Thread: Slow now playing list on 6.2 HDVR2.. after new router purchase

Slow now playing list on 6.2 HDVR2.. after new router purchase

I have 3 hacked HDVR2's all running 6.2. I'm now having problems with HMO after I purchased a new router (Linksys WRT54G). The issue I'm having is with the now playing list being slow, which I know seems to be an issue with DNS. The strange thing is that I didn't have this problem with my old router (Linksys Wireless-B router). My new router is using the exact same ip address and subnet mask as my old router was: 192.168.1.1, 255.255.255.0. I haven't changed any Tivo settings so I'm sure this is just a router configuration issue that I may be overlooking. If I telnet into my Tivo boxes I am able to ping Tivo.com, so I'm sure DNS is in fact working fine.

I'm using static IP addresses on my tivo boxes. Also in the Now playing list, the tivos don't seem to be able to see each other, as that entry in the list is empty (it may also be just really slow.. not sure).

Code:
    office:/var/tmp# ping tivo.com
    PING tivo.com (204.176.49.110): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 204.176.49.110: icmp_seq=0 ttl=237 time=21.3 ms
    64 bytes from 204.176.49.110: icmp_seq=1 ttl=237 time=21.3 ms
    64 bytes from 204.176.49.110: icmp_seq=2 ttl=237 time=58.5 ms

--- tivo.com ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 21.3/33.7/58.5 ms
    office:/var/tmp# ping www.yahoo.com
    PING www.yahoo.akadns.net (66.94.230.46): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 66.94.230.46: icmp_seq=0 ttl=54 time=43.9 ms
    64 bytes from 66.94.230.46: icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=25.1 ms
    Code:
    office:/var/tmp# ifconfig -a
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.0.0.0
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0F:B5:F6:D6:F7
              inet addr:192.168.1.52  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:612 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:42999 dropped:432 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0
    Here are some other settings on tivo:

Code:
    office:/var/tmp# cat /etc/resolv.conf
    search localdomain
    nameserver 192.168.1.1
    office:/var/tmp# cat /etc/hosts
    # Copyright (c) 2001 TiVo Inc.
    127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost

Since my tivo's were all working fine before I installed the new router, I'm fairly sure that the issue is due to a router setting. Anyone have any tips on what I can check for in my router, or any other ideas on what could be going on?

Before we get to that...how did you set the IP address, etc., on the Tivo? Using ifconfig or netconfig.tcl?
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

On two of the Tivo's I previously had 4.0.1b running on them so set the network parameters using the UI. On the 3rd tivo I used netconfig.tcl to set the parameters.

Hmm. Only thing I can think is that perhaps the old router was doing DNS proxy (in other words, set the router's IP as your DNS server and the router forwards the queries) and the new one isn't. Or won't.

Re-run netconfig.tcl on each of the Tivos, but give it the DNS IP of your ISP. See if that makes a difference.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

I think you may be correct regarding the dns proxy with my old router. I think I found another solution that works.

I edited the /etc/nsswitch.conf and modified the "hosts: files dns" line to be just "hosts: files". Now I'm no longer able to ping Tivo.com, or any other site for that matter, but I don't think this is important as my DTivo doesn't really "need" to go outside for any information. With the change to the nsswitch.conf file the now playing list is once again fast, I can see my other tivo's, and music and photos connects fine with my desktop pc (running Tivo Desktop 2.2).

Yeah as long as you don't access TWP or something from the outside, you should be just fine.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

You might want to take a look at this article about the WRT54G router at Tom's Hardware Guide:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/0..._lousy_router/

Here's an article that compares lots of routers after you get done with that one:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/0...art_june_2006/
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by cheer
    Yeah as long as you don't access TWP or something from the outside, you should be just fine.
    Why wouldn't his solution be fine even if he does want to access TWP or something from the outside?

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video
    You might want to take a look at this article about the WRT54G router at Tom's Hardware Guide:

Here's an article that compares lots of routers after you get done with that one:

I gave up on using my wireless router as a router when thanks to this forum which continually directs people to e-donkey I decided to have a look at that whole scene. My Dlink DI-624 version A wireless router which is normally rock solid stable kept frequently rebooting every time I did the Kadmelia part of e-donkey. Apparently many routers, not just Dlink, freak out and reboot when you use edonkey.

So now I just use my DI-624 as a wireless access point and have switched all the routing, NAT, DNS, DHCP & firewall duties over to my Linux box. I actually get slightly better performance, edonkey's no problem, and I now have quality of service control.
    Last edited by ocntscha; 06-18-2006 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video

wow, thanks for the article. Fortunately I just purchased the router so will be able to return it. Looks like I'll most likely end up going with the D-link 634M instead.

If you bought it through a retailer like CompUSA, BB or CC, then you should be able to return it for a full refund. If you bought it mail order there are many vendors that will refund your money minus a restocking fee. For some reason, this router is very popular so you shouldn't have a problem selling it on ebay.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

dont let the V5 give you a bad impression, V1-V4 are great, very stable routers (that can handle heavy P2P use without breaking a sweat) with aftermarket firmwares.

linksys should have started a new line with V5 instead of tarnishing the WRT54G's name.

the hacking community is active for V1-V4 adding more & more features and user control.

another reason they're popular is because you can turn your WRT54G into basically a WRT54GS (which is usually $20 more) because the SpeedBooster feature is only depends on firmware.