Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: using VDub-MPEG2, audio out of sync.

I've never had a squeal, either. Maybe you have a grounding problem with the audio feeds?
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

most likely not the stream

I tore my hair out over this very same issue several years ago and while I still haven't found a perfectly suitable solution I can usually work around it.

I'm willing to bet it's basically an issue with your directshow MPEG2 splitter (or possibly decoder) that's installed on your PC, namely the "default" one. It's been a long time since I had this problem, but I'm fairly certain the problematic one is a LIGOS splitter (or decoder) but I'd have to look back and figure out how I discovered this in the past. In my case, my PC had several demuxers but the default one was the one that caused all the sync issues. If i could get my encoder/transcoder app to pin itself to one of the non default demuxers, the synch was PERFECT. I tried a lot of things trying to reset my default demuxer to one that worked properly (including removing the offending Ligos decoder or splitter) but the only thing that I could get to work semi consistently was to load an MPEG2 video in windows media player and just leave it stopped in the background. Then I could open Virtualdub or Windows Media encoder and they would recognize that the default demuxer was already in use by another app, so windows media encoder (or virtualdub) would seemingly select one of the other demuxers in the system and everything would be peachy and my audio would remain in perfect synch. i finally figured this out by using some media player (maybe zoomplayer?) that showed me which directshow filters were being used during playback and i finally figured out that the ligos(?) one sucked.

Anyhow, sorry I can't remember all the details but hopefully this is the problem you're facing and you can track down which mpeg splitter (or audio decoder) is the source of your problems.

The GSpot beta is probably the most helpful way to sec codec precedence: http://gspot.headbands.com/

Ligos is a pain, so are Sony/Sound Forge installers which make the ULead splitter the default, killing proper functioning of VFW (VirtualDub, M$ Office, etc.)
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

Quote Originally Posted by eff20see
    I tore my hair out over this very same issue several years ago and while I still haven't found a perfectly suitable solution I can usually work around it.

I'm willing to bet it's basically an issue with your directshow MPEG2 splitter (or possibly decoder) that's installed on your PC, namely the "default" one. It's been a long time since I had this problem, but I'm fairly certain the problematic one is a LIGOS splitter (or decoder) but I'd have to look back and figure out how I discovered this in the past. In my case, my PC had several demuxers but the default one was the one that caused all the sync issues. If i could get my encoder/transcoder app to pin itself to one of the non default demuxers, the synch was PERFECT. I tried a lot of things trying to reset my default demuxer to one that worked properly (including removing the offending Ligos decoder or splitter) but the only thing that I could get to work semi consistently was to load an MPEG2 video in windows media player and just leave it stopped in the background. Then I could open Virtualdub or Windows Media encoder and they would recognize that the default demuxer was already in use by another app, so windows media encoder (or virtualdub) would seemingly select one of the other demuxers in the system and everything would be peachy and my audio would remain in perfect synch. i finally figured this out by using some media player (maybe zoomplayer?) that showed me which directshow filters were being used during playback and i finally figured out that the ligos(?) one sucked.

Anyhow, sorry I can't remember all the details but hopefully this is the problem you're facing and you can track down which mpeg splitter (or audio decoder) is the source of your problems.
    Thank you for the info, so I'm not the only one. I will try playing with it some more since you shined some light on this.

About that sound issue, I cut out a small clip and up'ed it to video.google, but I think they reencoded it or something, because the background noice is gone when I play it from google. So I'll just rar it or zip it up and post it on putfile.com or something.
    S3 / TCD648250b - Socketed
    Audio out of sync

With GSpot in 'test' section, I see that the video is opened with elecard's demuxer and the video and audio are insync there.

So I assume Elecards MPEG2 Demuxer is the good one.

Now how do I change that to by my default demuxer.

I downloaded DirectShow Filter Manager, and see that there IS another MPEG2 Demuxer present, so I set that one to 'do not use', and Elecard's Demuxer to 'prefered'. Should this solve the problem, if this was the problem? If not how do I make a specific demuxer be a default for Vdub?
    Last edited by Offspring2099; 06-02-2006 at 01:03 AM.
    Audio out of sync

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring2099
    With GSpot in 'test' section, I see that the video is opened with elecard's demuxer and the video and audio are insync there.

So I assume Elecards MPEG2 Demuxer is the good one.

Now how do I change that to by my default demuxer.

I downloaded DirectShow Filter Manager, and see that there IS another MPEG2 Demuxer present, so I set that one to 'do not use', and Elecard's Demuxer to 'prefered'. Should this solve the problem, if this was the problem? If not how do I make a specific demuxer be a default for Vdub?
    It should solve the problem, but I can't guarantee that it will solve it. It's worth a shot though, at least, eh? If not perhaps you could try switching the actual decoders as well (try audio first then video).

I'm still playing with the concept that eff20see mentioned.

I was also PMed about a program from this website http://www.videoredo.com/.

I just take my mpeg2 and run it through videoredo and it syncs up the audio. I can see that the files gets little bigger. I'm guessing that the filling of the holes or whatnot. Anyways, that works for me, the downside is that VideoRedo is $50.
    Audio out of sync

I'm slightly confused, are you having troubles with audio sync in MPEG2 files created by TyTool as well? I thought you were only having sync problems when trying to convert MPEG2 to Divx/AVI. Does the VideoRedo(ne) MPEG2 convert successfully to Divx/AVI with no sync problems?

I've heard of VideoRedo, never used it, but for $50 I'll just keep archiving to DVD given the cost of blank media these days...
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

I only have problems when converting mpeg2 to divx. When I play mpeg2 it runs fine. So when I try to convert with vdub-mpeg2 or regular vdub using 'DGIndex/avisynth script' method, my audio gets out of sync gradualy.

Does the VideoRedo(ne) MPEG2 convert successfully to Divx/AVI with no sync problems?
    I just ran mpeg2 through VideoRedo to fix the audio sync. After running it through VideoRedo, I can load the mpeg2 into any vdub and it works great.
    Last edited by Offspring2099; 06-07-2006 at 05:09 PM.
    Audio out of sync