Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what can i use instead of an FA120?

what can i use instead of an FA120?

I just added another HDVR2 to my collection. All my other DTiVos are wired in via FA120, but they've become pretty costly on eBay. The USB200M v1 is pretty much non-available. Is there another wired solution for 6.2 w/backport drivers that's actually still made at a sub $20 price? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by robr View Post
    I just added another HDVR2 to my collection. All my other DTiVos are wired in via FA120, but they've become pretty costly on eBay. The USB200M v1 is pretty much non-available. Is there another wired solution for 6.2 w/backport drivers that's actually still made at a sub $20 price? Thanks.
    The usb200m v2 works with the backport drivers. Also, these work with the backport drivers and are pretty cheap:

It's getting harder to find adapters that will work with the old 6.2 stock drivers.

Gracias!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    The usb200m v2 works with the backport drivers. Also, these work with the backport drivers and are pretty cheap:

It's getting harder to find adapters that will work with the old 6.2 stock drivers.
    Am I remembering right that you need a switch that supports jumbo frames to really see a difference with the GIG E adapter?
    HR10-250 - 500G, HR34-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR22-100

Quote Originally Posted by dengland View Post
    Am I remembering right that you need a switch that supports jumbo frames to really see a difference with the GIG E adapter?
    Right. But the adapters are cheap and work fine as 100mbps adapters too.

Thanks, I ordered a Airlink-101 ASOHOUSB over the weekend. Much cheaper than trying to bid on an FA-120 on ebay.

I'm using a Dlink DUB-E100. Works as well as the FA120. Might buy a few more and sell my FA120's on eBay. The prices they're getting are almost twice what I paid for them.
    Last edited by labbie48; 08-15-2006 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Typo's
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - a cigar in one hand - a Martini in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a ride!

1 HDVR2, 500 Gb, hacked, 6.3e
    1 R10 Prom Mod 500 Gb 6.3e
    1 HR20-100 Stock
    1 HR21-100 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by labbie48 View Post
    I'm using a Dlink DUB-E100. Works as well as the FA120.
    Watch out for the new B1 revision.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Are they marked differently or is it a crap shoot?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - a cigar in one hand - a Martini in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a ride!

1 HDVR2, 500 Gb, hacked, 6.3e
    1 R10 Prom Mod 500 Gb 6.3e
    1 HR20-100 Stock
    1 HR21-100 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by labbie48 View Post
    Are they marked differently or is it a crap shoot?
    No idea. Google dub-e100 and B1 and see what you can find out.

It doesn't look hard to support in the backport drivers. If someone has one and is willing to test, PM me.

Just an update, I am having no luck with the Airlink-101 ASOHOUSB. I carted everything to work today to set up and I typically get no lights on this adapter. If I unplug it and plug it back in, sometimes I'll get a power light, but I never get a link light. I'm going to bring in an FA-120 tomorrow and see how that goes just to verify it's not a problem with the USB ports.
    Last edited by robr; 08-23-2006 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robr View Post
    Just an update, I am having no luck with the Airlink-101 ASOHOUSB. I carted everything to work today to set up and I typically get no lights on this adapter. If I unplug it and plug it back in, sometimes I'll get a power light, but I never get a link light. I'm going to bring in an FA-120 tomorrow and see how that goes just to verify it's not a problem with the USB ports.
    Serial console access is a basic requirement for debugging network problems. Otherwise you are debugging blind. Lacking that, there may be useful information in the kernel log.

Are you sure you correctly installed the latest version of the backport drivers?

I'll try tomorrow with the FA-120 and if that works, I'll just pay the extra $$ and get one on eBay. It's worth the extra $30 if it saves myself the time required to try to troubleshoot further.
    Last edited by robr; 08-23-2006 at 08:40 AM.

If you used an unnamed automated tool to hack your tivo, perhaps that tool did not add the appropriate entries to your /etc/hotplug/usb.map. Take any further discussion to the forum that supports that tool.

As a rule of thumb, D-link generally prints the HW version on or near the UPC label of a retail box.