Thread: What exactly does hacking a TiVo mean?

What exactly does hacking a TiVo mean?

I am trying to learn from reading and search the forums and internet and I have read about hacking a TiVo but it isn't clear what the writers mean. Can some one please explain? Thanks.

Hacking a Tivo basically means that you're adding more features and functions over and above what you can get with a stock unit. At least that's the sense of it as used here in these forums. Hacking can also be referred to as a means to modify something to get service for free, which is definitely not what Tivo hacking is all about. The term "hacking" can sometimes me misconstrued as a result.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by nik2nik View Post
    I am trying to learn from reading and search the forums and internet and I have read about hacking a TiVo but it isn't clear what the writers mean. Can some one please explain? Thanks.
    In the simplest terms, "hacking" a TiVo means the ability to run non-official software.

When a Series-2 TiVo powers up, it has special signature checks which make sure its software and files are a "genuine" release from TiVo, Inc. Any changed or unknown files are deleted during the boot up routines. In order to add new and exciting tools to our Tivos, we must "hack" the original software (and in some cases the internal PROM chip) so it doesn't delete the files we change or add to our TiVo.