Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDTiVo to HD-DVD now possible

HDTiVo to HD-DVD now possible

A minor breakthrough over on AVS - it's now possible to burn HDTiVo streams to standard DVD's that are playable on the Tosh HD-DVD player. This can be done using Ulead MoveFactory5 or VideoStudio10+. And thanks to D*'s HDLite, many movies will fit on a standard DL DVD. Here's the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...07#post7925607

So you don't have to wade through 25 pages, here's the history. MF5 and VS10+ both have HD-DVD authoring capability. They've removed the ability to burn a disc image, but you can still create the folders and burn those to DVD using Nero by dropping the HDDVD folder structure on the root of the disc which will also contain the VIDEO_TS folder (which needs a dummy file inserted to enable burning). Both programs will accept the following MPEG streams (1080i) without re-encoding: 1920x1080, 1440x1080, 1280x1080. Now, our 1280x1088 D* streams were causing problems, but it turns out that simply patching the sequence headers to 1280x1080 does the trick. We also figured out how to get 720p streams through by patching the first header to make the stream look like 1080i. It's all in the last few pages of the AVS thread. Enjoy...

texmex

flagmaster Guest
    OOOOO!!!!!!

This makes my choice between blu-ray and hddvd lean even more toward hd-dvd!!

How much do these two softeare pacakges cost?

Just an FYI... unless you feel like reading 47 pages (seriously) of the development of the HD-DVD authoring process, go straight to the new sticky...

The AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring

Hendersonville, TN (just outside of Nashville)

HD in DVD-Lab

Quote Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post
    Just an FYI... unless you feel like reading 47 pages (seriously) of the development of the HD-DVD authoring process, go straight to the new sticky...

The AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring
    Nice find. All this is geared toward either MF5 or Nero. I am working on a project in DVD Lab Pro. It can not accept HD video.

I have programs record OTA via the HR10-250 D*Tivo. I extracted the file to my hard drive as an MPG using TyTool. I took VideoReDo and edited out the commercials.

How can I prep the file for use in DVD-Lab? When I select the file in DVD-Lab and de-mux it I get an error

• Cause: Wrong FPS

• Size: 1280x720 FPS:59.94, Aspect 16.9

I do not care if I lose a bit of the picture quality just as long as I get it to work right in DVD-Lab.
    Last edited by Growler; 12-30-2006 at 12:17 PM.

flagmaster Guest
    If you dont mind loosing the HDTV quality and just want it to be in wide screen and 5.1 at 720 x 480 native res, you can use "hdtv2dvd" program to rescale it, it even has a nice autio fit setting to make it fit nicly onto a singal layer dvd.
    But this again will zap the HDTV part of it.

If you want to record full res, look into a dvhs recorder unit and put it onto tape.

I hate tape, so Im going the route of VERY LARGE hard drives on my PC, and just streaming them out to the dvhs deck for hdtv decoding over firewire.

beeing able to put these onto hd-dvd in full hd would be nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by flagmaster View Post
    beeing able to put these onto hd-dvd in full hd would be nice indeed.
    You can leave your HD recordings on an HTPC, no transcoding required, for about $0.25/gb, instead of trying to convert to HD-DVD and buying more expensive (and less reliable?) optical media.

Don't toshiba players support h.264? Why not transcode these to h.264? That way you could use uber cheap single layer DVD's.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
    Don't toshiba players support h.264? Why not transcode these to h.264? That way you could use uber cheap single layer DVD's.
    There is no [consumer level] software available to author h.264 (or VC-1 for that matter) streams to HD-DVD. Hopefully that will change soon - early 2007 maybe?

has anyone succeeded in getting tytool to ake an mpeg that does not need re-encoding to make an HD DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by gottahavit View Post
    has anyone succeeded in getting tytool to ake an mpeg that does not need re-encoding to make an HD DVD?
    Yes - but I only use tytool to generate the initial mpeg. I run every file through VideoRedo (edit and/or quick stream fix) before loading in ULead. For D* 1080i you'll need to patch headers from 1088 to 1080. For 720p you may need to "trick" Ulead into accepting the file (read the guide linked earlier). You also may want to try tytompg as an alternative to tytool to generate mpeg.

Quote Originally Posted by texmex View Post
    Yes - but I only use tytool to generate the initial mpeg. I run every file through VideoRedo (edit and/or quick stream fix) before loading in ULead. For D* 1080i you'll need to patch headers from 1088 to 1080. For 720p you may need to "trick" Ulead into accepting the file (read the guide linked earlier). You also may want to try tytompg as an alternative to tytool to generate mpeg.
    Thanks for the response, I did try tytompg, I have not tried running it through video redo. I will try that tomorrow, thanks

I had been sitting on the fence regarding which HD format to buy, if any. I wanted to wait until the dust settled before making the investment but having the ability to use existing DVD-Rs with my current DVD burner pushed me over to the HD-DVD camp. I placed an order for a Toshiba HD-A2 player yesterday. It should complement my HDTivos and new HTPC quite nicely.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by texmex View Post
    are you setting any specific options in VideoRedo. I have tried editing and quick fix, neither seems to leave my file compatible for Ulead?

Did you use HDPatch to convert the headers from 1088 to 1080? Make sure you have Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 installed or HDPatch won't work. Check the bitrate settings to see if the recording isn't showing an unusually high bitrate. You may need to change this to prevent DMF from re-encoding the files.

I'm in the process of trying this myself for the first time. I reactivated the HD package with DTV after discovering they took TNT-HD away from us and included it with the HD package. I've already recorded a few HD movies and I'm looking forward to getting this going.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    Did you use HDPatch to convert the headers from 1088 to 1080? Make sure you have Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 installed or HDPatch won't work. Check the bitrate settings to see if the recording isn't showing an unusually high bitrate. You may need to change this to prevent DMF from re-encoding the files.

I'm in the process of trying this myself for the first time. I reactivated the HD package with DTV after discovering they took TNT-HD away from us and included it with the HD package. I've already recorded a few HD movies and I'm looking forward to getting this going.
    I did get ths to wrok, the issue was the bitrate. Now I am trying to figure out how to get the stuttering to stop. Plays ok on my xbox 360 mostly but occasionally stutters and then ffwds to catch up. May be just won't work well with xbox