Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series 3 -- time for a new forum?

Series 3 -- time for a new forum?

Maybe another forum isn't necessary (if it's similar to the S2s), but I cannot wait to void the warranty on my S3 after I receive it.

Any lucky hackers out there yet?

We've already thought about it.

The hardware architecture is significantly different from the S2 series, so it might be worth a discussion forum. Let's see what the first hacking information looks like, other then hard drive expansion.
    Last edited by JJBliss; 09-13-2006 at 11:25 PM.

If I buy one...

Can MFSTools be used to back it up? Backing up / Restore of the hard drive is probably the first bit of information I'm interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by alanjudy View Post
    Can MFSTools be used to back it up? Backing up / Restore of the hard drive is probably the first bit of information I'm interested in.
    disclaimer... I don't have an S3.

Weaknees apparently already has S3 replacement drives available for sale, although I don't know what they used to move the image.

If I got an S3, the first thing I'd do is probably pull the drive and back it up with bzip2 (or similar) like in this article (Note the TiVo in the article is a TCD540 model, but the technique should still work fine on an S3). dd would also probably work, although I like the idea of a small complete image file being handy. Then restore the image to your new, bigger, replacement SATA drive. Then try something simple like mfsadd to expand the drive.

The S3 uses SATA drives with those Western Digital clip-on connectors, so you'll likely need to do some cutting and soldering a "regular" SATA power connector to the power feeds. A regular molex repair kit, and additional molex to SATA adapter might be the best way.

The S3 has a disabled eSATA port, presumably for future hard drive expansion. At this time, nobody is sure if expanding the internal drive MFS partitions precludes you from ever using any additional external storage units. Nobody is sure if the eSATA port will ever actually be enabled, anyway.
    Last edited by Narf54321; 09-15-2006 at 01:15 PM.

I will be making a virgin image of the TiVo S3 hard drive when it arrives tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated on the status.

What arguments would you guys perfer I'd use?

Quote Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
    I will be making a virgin image of the TiVo S3 hard drive when it arrives tomorrow. I'll keep you guys updated on the status.

What arguments would you guys perfer I'd use?
    I'd recommend this:
    Code:
    dd bs=2M if=/dev/sdc | gzip -9 > dd_of_virgin_s3_hard_drive.gz
    Of course substituting /dev/sdc with wherever you have it mounted in your PC.

It just got delivered, I'll be taking it apart tonight and making the images. I'm going to make two images, a DD copy and one that the MFS_Tool makes.

Anything else you guys need while it's open?

BitTorent will most likely be my method of distribution, can those be posted here? It's been a while...

It just got delivered, I'll be taking it apart tonight and making the images. I'm going to make two images, a DD copy and one that the MFS_Tool makes.

Anything else you guys need while it's open?

BitTorent will most likely be my method of distribution, can those be posted here? It's been a while...
    Not actual torrent files, I don't think, but a link to one in the backup image and slice begging thread would probably be appreciated.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Note: Unlike eariler models, your torx screwdriver must be at least 3" long in order to pull out the disk drive. Time to visit the hardware store

PS: I recommend separately dd'ing the linux partitions. Then you can mount -o loop them from linux for easy viewing.

much appreciated

Anything you can do Supafly is GREATLY appreciated. Just got mine yesterday and cable cards are going in currently.

I'm home and I have the hard drive out... I should be back in an hour with some good or bad news (possibly both). Wish me luck!

I attempted to MFSBackup the drive using the following command:

"mfsbackup -f 9999 -6so /mnt/c/drive.image.name.here.mfs /dev/hdx"

I recieved the following error:

"mfsbackup: Backup failed to startup. Make sure you specified the right devices, and that the drives are not locked"

Any ideas? I know for sure my /dev/ reference is correct, I see all the MFS partitions.

Right now I'm DD'ing the drive, I'm gonna try the LBA48 CD from PTVTools instead of the MFSTools2.0.iso I'm using now...
    Last edited by Supafly; 09-18-2006 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Adding information...

I attempted to MFSBackup the drive using the following command:

"mfsbackup -f 9999 -6so /mnt/c/drive.image.name.here.mfs /dev/hdx"

I recieved the following error:

"mfsbackup: Backup failed to startup. Make sure you specified the right devices, and that the drives are not locked"

Any ideas? I know for sure my /dev/ reference is correct, I see all the MFS partitions.
    Has anyone reported successfully using mfsbackup on a Series 3? I wouldn't be at all surprised if with the Series 3 things have changed enough to where the current mfstools simply aren't going to work.

I will be interested to see how the LBA48 boot disc goes -- is the MFS tools 2.0 image LBA48-aware? I seem to recall that it is not.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

That was my problem, the LBA48 CD works like a charm!

Backing up now... Refer to the main thread in this forum for more information.