Thread: tivo series 2 power supply

tivo series 2 power supply

hello. i am a new member here, so if you could help..i would appreciate it! i have a series 2 tivo with power supply #spwr-00004-001 rev a3, anyway i noticed that this unit was turning on and off and rebooting, i found the problem inside this power supply to be conponent Q1 (transistor) i put a sealed ice pack (no cooling spray available) on the heat sink (small heat sink) not the slotted heat sink, but the small solid aluminum one, and problem stopped. i suppose that it is a bad transistor getting to hot and bleeding to ground. Component has markings 2843 AF..but not sure what values and type of this transistor..could you maybe identify this component and what would work in its place, or a place where i can get this transistor?

thank you for the help...david
    Last edited by einsteins-ether; 08-06-2006 at 09:52 PM.

correction about transistor

i am sorry, the component is Q1 not Q2 as stated earlier an info will help...thank you

Wrong forum. Try the hardware forum instead of the files forum.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

You are much smarter than I, i you are working at that level.
    I have a few DTivos, less hard drive, and would send you one for just the postage. Let me know.

Moved to Newbie

Power supplies on TIVOs, computers, etc. don't work much different from each other. A very common mode of failure is that the electrolytic caps (for the uninitiated, these look like little cans) tend to degrade over time. Provided you are ambitious enough to try your hand at soldering/ desoldering, replacing these capacitors will solve most PS problems. Please note the markings on the caps during removal-- the replacements must be installed the same way. Also, while capacitance is critical (e.g., a 47uF cap must be replaced with a 47uF cap), voltage is less critical. If you replace a cap rated at 25 volts with a cap rated at 35 volts, that's OK. Just don't go to a lower voltage, or going to a much higher voltage (this is probably not possible, since the higher voltage caps may not fit).