Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying make VLC/MPlayer to work in LINUX (Ubuntu)

Trying to make VLC & MPlayer to work in LINUX (Ubuntu)

Jamie got me into LINUX and I installed Ubuntu lastest version. I love Ubuntu.... Hell with Windows XP shit..

I got a question for you. I installed MPlayer and I can play .ty file certain time where the file size is less 400 MB or less but when I try to play .ty above 400 MB to 3 GB it doesn't work I get just scrathy sound.. Why this is happening to me? Maybe, I've to install right demux or something else.

I installed r45 demux for VLC .8.4.... Most likely, I've to complile source...
    Last edited by SoHoTrader; 06-14-2006 at 11:26 AM.
    Over & Out,

SoHoTrader

Quote Originally Posted by SoHoTrader
    Jamie got me into LINUX
    He has that effect on people. At least, he did on me.
    and I installed Ubuntu lastest version. I love Ubuntu.
    Me too. I found it a great distro to start with because:
    • It's very up-to-date
    • The package management is fabulous (as a guy coming to Linux from Windows, package management IMO is (or can be) the single biggest headache...gotta love apt-get)
    • It doesn't try to be Windows (as opposed to, say, Linspire) -- that's a plus because none of them can truly be Windows, but when they try real hard they just aggravate me because I start unconsciously making Windows-ish assumptions

Ok. Enough off-topic.
    I got a question for you. I installed MPlayer and I can play .ty file certain time where the file size is less 400 MB or less but when I try to play .ty above 400 MB to 3 GB it doesn't work I get just scrathy sound.. Why this is happening to me? Maybe, I've to install right demux or something else.

I installed r45 demux for VLC .8.4.... Most likely, I've to complile source...
    To be honest, I've never tried to play .ty files directly...I've always turned 'em into MPG files first. You might try playing with hdemux and mplex.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Follow-up question.

Quote Originally Posted by cheer
    He has that effect on people. At least, he did on me.

To be honest, I've never tried to play .ty files directly...I've always turned 'em into MPG files first. You might try playing with hdemux and mplex.
    Stupid question but I need to ask. Did you convert the show .ty file to mpg file on LINUX box? Assuming mplex is the right tool to use...
    Over & Out,

SoHoTrader

Yes -- you can compile hdemux on Linux pretty easily, and mplex is commonly available.

Also, TyTool runs under WINE -- or it did the last time I tried it anyway.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

It doesn't surprise me too much that the stock vlc on any linux distribution doesn't correctly handle ty files. I took a quick look on a ubuntu box, and it appeared to work for tmf files, but I saw the same thing you did on tys.

You might look here and here for further tivo-enabled vlc support.

Anther option is mplayer. The ubuntu version seems to have ty support, and it seems to work, although I didn't try much beyond opening a file or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    Anther option is mplayer. The ubuntu version seems to have ty support, and it seems to work, although I didn't try much beyond opening a file or two.
    It does work, but I have more reliable results if I hdemux/mplex first, esp. with HD OTA streams.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    If I install default MPlayer, the ty file can't be played so I think, something is missing. The strange thing is that if record a show for 4 mintues on tivo and tranfer the file to Ubuntu box via mfs_ftp and I can play with MPlayer & VLC. Now, that's big puzzle...

I wonder ->
    Over & Out,

SoHoTrader

Quote Originally Posted by SoHoTrader
    If I install default MPlayer, the ty file can't be played so I think, something is missing. The strange thing is that if record a show for 4 mintues on tivo and tranfer the file to Ubuntu box via mfs_ftp and I can play with MPlayer & VLC. Now, that's big puzzle...
    Well I am no expert on the structure of the .ty file, but here's my uneducated guess:
    • Tivos actually store videos in chunks (you can see this if you download a .tmf file and un-tar it)
    • A .ty file is essentially a MPG file but with extra "stuff" for trickplay
    • It therefore stands to reason that that "stuff" may (at least in part) sit at the chunk boundaries
    • When you play your short files you may not be hitting a chunk boundary

Purely guesswork on my part. Someone a lot smarter (Riley, Josh, AlphaWolf, Jamie, etc.) may pop in and trash my guess.

In any case...if your computer has a decent amount of processing power, running hdemux and then mplex is a pretty fast operation.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

Your comments make sense to me... Thanks man....
    Last edited by SoHoTrader; 06-14-2006 at 08:12 PM.
    Over & Out,

SoHoTrader

Linux newbie needs help!

I finally completed the switch from XP to Ubuntu Dapper after a couple of years of using both. I was using TyTools10r4 with XP, so I gave them a go under Wine. Everything works except the tystream extraction from the TiVo.

So - is anybody using TyTools10r4/Wine to do their extraction? If so how?

Otherwise - how are you doing your extraction?

Thanks!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by 3ra28145
    Everything works except the tystream extraction from the TiVo.

So - is anybody using TyTools10r4/Wine to do their extraction? If so how?

I use mfs_ftp for extraction when on Linux.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

Quote Originally Posted by 3ra28145
    On linux I use vserver, mfs_streams and mfs_uberexport. Found the mfs_ftp makes the tivo too unstable while vserver dosn't cause any problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by skyboysea
    Found the mfs_ftp makes the tivo too unstable
    Really? What model Tivo/sw version? I can honestly say I've got mfs_ftp running on five boxes without issue...
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

Quote Originally Posted by cheer
    Really? What model Tivo/sw version? I can honestly say I've got mfs_ftp running on five boxes without issue...
    I was running mfs_ftp on two DTivo with 6.2. Every couple of days the tivos were rebooting while downloading shows. I was seening some random reboots when mfs_ftp was left running but not used. Since I have removed mfs_ftp and used vserver on Jamie's suggestion (thanks!!!) I have not seen a single reboot.
    I wasn't able to figure out what the problem with mfs_ftp was but, at the end, I find vserver to be a better solution for my needs anyway.