Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Tivo2.5 Prom Code

I think if you're looking for a kernel for a R10, you're going to have to find someone who is willing to part with a custom kernel. I don't think I've seen one offered here but I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapitharian
    ptvupgrade.com sells CD's that contain tons of goodies. One of which is the kernel we want. it is on the boot CD.
    Nope, that kernel won't work for you. As Jamie mentions, you need a kernel specifically for the Series2.5 boxes.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but for a Series 2.5 Tivo my understanding is you don't need to go and acquire any kernel from anywhere. You hack your PROM and neuter whatever kernel you're already using with replace_initrd.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy52
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but for a Series 2.5 Tivo my understanding is you don't need to go and acquire any kernel from anywhere. You hack your PROM and neuter whatever kernel you're already using with replace_initrd.
    Right. The only reason to use a custom kernel is if you want something extra beyond what the stock kernel offers (e.g. better network performance, a journaled root file system, etc).

18 Thanks Fellas

Thanks for the clarification.
    I will use the replace_initrd.
    Funny the more you read and discuss the clearer things get. :P
    Now I see the differances between my 2 RCA dvr40's and my one dtv R10.

Thanks,
    Rap

Has anyone found/posted a binary for replace_initrd, I really don't want to go the compile route if possable, or is there a pre neutered kernel out there? I have searched up and down and can't quite finger it yet.

Thankx all,
    JM

Post Replace_initrd

Post number 90 on this thread has great links.
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...t=43911&page=6

Will look for a compiled Version, If I can't find it I will compile.
    Update - Compiled a copy and I am waiting for the Author's permission to post. See the thread below for updates.
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...441#post259441

-Rap
    Last edited by Rapitharian; 07-08-2006 at 08:06 PM.

Success!

Using the prom from:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/at...9&d=1102223963 (From Post 5 of this thread)

And the Kernel from:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/at...6&d=1103774590 (By Alldeadhomiez)

I have my R10 up and going!!

It may not be the BEST combo but it does get the job done.

Thankx RAP and all the Expert help provided in this thread, it should prove useful for many others.

I also employed a piggy-back method of fixing the prom, a new programmed prom is simply soldered directly to the old one and two wire jumpers are added. No de-soldering or removing the old prom is required, I plan to post pix's and complete instructions soon on the prom socketing thread. This should be much easier for many people that are worried about killing their boards trying to remove the old prom.

Thankx again all,
    JM

Also, 'Ocntscha', were you able to flash back to the original program or re-program the prom a 2nd time? Many of the boards that 'self flash' contain the actual flash program on the prom and the next (new) flash must contain the same code snippet or the card will not flash anymore (or work). All computer Motherboards work this way too.
    Last edited by jmayes; 07-11-2006 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmayes
    Also, 'Ocntscha', were you able to flash back to the original program or re-program the prom a 2nd time? Many of the boards that 'self flash' contain the actual flash program on the prom and the next (new) flash must contain the same code snippet or the card will not flash anymore (or work). All computer Motherboards work this way too.
    Yes, after successfully experimenting with flashing in the Tivo PROM code I was able to then flash in the IDE controller BIOS. I know what you're saying, most firmware is in a certain format with a certain checksum or signature and generally a flash utility won't flash in anything not specifically for the particular card, motherboard, what have you, or I know what your saying too, maybe after flashing in the Tivo PROM the flasher might not think its an IDE controller anymore, or part of the necessary flash code might actually need to be stored on the PROM and so I wouldn't be able flash back in the IDE controller BIOS. In fact I may not have even performed this experiment of flashing in the Tivo PROM for fear of permantly killing my IDE controller where it not for something I'd done accidentally when I was playing with its flash utility when I first got the card.. The flash utility includes an option that lets you erase the entire prom and I accidentally chose that the first time I ever used the utility. So I knew if it didn't want to flash the IDE controller BIOS back in after flashing in the TIVO PROM code I could just erase it first. I'm telling you guys this is just a really bare flashing utility put out by the chip vendor which they've never really bothered to make user friendly and/or id10t proof. In fact you HAVE to read the included Word document it comes with for instructions to even use it successfully. You can't just fire it up and start picking menu options (which is what I originally did and how I originally erased the entire PROM ), there's no option in its menus to even flash in a file. In its interactive mode which is what you get by just firing it up there's options to do hex dumps, and change individual addresses of the PROM, check the PROM, or erase the entire PROM which is how I ended up erasing the entire PROM. But to actually flash in a file you have to specify it on the command line but nothing like /? , -h, --help even works for telling you how to use it. When I was experimenting last week I actually flashed it several times, going back and forth between TIVO and IDE controller code, erased it entirely once or twice, really gave it a work out to make sure I thought it could be successfully used for flashing PROMs for a Tivo.
    Last edited by ocntscha; 07-11-2006 at 09:36 AM.

ocntscha, that is good to hear. It sounds like you have found the low-cost programmer many may want to use for this project.

My Tivo R10 up for 12 hours now, no problems at all, all patches and hacks installed.

JM

32 Piggy Backing the PROM

I have provided the how-to for the Piggy-back PROM replacement method here;

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...690#post259690

Good luck to all!
    Jmayes

Thumbs up

Nice job, I did it the old fashioned way which worked out really well but this is nice for those that are a little nervous about making a major assult on their R10's. Nice to have peeps like you around, keep up the great work.

Awesome job ! Now if I could just get one of those preprogrammed chips, I'd be ready to make the jump into this hacking DTivo, I'm new to it all and own a HR10-250 and 2 R10's. None hacked yet. I read an update is on the way for the 10-250 too !! What a good day

I have perhaps more good news on the HR10-250, you don't have to do the PROM for that one, I have mine all hacked up and still using the original prom, read read read

Good luck
    Jmayes

29 And yet a even better 'no solder' way to replace the prom!!!

It was suggested to use two back-to-back prom sockets to stack the 2nd prom. I love the idea so well that I made some proto's and documented the procedure. Since only one wire needs connected it could even be jamed into the eye-lit tight thus no soldering!

See all the info here,

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...752#post259752

Enjoy,
    Jmayes