Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: ffmpeg with MPEG to TY+ encoding support

reading ty format for ffmpeg?

Just wondering if anyone had looked at adding ty input capabilities to ffmpeg? The ty+ output works great! I'm using it to upload dailies of our short film (TiVo rocks for skipping through raw footage!), but it would be really useful for some of my other projects to have ffmpeg to be able to read the ty format as well. For starters, one could use it as a ty -> dvd converter in a single command-line function. It would also be useful for streaming TiVo programs in other formats, or even just for simple conversion. Would hdemux be a good place to borrow code from?

btw, this is a fantastic and extremely useful tool! Thanks for all the hard work! Are you considering submitting this patch to Fabrice (the ffmpeg maintainer) for inclusion into the ffmpeg source tree?

- Stealth Dave

already done.. use mplex with the -f 10 (.ty format flag) to split the file into standard m2v m2a files. and then use ffmpeg to put back together.

this is a special version of mplex that supports it...

umm... mplex is a muxer, not a demuxer. He referenced the right tool (hdemux) for demuxing already, but is interested in a single tool to do both jobs (i.e. adding ty as a supported ffmpeg decode codec).

Not sure there's enough interest to support that, though you're welcome to give it a shot, stealthdave.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthdave
    Just wondering if anyone had looked at adding ty input capabilities to ffmpeg? The ty+ output works great! I'm using it to upload dailies of our short film (TiVo rocks for skipping through raw footage!), but it would be really useful for some of my other projects to have ffmpeg to be able to read the ty format as well. For starters, one could use it as a ty -> dvd converter in a single command-line function. It would also be useful for streaming TiVo programs in other formats, or even just for simple conversion. Would hdemux be a good place to borrow code from?
    - Stealth Dave
    ty parsing in ffmpeg would definatly be handy. those who aren't technical enough to implement it can use mplayer

mplayer/mencoder supports direct playback/transcoding of ty files. usually it'll auto-detect the format, if not use the option "-demuxer 33"
    Code:
    mplayer -demuxer 33 whatever.ty 

mencoder whatever.ty -o whatever.mpg -demuxer 33 -of mpeg -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vhq:autoaspect:trell:acodec=mp2:sameq

Yes it would probably be feasible to merge hdemux support into ffmpeg, and that would be the best way to get ty support into ffmpeg if one wanted to. It would improve ease of use. On the other hand, I already have code that merges mplex into hdemux, and have written my own multiplexer, and also other tools such as tivotool automate the process as well. I would hesitate to add yet another way to do the same thing without first better evaluating mplex's multiplexing results vs ffmpeg's. I thought I would have seen more insight on that from here, but most of the feedback has instead largely been about bell&whistle items such as XML. Also there's some value in keeping things separate so that it's clear where problems have occurred, as they invariably do.

I may get to it anyways, but not this month. That's not to say someone else can't step up...
    btw, this is a fantastic and extremely useful tool! Thanks for all the hard work! Are you considering submitting this patch to Fabrice (the ffmpeg maintainer) for inclusion into the ffmpeg source tree?

- Stealth Dave
    Thanks. As my encoding&decoding libraries were written for standalone applications, and for integration with other tools as well, they do not strictly conform to ffmpeg's coding style, and I'm not sure I'd want to try to make them conform. I think it'd get to be too much like a day job to try to juggle all that 3rd party integration (with no payback, and for code that some would claim violates DMCA). Maybe the ffmpeg project wouldn't even want the code because of those DMCA concerns. On the other hand the ffmpeg API has so far proven much cleaner than mplex. If it wasn't for ffmpeg's incomplete API documentation I may have never started working with the seemingly easier mplex first...
    Last edited by bcc; 08-08-2006 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    ty parsing in ffmpeg would definatly be handy. those who aren't technical enough to implement it can use mplayer

mplayer/mencoder supports direct playback/transcoding of ty files. usually it'll auto-detect the format, if not use the option "-demuxer 33"
    Code:
    mplayer -demuxer 33 whatever.ty 

mencoder whatever.ty -o whatever.mpg -demuxer 33 -of mpeg -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vhq:autoaspect:trell:acodec=mp2:sameq
    I know mplayer can be used as a poor man's demultiplexer, but I don't think it's a very good choice. Mplayer code takes a very heuristic approach to parsing ty, which may be good enuf for media players, but it doesn't understand master chunks, chunk segment lengths, the garbage chunks that can appear at the end of streams, and the various formats that audio PES headers may be written in. hdemux understands all this.

The fact that you often have to pass "-demuxer 33" to mplayer is a bug that is a symptom of its heuristic parsing.

In case it's not clear, I recommend hdemux instead

Can an XML file be used to assign a folder and program descriptions once uploaded to the tivo? This works great i would just rather have a folder called "movies" instead of all of them showing up under the root of now showing.

couple of questions trying first dvd /vob conversions all other methods resulted in audio video sync issues.. will let you know the results..

I am getting the following error on one rip

error, non monotone timestamps 89280

any ideas

also since your example is a straight copy the bit rate seems too high at 7000 -9000 kb/s per dvd.. should I try setting it lower but then I assume I cannot use the straight stream copy as you specified in the example..

thanks
    Last edited by lgkahn; 09-21-2006 at 06:05 PM. Reason: adding question

also I have a movie with subtitles anyone know how to use -scodec to get the subtitles converted

I tried -scodec copy
    but it didn't work
    thanks

Question

I search and can't find how to install ffmpeg in Windows XP. If someone could be so kind and point me in the right direction or give me the instructions on how to install it and how to convert to .ty. Thanks in advance for your help.

don't double post, it can get your in trouble on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by ronkuba View Post
    I search and can't find how to install ffmpeg in Windows XP. If someone could be so kind and point me in the right direction or give me the instructions on how to install it and how to convert to .ty. Thanks in advance for your help.
    The second post in this thread provides pre-compiled windows binaries. The first post shows you how to use the program. Further details about conversion help belong in the support thread.

I've uploaded a new version, 1.5. Changes:
    • Synced to newer ffmpeg snapshot (allowing some vc1/wmv3 decoding)
      Unfortunately the source code repository for ffmpeg seems like a minefield of problems (patches that break compiles, and mess up frame rates). So this will have to be considered an alpha release, as I'm uncertain what might have been broken in the mainline that I haven't noticed yet.
    • Fixes for mpeg2 encoding: Allow for HD video frame rates, fix bug in multiplexer's notion of the "predecode" queue. ffmpeg is now the preferred multiplexer for hdemux, replacing mplex. (This 1.5 release supports both ty->mpg conversion with hdemux+ffmpeg, as well as encoding to .ty)

For windows users who compile from source, you'll need to reverse apply the following patch to libavcodec/mpegaudiodec.c.
    Code:
    Index: mpegaudiodec.c
    ===================================================================
    --- mpegaudiodec.c      (revision 6256)
    +++ mpegaudiodec.c      (revision 6290)
    @@ -430,9 +430,9 @@
             for(i=0; i<512*16; i++){
                 int exponent= (i>>4);
                 double f= pow(i&15, 4.0 / 3.0) * pow(2, (exponent-400)*0.25 + FRAC_BITS + 5);
    -            expval_table[exponent][i&15]= lrintf(f);
    +            expval_table[exponent][i&15]= llrint(f);
                 if((i&15)==1)
    -                exp_table[exponent]= lrintf(f);
    +                exp_table[exponent]= llrint(f);
             }

for(i=0;i<7;i++) {

Please ignore - posted in the wrong thread
    Last edited by pahunt; 11-22-2006 at 12:01 PM.

Successes with inserting into an HR10-250

Here's how I used this version of ffmpeg to rip a DVD straight to a ty+ file on my FC5 linux box, wrap it into a tmf file and then insert it into my HR10-250. Worked like a champ. The one thing that screwed me up for a bit was not realizing that ffmpeg was making ty+ not plain ty files. I also had problems getting mfs_ftp to insert the ty+ file, thus the use of the ty+2tmf.pl script (found here on ddb).

Code:
    vobcopy -l -o -|~/ffmpeg -y -i - -vcodec copy -acodec copy HarryPotter-GobletOfFire.ty
    ty+2tmf.pl HarryPotter-GobletOfFire.ty
    ncftpput -E -P 3105 192.168.0.x /tmf HarryPotter-GobletOfFire.tmf

I've also managed to use similar steps to those above to convert a wmv3 HD trailer to a 1280x720, 7000k tmf that I was able to insert and play on my HR10-250. The command looked something like this.

Code:
    ~/ffmpeg -i trailerHD.wmv -vcodec mpegvideo -b 7000k -r 29.97 -aspect 16:9 -acodec mp2 -ab 192 foo.ty
    Here's the output:
    Code:
    Seems that stream 1 comes from film source: 1000.00 (1000/1) -> 29.97 (30000/1001)
    Input #0, asf, from 'trailerHD.wmv':
      Duration: 00:01:01.2, start: 3.000000, bitrate: 2043 kb/s
      Stream #0.0: Audio: wmav2, 44100 Hz, stereo, 96 kb/s
      Stream #0.1: Video: wmv3, yuv420p, 1280x720, 29.97 fps(r)
    File 'foo.ty' already exists. Overwrite ? [y/N] y
    Output #0, ty, to 'foo.ty':
      Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 1280x720, q=2-31, 7000 kb/s, 29.97 fps(c)
      Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 44100 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
      Stream #0.1 -> #0.0
      Stream #0.0 -> #0.1

It would be cool if this ffmpeg could directly generate the tmf file but I'm happy with all the hard work that's been put into this already. I'm still figuring out the xml "stuff" that it can already do now. Personally I think I'd like to see mfs_ftp get a little more xml-fu but this isn't the thread for that. Edit: I found what I wanted here http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showpo...1&postcount=27
    Last edited by Lowlight; 12-15-2006 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Found a patch to solve my complaint about mfs_ftp
    --
    Lowlight
    Philips DSR7000 - 120GB, encryption off, 6.2 DTivo, tivowebplus, endpadplus, vserver, MRV, HMO
    Hughes SDVR40 - 300GB, encryption off, 6.2 DTivo, tivowebplus, endpadplus, vserver, MRV, HMO
    Hughes HR10-250 250GB, encryption off, 6.3c, tivowebplus 1.4, endpadplus, vserver, mfs_ftp, HME on

and I use tivotool.linux.pl for extraction and tivoserver for MRV reinsertion