Thread: Uses for a spare HDVR-2?

Uses for a spare HDVR-2?

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place... I have an old HDVR-2 that has one bad tuner.

And I have a computer with media on it (audio and video) in another room. For some time I've wanted a generic "box" that I could send audio and/or video to from the Mac to the TV, even if I have to transcode to do it.

Has anyone seen any sort of software for the DTivos that lets them act as a generic media "spigot"? What kind of fun can I have now that I've got a spare DTivo?

Upgrade to 6.2 (if not done already), superpatch it and run Tivoserver (for videos) and JavaHMO (for audio) on a PC. And there you go.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Quote Originally Posted by cheer
    Upgrade to 6.2 (if not done already), superpatch it and run Tivoserver (for videos) and JavaHMO (for audio) on a PC. And there you go.
    Anything out there that works without Windows? I've got just about everything else available but Windows. I did play with JavaHMO briefly, but it didn't do any transcoding of non-mp3 audio.

I guess what I'm really looking for/asking is is there any non-tivo linux out there for the box that turns it into an a/v spigot, and any accompanying transcoding software that could talk to that and runs on OS-X/Linux/*BSD/etc....

Nothing for the Tivo itself...but neither Tivoserver nor JavaHMO require Windows.

P.S. Not a development thread. Mods, please move.
    Last edited by cheer; 06-29-2006 at 08:56 PM.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Not development but check out byRequest for Music/Photos. It's for linux and OSX, and runs as a server with no UI.

Moved to Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by cheer
    P.S. Not a development thread. Mods, please move.
    Sorry, was looking for input as to whether any "development types" had fooled around with loading PPC or MIPS Linux onto a spare Tivo to play around, or if there was any devel work involving turning a Tivo into a simple Linux box with an A/V "spigot".

I'll take this thread as a "no".

Looking at the other options suggested... Thanks!

I don't think there's anything wrong with a 1 tuner DirecTivo. In fact that's the way I've had my DirecTivo setup for the past 5+ years. Assuming you've got a satellite feed(s) in another room, then I'd suggest hacking it to allow MRV and HMO. You'll easily be able to watch any show on either TV AND you'll be able to watch any show on any of your computer(s) AND burn DVD's of shows. TivoTool runs great under OSX 10.4.x and lets you watch Tivo'd shows and burn DVD's at www.tivotool.com