Thread: Open PVR from Neuros: cash money to owners who hack it (via boingboing)

Open PVR from Neuros: cash money to owners who hack it (via boingboing)

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/09/20...om_neuros.html

Neuros, makers of the coolest video-recording toys in the world, have just released their OSD, a fully open set-top box. Neuros already made history with its Neuros Recorder 2, a device the size of a deck of cards that turned any TV show or DVD into something you could watch on your PC, PSP or iPod. Now with the OSD, they've gone one better, with a device that has a fully open firmware that anyone can hack and improve. What's more, they're offering cash bounties to hackers who add various features to the device, including $1000 for a YouTube or Google video Browser, $600 for a Flickr Photo Browser, $500 for a WiFi PSP or PDA remote, $700 for a TiVo-like recording function for radio/satellite radio, and $500 for getting VoIP running on the device.
    The product's sell-sheet is a wiki and the first batch are only available to Linux hackers who will test, tweak and extend them.

Imagine you'd like a cigarette adapter for the OSD, or a second wall adapter. Instead of using an expensive proprietary part, the OSD uses a standard power adapter that you can buy at your local electronics store. It's the same Power Adapter the Sony PSP and the Dell Axim X5 use.

The OSD remote control uses a set of standard codes that emulates a Sony VCR. This means that it's easy to replace with a Universal remote of your choosing. If you lose the remote or want to consolidate your remotes, it's easy.

The included remote can control the TV volume and power which means that you can use it to replace the remote that came with your TV. You can flush your TV remote down the toilet (but we recommend you first make sure your toilet is capable of processing such it - consult the user's manual).

http://wiki.neurostechnology.com/index.php/Neuros_OSD

Quote Originally Posted by loopguru View Post
    The product's sell-sheet is a wiki and the first batch are only available to Linux hackers who will test, tweak and extend them.
    The first run of "beta" units from ThinkGeek are sold out.

Hmm...this would be interesting. I wonder how the guide data is obtained? I would go for it if there was an indefinitely renewable means of obtaining guide data without any monthly fee.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
    I wonder how the guide data is obtained? I would go for it if there was an indefinitely renewable means of obtaining guide data without any monthly fee.
    I'm pretty sure it uses Zap2it much like the MythTV setups. You have to sign into an account and complete a survey every few months to keep getting data, but otherwise its "free".

Note that this Neuros does not have a hard drive, just flash slots and USB. It is a hobby box, targetted it seems to pulling content from various places and cramming it down into PSP or video-iPod formats.

Right, but I imagine it is also intended for playback on a TV, yes?

Speak of MythTV, how many features does it have compared to a tivo these days? If it were comparable or better and they could run it on this box, I would most likely buy one.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Right, but I imagine it is also intended for playback on a TV, yes?

Speak of MythTV, how many features does it have compared to a tivo these days? If it were comparable or better and they could run it on this box, I would most likely buy one.
    Myth has a crapload of features -- think of it as Tivo combined with XBMC combined with...well, whatever you like. On the other hand, Myth is limited to OTA for HD (there is QAM support but it doesn't seem solid, and of course no cablecard support).

I'm actually building myself a Myth box right now for OTA recording -- I'll stuff four cheap ATSC tuners in there. More of an experiment than anything else.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Hmm...this would be interesting. I wonder how the guide data is obtained? I would go for it if there was an indefinitely renewable means of obtaining guide data without any monthly fee.
    I know I'm resurrecting a pretty old post here, but its done with good reason.

Check out Bounty #2 here; for those with shell access and TiVoWebPlus, the door is open to do just what you are talking about.