- I think they call them 'profiles'. For example, the recent H.264 AVC codec can be defined within an MPEG4 file, but doesn't work with a bunch of software.

Unlike MPEG2 which is fairy concretely defined, MPEG4 is open to suffer from featuritis (or perhaps codec-itis) like its QuickTime and AVI counterparts. You never know if a receipient has the capability to actually view the file. (MPEG4 also tends to be very CPU-heavy.)

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321
    MPEG4 is a big buzzword lately, but the biggest problem I have with it is that it defines more of a 'wrapper' implementation than MPEG2 which clearly defined video and audio streams.

By wrapper I mean like QuickTime, where the content and required decompressors are listed inside the media file, but are otherwise only a loosely associated group -- I think they call them 'profiles'. For example, the recent H.264 AVC codec can be defined within an MPEG4 file, but doesn't work with a bunch of software.

Unlike MPEG2 which is fairy concretely defined, MPEG4 is open to suffer from featuritis (or perhaps codec-itis) like its QuickTime and AVI counterparts. You never know if a receipient has the capability to actually view the file. (MPEG4 also tends to be very CPU-heavy.)
    Point taken.
    Audio out of sync

I know I came down a little hard. Wasn't trying to dampen enthusiasm.

The intense video nuts I know have all gone back to MPEG2 because it's solid. MPEG4 is still "set in Jell-O" and the hassles get in the way.

Believe me, I'm interested in the potential for 1/2 the storage space compared with MPEG2 but only if it's a raw capture. MPEG4 to play on a cell phone isn't interesting to me.

FWIW, I use a PC for playback so there aren't any format problems. A proper TV-out card works wonders. Those MPEG4 DVD players can't come close to SPP deblocking and other niceties of ffdshow.

Na dont worry about it, you make a good point. I'll stick with mpeg2, but will still research the wonders of mpeg4.

What I noticed over the weekend is that even when I run an already compressed divx file through VDub, for example if I want to extract a clip, then the audio also gets out of sync. So may be its just my setup.

Also you being an mpeg2 adovicate , what do you use to remove the terrible high pitched sound that sometimes comes with the mpeg2 from tivo? It's not terrible, but just annoying. Thanks for all the help.
    Audio out of sync

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring2099
    Also you being an mpeg2 adovicate , what do you use to remove the terrible high pitched sound that sometimes comes with the mpeg2 from tivo? It's not terrible, but just annoying. Thanks for all the help.
    I can honestly say that in the thousands of videos I have extracted I have never heard this...
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

hmmm, wierd, I'll cut a small piece of the video and post it somewhere, when I get home.
    Audio out of sync