Thread: Install Linux on TiVo ?

Install Linux on TiVo ?

Hello all,

Please don't kill me for askimg questions like this:
    I have a couple of Series 2 TiVo's but I am not interested in signing up to their service. I'd rather try to use them as some sort of media player, or Linux "server" (web server, file server, whatever).
    Has anybody done this ? Is there any precompiled image that can be loaded on them ? At least if I could get to install a very basic linux, where I can SSH into the box and have a compiler, I would work my way up through compiling other packages.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by liviutoma View Post
    ...Is there any precompiled image that can be loaded on them ? At least if I could get to install a very basic linux, where I can SSH into the box and have a compiler, I would work my way up through compiling other packages.
    Installing Debian on a Series2 DirecTivo

FYI, I don't think you're going to enjoy this. As far as PCs go, the Tivo is a very, very underpowered box. I can't imagine trying to compile things on it, or even running a webserver...
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Quote Originally Posted by liviutoma View Post
    Hello all,

Please don't kill me for askimg questions like this:
    I have a couple of Series 2 TiVo's but I am not interested in signing up to their service. I'd rather try to use them as some sort of media player, or Linux "server" (web server, file server, whatever).
    Has anybody done this ? Is there any precompiled image that can be loaded on them ? At least if I could get to install a very basic linux, where I can SSH into the box and have a compiler, I would work my way up through compiling other packages.

Thanks
    I would think you could use it as a media box of sorts.

There is a thread or two on using ffmpeg to convert other video streams to Tivo format for insertion via mfs_ftp (I've done this a couple times with great success on my S1), and (from what I've read) you can even do "on the fly" streaming if your network/PC are up to the task.

Using it as a generic Linux box is probably more painful than its worth, and since the a/v hardware drivers are not open source you would have a heck of a time trying to run anything other than Tivo software for media use.

Thanks very much to everybody !