Thread: Bigger HD Confirmation

Bigger HD Confirmation

Hi all:

Been out of the Tivo scene for some time now, and am about to jump back in. I previously upgraded to a bigger HD, but put the old HD back in before I pulled it offline (2 years ago). I plan on doing full hacks in the near future, but for now, I just want to put a bigger HD back in until I'm ready to read, read, read until my eyes bleed.

I'd appreciate some input on what I'm going to do so I can avoid some mistakes. So again, just gonna put in a bigger HD in my DVR40:

(1) Activate & stream DVR40 to get latest OS.
    (2) Newest OS will support ATA133, so I can drop 133GB+ HD in.
    (3) Follow http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9.html: Hinsdale's How-to [Last Updated Feb 8th, 2005 11:43AM CST] to set up my new, bigger HD.

TIA for your comments!

Yep, all that should work fine. Latest DTivo OS is 6.2, which does indeed support LBA48 for >133GB HDs. Hinsdale's How-To is still pretty much the gold std. for HD upgrades.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Quote Originally Posted by cheer
    Yep, all that should work fine. Latest DTivo OS is 6.2, which does indeed support LBA48 for >133GB HDs. Hinsdale's How-To is still pretty much the gold std. for HD upgrades.
    The Hindsdale instructions are somewhat out of date now and don't handle disks > 300GB. At least, the last time I checked, it didn't include the "-r 4" switch you need when creating partitions > 274GB.

I thought about that after I posted but by the time I made it back to my PC you'd already posted.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Thanks Jamie & cheer!! I appreciate your help!

edit: Once I clarified the right steps, it took all of 10 minutes (including connecting drives, etc., but excluding wait states)! Thanks again!!!
    Last edited by Recursion; 07-20-2006 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    The Hindsdale instructions are somewhat out of date now and don't handle disks > 300GB. At least, the last time I checked, it didn't include the "-r 4" switch you need when creating partitions > 274GB.
    I've browsed quickly through the forum and can't find much info on upgrading to a drive >300GB. Surely the '-r 4' switch isn't all there is too it? Anyone point me in the right direction?

THX

Quote Originally Posted by Calinours
    I've browsed quickly through the forum and can't find much info on upgrading to a drive >300GB. Surely the '-r 4' switch isn't all there is too it? Anyone point me in the right direction?

THX
    You're right. There are three issues:

The kernel must support LBA-48 addressing. The latest software for all Series 2 and Series 2.5 systems includes an LBA-48 kernel.

Mfstools requires the -r 4 switch to initialize an mfs partition greater than 274 Gig.

And mfstools cannot properly initialize a swap partition greater than 127 meg. The workaround is here.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    You're right. There are three issues:

The kernel must support LBA-48 addressing. The latest software for all Series 2 and Series 2.5 systems includes an LBA-48 kernel.

Mfstools requires the -r 4 switch to initialize an mfs partition greater than 274 Gig.

And mfstools cannot properly initialize a swap partition greater than 127 meg. The workaround is here.

PlainBill
    So, basically (with a DSR704 w/6.2 & a 2x400GB drive setup), I would use the '-r 4' (thereby upsizing to 16MB format), use a swap of... oh, say 450Mb with '-s 300,' & 'tpip --swapped -mkswap /dev/hdX'? That seems a bit easier that it used to be explained... I've been told you have to re-map the drive's partitions manually. What's changed?

THX

Quote Originally Posted by Calinours
    So, basically (with a DSR704 w/6.2 & a 2x400GB drive setup), I would use the '-r 4' (thereby upsizing to 16MB format), use a swap of... oh, say 450Mb with '-s 300,' & 'tpip --swapped -mkswap /dev/hdX'? That seems a bit easier that it used to be explained... I've been told you have to re-map the drive's partitions manually. What's changed?

THX
    Nothing's changed. All the rules still apply. A 'stock' drive can be expanded only once. If a drive has already been expanded, it might be possible to combine mfs partition sets and expand it again, but the resulting drive is incompatible with mfs tools. And using more than one drive in a Series 2 TiVo is a bad idea.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.