Thread: Flakey Tuner 2 - HDVR-2

Flakey Tuner 2 - HDVR-2

Hello all,

I tried searching, but something seems a little misconfigured with php:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 233472 bytes) in /home/web/forum/includes/functions.php(2229) : eval()'d code on line 88

Anyhow, I had my Hughes go partially bad. Tuner 2 was very intermittent on some channels and moving cables around did not move the problem, so I had to assume it's the tuner itself. I bought a replacement HDVR-2 on Ebay ($46 shipped) and it's working fine so far.

But I would still like to fiddle with the old one and have it available as a backup.

Is this a common failure mode? Can it be fixed? Is it likely the tuner itself or the circuit that supplies power to the LNB to switch polarity? On recordings where the glitches are evident, the tivo just stutters and blanks the screen, but watching the same thing extracted shows that occasionally there's a few frames of a totally different program...

Tips? Hints?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by monttivo
    .....Tuner 2 was very intermittent on some channels and moving cables around did not move the problem, so I had to assume it's the tuner itself......
    I had a very similar problem with tuner 2 on my HDVR2. The signal would drop to zero every few seconds, but only on certain transponders, and only on tuner 2 (regardless of how I switched the RG-6 cables). I found that it went away if I unplugged the S-Video output and used another. Is that the case with yours?
    However, eventually (6 months), it began to happen regardless of the output I used, so I convinced TiVo to send me a refurbished unit. I think it took three calls to find someone who understood that it really was a hardware problem, and I got lucky that they didn't send me an R10.
    HR22-700, DSR704(6.2a), DSR7000(6.2a) w/killHDinitrd, superpatch(1.12), MRV, tivoserver, MFS_FTP, TivoWebPlus(2.1), TyShow, Hackman, tivocid, Tracker, ChannelPrefs, MovieLoader, TySuiteJ, MCE(HD), Xbox360, Jacket Themes, NoReRecord

Quote Originally Posted by SteveT
    I had a very similar problem with tuner 2 on my HDVR2. The signal would drop to zero every few seconds, but only on certain transponders, and only on tuner 2 (regardless of how I switched the RG-6 cables). I found that it went away if I unplugged the S-Video output and used another. Is that the case with yours?
    I can't say, it never occurred to me to try that. Now the box is unregistered, so I'm not sure I can.

However, can someone confirm that there is voltage sent out the SAT IN jacks that is used to switch polarity on the LNB? If so, I suspect that there is a component somewhere near the SAT IN that has to handle at least a few 100 mA that would be a likely culprit. Anyone here familiar with the internals of these things?