Page 20 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: FINALLY! An Upgrade for the HR10-250. 6.3!

I noticed this on the most recent reboot:

Checking for database conversions
    No upgrade to load
    NewSoftware: getting SwSystem name
    NewSoftware: failure reading SwSystem none: 0x30001

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Code:
    $swsys setActive
    This probably means that 3.1.5f is still marked as ACTIVE in /SwSystem.
    Any easy way to flip it to active or am I looking at a restore ?

Looks like this is the code at the end of installSw.itcl that didn't get executed:

Code:
    set db [dbopen]                                                                 

if { $argc == 0 } {                                                             
        RetryTransaction {                                                          
            set newSw [db $db open "/State/ServiceConfig"]                          
            set name   [dbobj $newSw get SwSystemName]                              
        }                                                                           
    } else {                                                                        
        set name [lindex $argv 0]                                            
    }                                                                               

InstallSoftware $db $name                                                   

dbclose $db                                                                     

exit 0

Quote Originally Posted by rbreding View Post
    Any easy way to flip it to active or am I looking at a restore ?
    Yes, a little tcl script should do the trick. Run an mfs_ls /SwSystem to be sure that's really the problem. Look at the FSID's and check which one is marked as ACTIVE.

Looks like this is the code at the end of installSw.itcl that didn't get executed: ..
    [/code]
    Nope, that's not it. You aren't reading the code in the order that it is executed. It's in the middle of InstallSoftware when the failure occurs. I believe /State/ServiceConfig has already been updated with the new SwSystemName by the time it failed. mfs_dumpobj /State/ServiceConfig to find out for sure.

Here are some more untested patches for 6.3:

Code:
    vma	 orig		new		patch
    ---------------------------------------------------
    A66F68	 1440002b	1040002b	30sec skip
    6ACCA4	 00008021	24100001	backdoors
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by jasch View Post
    Remove them. They fail to load anyway.
    What does this mean exactly? I have the following in my current .author. Does that mean this is no longer needed, or do we do this from a different place now?

#install usb and ethernet drivers
    insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ehci-hcd.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ax8817x.o

#install drivers for usb external devices like disk drives
    insmod /lib/modules/scsi_mod.o
    insmod /lib/modules/usb-storage.o
    insmod /lib/modules/sd_mod.o
    insmod /lib/modules/fat.o
    insmod /lib/modules/vfat.o

scsi_mod.o?
    5 Series 2 DTivos: upgraded to 120GB, 6.2, SuperPatched, tserver, mfs_ftp, tivowebplus, endpadplus, bufferhack, MRV, HMO
    1 HR10-250: upgraded to 400GB, tserver, mfs_ftp, tivowebplus, endpadplus, bufferhack
    2 R15s: Just playing
    2 R10's PROMs in house but not installed yet (sitting on the bench)
    JAVAHMO Server 2.4/EtiVo Server 1.0.1924.2

Yeah...it did the system uprade...new screens on boot (I had custom ones), and it also says that I need to activate my DVR service.
    Mine said "ACCOUNT CLOSED" when I first went to System Information, I redetected the satellites and it went back to "Account in Good Standing". May have come back on its own had I waited, but I was impatient. Did yours resolve itself?

Took me about an hour to upgrade my box while eating dinner, but I still have to touch the network settings and see what I did wrong over serial.

I did have to make /install so installSw.itcl could mount the new partition though.

ETA: Network back on. :::whew::: Now to get the gigE adapter running.
    Last edited by LlamaLarry; 09-15-2006 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcat400 View Post
    What does this mean exactly? I have the following in my current .author. Does that mean this is no longer needed, or do we do this from a different place now?

#install usb and ethernet drivers
    insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ehci-hcd.o
    insmod /lib/modules/ax8817x.o
    No longer needed -- Tivo autoloads them in 6.x. Of course, you could be like Jamie and load them earlier in the process, but for most folk there's no need.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

cool. Thanks Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by cheer View Post
    No longer needed -- Tivo autoloads them in 6.x. Of course, you could be like Jamie and load them earlier in the process, but for most folk there's no need.

As an update.....

I flipped my partitions back to what they were prior to the database upgrade (probably shouldn't have done it, but I did). After that it tried to boot up one and segfaulted.

After that it wouldn't boot up at all. Couldn't find the correct partition..blah...blah.

So I reverted back via the prom menu to the "upgraded" partition, and it still wouldn't boot....

So I boot the laptop back into knoppix and reloaded my handy backup I made before starting this process (and glad I did). So the tivo is back up and running on 3.1.5f. and I will try it again.

/SwSystem still shows 6.3 in the database, but I wonder if it is actually all there. I did the mfsbackup with a -l 10 to shrink the size as it wanted to backup 6gig with a -l 25.

And on another note I think I may have figured out why the upgrade wouldn't complete Jaime. I am using the framework, so my bash starts up in rc.runfirst before rc.sysinit. I will change that before the next upgrade try to see if that fixed my environment problem.

This is a bit premature so don't get any hopes up, but I am poking around the binary for 6.3 and thus far every MRV function that our patches have targeted is in fact there in this binary. They could have just removed the string refs and nothing else? *shrug*

Again I haven't checked the whole thing, so far all I have done is take a few glances around in different parts of it.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Ok, I'm stumped by this one. I let one of my hacked HR10s apply the update on it's own and it worked just fine. So now I'm trying to get network functionality up and running.

I had everything working from the serial console and got the unit responding to pings but not telnet. On my non-HD units I used the method of renaming netfilter-enable to .old and cp netfilter-disable to -enable. So on my last attempt that's all I changed. Did a reboot and now the unit will not reboot. Serial port is showing what's in the attachment. All I did between boots was rename netfilter-enable to .orig and cp -disable to -enable.
    5 Series 2 DTivos: upgraded to 120GB, 6.2, SuperPatched, tserver, mfs_ftp, tivowebplus, endpadplus, bufferhack, MRV, HMO
    1 HR10-250: upgraded to 400GB, tserver, mfs_ftp, tivowebplus, endpadplus, bufferhack
    2 R15s: Just playing
    2 R10's PROMs in house but not installed yet (sitting on the bench)
    JAVAHMO Server 2.4/EtiVo Server 1.0.1924.2

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    SerialNumber

It's set in the tivo rc.sysinit, so if you start your bash in rc.sysinit.author, you should have it unless you are explicitly unsetting it.
    Jaime....I tried to check for this variable under 3.1.5f after I canged the location of the bash startup and it still doesn't seem to have it (unless I am pulling it wrong).

echo $SerialNumber comes back empty.....

EDIT: I found the section in rc.sysinit that sets it:

Code:
    # Figure out the system serial number. (On combo box,                           
    # this is called the TiVo Service ID.)                                                 
    SysSerial=`crypto -gsn`                         
    if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then SysSerial=""; fi
    if [ -z $SysSerial ]; then SysSerial=`driveid /dev/hda`; fi
    if [ -z $SysSerial ]; then SysSerial=000000000000000; fi  
    export SerialNumber=$SysSerial
    however the variable is empty......weird
    Last edited by rbreding; 09-15-2006 at 08:26 PM.