Thread: upgraded 120gb to 250gb mfsbackup issue

upgraded 120gb to 250gb mfsbackup issue

I finally got everything I needed and decided to "GO". I booted from the LBA48 Boot CD and all worked. I saw the full size of both my original (120gb- replaced last year from PTVUpgrade), and my new 250GB QuickView. I have HDVR2.
    I then typed:
    mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore - s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdb
    as recommended in the Hinsdale guide. (I wanted to keep all my recordings, etc.)
    It responded:
    Source drive size is 39 hours
    -Upgraded to 126 hours
    Uncompressed backup size: 113368 megabytes
    Restore Failed: Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself.

Obviously the new drive IS big enough. Upon searching here, I found someone with a similar error, but no solution. I did find that I could use the other Hinsdale option and did the following:
    dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=1024k
    This was successful in copying 114498+1 records in and out after a few (3?) hours.

Then I went to expand the drive using:
    mfsadd -x /dev/hdb
    and was told:
    Current estimated standalone size: 126 hours Nothing to add!

So I ask,
    What should I do at this point to take advantage of my 250GB, or am I in good shape? I don't know if i should proceed with adding tivotools and hacking my system as planned, or if I need to go back and try something else. Any help would be appreciated immensely!
    Last edited by cubgyver; 04-25-2006 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubgyver
    What should I do at this point to take advantage of my 250GB, or am I in good shape? I don't know if i should proceed with adding tivotools and hacking my system as planned, or if I need to go back and try something else. Any help would be appreciated immensely!
    You've run into the limit on the number of partitions. You can preserve recordings while exanding only once using standard mfstools commands. Your choices are to drop your recordings, or do some serious partition hacking.