Thread: Trying to get network going on DSR708 w/3.1.1e

Trying to get network going on DSR708 w/3.1.1e

Long story short... drive failure. I'm getting the restore compression error on instacake image 4.01 image. So I figure I would upgrade via slices. Here is what I've tried.

Restored original 3.1.1e backup. Verified it works, tivo boots, etc
    Now I take 3.1.1c killinitrd kernel from PTV Upgrade and dd it to /dev/hdc3 /dev/hdc6. My active partitions are /dev/hda6 /dev/hda7

dd if=/mnt/tivo/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdc6
    dd if=/mnt/tivo/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hdc3

cd /mnt/tivo
    tar -zxvf /mnt/cdrom/init_framework.tgz
    cp /mnt/cdrom/lba48_2.4.18.px /mnt/tivo/init/vmlinux.px

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,155200 upgradesoftware=false" -C /dev/hdc

I've tried to replace the dssapp and also run the original dssapp with no success. My unit is a RID model.

I haven't gotten to loading the network drivers and rc.sysinit.author since the tivo is stuck at powering up.

What am I doing wrong? I just want network so I can upgrade via slices. I would do instacake, but I've tried 2 burners, 3 media types, 3 computers, and 2 different hard drive brands and I always get the decompression error. My backups restore fine though.

Why not just put the clean 3.1.1e image on the drive and have it call in to get the 6.2 update? Then you could pull the drive and hack it at 6.2. Or you could just start with the 62small.mfs image. Both of those methods just seem a lot simpler to me.

Where did you get that init framework? Are you sure that's not for 4.x?

Enabling networking on 3.1.1x is as simple as putting on the killhdinitrd'd 3.1.1c kernel, creating rc.sysinit.author, insmod'ing the appropriate drivers, setting up an IP address via ifconfig, and enabling telnet and ftp.

As to the init_framework...do you have a large hard drive (>137gb)? That's the only reason I could think you'd need to monte. And there's no good reason to touch dssapp on 3.x.

What, exactly, is in that init_framework?
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

That's probably it. The init_framework is for 4.x. I thought I also needed to copy the lba48_2.4.18.px kernel to init/vmlinux.px. If that's not the case, then 3.1.1c kernel on /dev/hda3-hda6, insmod the drivers and create the rc.sysinit.author is all I need?

I have both a 120 and 160 drives I can use.

I'll give that a try.

Thanks,

On the 120gb drive you definitely don't need an LBA-48-aware kernel, so yeah just install the 3.1.1c kernel, create rc.sysinit.author to do the insmod, run ifconfig, and load the daemons and you should be set.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.