Thread: Tivo Freezes when changing channel changing options

33 Tivo Freezes when changing channel changing options

So I stayed up till 3:30 in the morning last night hacking my tivo.
    Using the advice and postings of ScanMan, alldeadhomiez, Jamie, and countless others, reading until my eyes bled, I got the thing to work, WITH ONE (actually two) BIG EXCEPTION.

Here's what I did: (in detail for your enjoyment)

I had a SA2.5 TCD540140, stock till now.

I put a larger hard drive in using the directions at interactive-tivo.com (or whatever that site is) and that was no problem, now it's a 200 gb drive.

I bought a socket and preprogrammed PROM from Sonicos (highly recommended) and soldered the socket in place. Cleaned up the old PROM and stuck it in the socket, hooked up the HD, and turned on the TiVO and verified that everything worked fine.

I then hacked going off of ScanMan's post of what he did to his SA2.5
    Everything worked great. (got telnet and serial log to work, though serial bash doesn't work yet as you'll see in the log I will post below)

I then used a tcl script I found online to change the remote codes stored by tivo under the "Primestar" codes. This went without a hitch.

Here's where things went wrong:
    I then turned on the TiVo and went to the channel changing options under settings.
    I told it I had a different satellite box now and told it that the new box was a Primestar.
    It then took me through a step where it tested a channel change, this worked and I selected "the channel changed."
    The Tivo then started a second test but the channel did not change, and I could not select the option "nothing happened" I couldn't do anything at all because the TiVo would not respond to the remote control even though the video is still playing in the background.... and this is where I'm lost... when this error occured the serial reported:
    Code:
    irblast.c::dev_write_digit(), line 231
    (on second thought, I'm not sure if this is after the successful first test or the failed second test...)

anyways, I then have to reboot my tivo and the IR settings are not changed to Primestar, I have tried it about 5 times and it freezes every time... after about 20 minutes or so it asks me if I want to stop now... which makes me think that somehow my tcl script might be disabling the IR sensor of the TiVo box when that IR code is used...
    anyone have any ideas what's going on?
    The tcl script is attached if you guys want to look at it(remove .txt).

also, my serial bash isn't working (though the serial output is working and the telnet is working too) check out my serial log which is attached.

basically it says that:
    "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author: /dev/ttyS2: No such file or directory"
    Is the serial bash in another directory? every example i've seen here looks like mine (like 10 at least).

So, in summary:

1. Why is my tivo freezing when I try and select which cable box IR codes it uses? Can I somehow select the cable box manually over telnet? The old software allowed me much more control over which cable box IR code it used by just having a list of boxes and codes. If i could just select the first code that it tries then everything would be fine... can I do that through the telnet bash?

2. Why is my bash file not found? should I point it somewhere else?

Thank you in advance for any ideas/suggestions/solutions you can throw my way. This forum is awesome and I could never have done any of this without you guys (obviously!)

-OD

Quote Originally Posted by overdone View Post
    basically it says that:
    "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author: /dev/ttyS2: No such file or directory"
    Is the serial bash in another directory? every example i've seen here looks like mine (like 10 at least).
    On a S2.5, that should be ttyS1 in your config, and make sure your bootpage has console=1,115200 and not console=2,115200.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Quote Originally Posted by cheer View Post
    On a S2.5, that should be ttyS1 in your config, and make sure your bootpage has console=1,115200 and not console=2,115200.
    sounds about right, i'll give that a try.
    I guess I need to put my TiVo drive back on my PC since I forgot to give myself write access through telnet. (it took me a while to figure that out)

an update on my other problem:
    I've managed to use tivo's "advanced setup" to assign it IR code #1004B (i believe the letter refers to the sending speed which is A, B, or C). After assigning it this value, the tivo is able to change the channel once and then freezes....

serial output reports the same "irblast.c::dev_write_digit(), line 231" as reported above.

I have a feeling the tcl script messed something up...
    Anyone know how to properly modify a IR Code file? or know what line 231 of irblast.c refers to?

Thanks for the help guys!

sounds about right, i'll give that a try.
    I guess I need to put my TiVo drive back on my PC since I forgot to give myself write access through telnet. (it took me a while to figure that out)
    You should be able to telnet in, then issue the command

Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /
    to get write access to stuff in the root partition such as your rc.sysinit.author file.

Quote Originally Posted by ocntscha View Post
    You should be able to telnet in, then issue the command

Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /
    to get write access to stuff in the root partition such as your rc.sysinit.author file.
    Worked like a charm! thanks for the tip! now I get a serial bash prompt, but i'm not able to type in any commands or anything, the hyperterminal screen just freezes for a couple seconds and then nothing... do I maybe have to reduce the bitrate?

Now to get the IR codes to work...

Worked like a charm! thanks for the tip! now I get a serial bash prompt, but i'm not able to type in any commands or anything, the hyperterminal screen just freezes for a couple seconds and then nothing... do I maybe have to reduce the bitrate?

Now to get the IR codes to work...
    If you're actually getting a bash prompt then you must have the bit rate correct. What command are you starting bash on the serial port with? It sounds like perhaps you've got its output going to /dev/ttyS1 but don't have it getting its input from /dev/ttyS1.

Hopefully someone else will give you some tips about the IR codes. Never personally had to mess with those myself so I haven't got the foggiest.

Quote Originally Posted by ocntscha View Post
    If you're actually getting a bash prompt then you must have the bit rate correct. What command are you starting bash on the serial port with? It sounds like perhaps you've got its output going to /dev/ttyS1 but don't have it getting its input from /dev/ttyS1.

Hopefully someone else will give you some tips about the IR codes. Never personally had to mess with those myself so I haven't got the foggiest.
    in my rc.sysinit.author:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    export PATH=$PATH:/hacks
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    setsid /bin/bash --login -i</dev/ttyS1&>/dev/ttyS1&
    tivoftpd&
    and in my bootpage (found by typing "bootpage -p"):
    Code:
    root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=1,115000 upgradesoftware=false
    isn't that correct?

Not sure it makes a difference but 'console=1,115200'

Also, HyperTerminal is OK, but I prefer a telnet client like PuTTy or TerraTerm Pro.
    Last edited by ScanMan; 09-05-2006 at 10:16 PM.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

in my rc.sysinit.author:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    export PATH=$PATH:/hacks
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    setsid /bin/bash --login -i</dev/ttyS1&>/dev/ttyS1&
    tivoftpd&
    and in my bootpage (found by typing "bootpage -p"):
    Code:
    root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=1,115000 upgradesoftware=false
    isn't that correct?
    Looks like it ought to work assuming setsid is in /hacks (or at least somewhere referenced in $PATH). Hmm, now I'd guess the problem is either with the cable or a setting in Hyperterminal. Can't really offer you in Hyperterminal tips as I use this and I never really had any cable issues either. I just use the cable that came with my Tivo (but I've got the 9 pin male end connected to an adapter 9 pin female on one side 25 pin male on the other which is in turn connected to a null modem adapter 25 pin female on each side which is in turn connected to another cable, 25 pin male at one end 9 pin female at the other, which then connects to my notebook . This is AFTER I simplified it, there used to be a couple gender changers in the mix as well)

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post

Also, HyperTerminal is OK, but I prefer a telnet client like PuTTy or TerraTerm Pro.
    Good eye Scanman. Yes change that overdone, I wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be the culprit.

Presto!

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post

That fixed it!! ScanMan saves the day again! The formatting still isn't as nice over the serial bash as over the telnet, but it's nothing I can live with as a backup in case the telnet doesn't work.

Are there any situations where I would have to use the serial bash even if the telnet bash is working?

Also, about my IR woes, I've found a bunch of IR scripts and what not at OzTivo, but I think those Aussies only use Series 1 TiVo's. Anybody have any ideas as to whether their procedures (like http://www.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/I...IrSliceCreator) will work on my SA2.5?

Thanks again for all the help. This forum rocks!

a mixed bag, apparently

So here's some more update:

I have troubleshot the problem to 3 of the 10 IR digits.
    Allow me to explain.
    The tivo only hangs after it tries to send a 2, 8, or 9.
    The tivo will happily operate forever sending 1's, 0's, and 3-7's but as soon as it hits a 2, 8, or 9, it freezes and will not respond to any commands (though it still responds to commands over telnet bash, commands like "reboot")

so now i'm trying to figure out why only those numbers hang the tivo and the others work. any thoughts anyone?

in the meantime I've installed TiVoWebPlus which lets me look at my IR Code Component and trying to now use some of the OzTivo stuff I mentioned above, but I need to cross compile their proggies for the mips processor since their stuff is all made for series 1 SA's.

any advice?