Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.x/HR10-250 Collected info, tips, etc. NO SUPPORT QUESTIONS PLEASE!

6.x/HR10-250 Collected info, tips, etc. NO SUPPORT QUESTIONS PLEASE!

This thread is specifically to collect information, tips, and concrete experiences with 6.3/6.3a/6.3b/6.3c on the HR10-250 HD DirecTivo. When I use the term "6.3" in this post, I mean any of the sub-versions unless specifically stated otherwise.

Please do not post support questions in this thread! There is already an active 6.3 thread; additionally, questions can be posted in the Series 2 Support forum or Newbie forum, as appropriate. Let's try to keep the clutter down in this one.

This initial post (along with the next couple, if needed) will be updated as new things are discovered/learned/verified. Please let me know (either in thread or via PM or however you like) if information is erroneous or incomplete.

In brief: 6.3 brings the folders and speed improvements that 6.2 brought the non-HD S2 DirecTivos. HMO and HME are both present and may be enabled with tivoapp patches; MRV and TTG are not present. 6.3 appears to be more similar to the 7.x code for the SA S2 units than 6.2.

6.3c also appears to contain a fix for the change in Daylight Savings Time (DST). Note that the main time/guide info is all based on UTC, so if you don't upgrade, in theory season passes and scheduled recordings should work fine. However, the displayed time may be incorrect, and manual recordings may also be incorrect.

6.3 will work with either a killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel or a killhdinitrd'd 7.2.2-oth-K1 kernel, but note that, like 7.x, 6.3 does not include af_packet.o. This means that if you want to use DHCP, you need to either use the 7.2.2-oth-K1 kernel or insmod a copy of af_packet.o early in the boot process. A third alternative would be to boot with the 3.1.5 kernel and monte into a 6.3 kernel with the initrd neutered via replace_initrd or some other mechanism.

In most respects hacking the box is similar to most S2 units: install your killhdinitrd'd kernel, enable networking, and hack as desired. It appears that if you use the 3.1.5 kernel AND you attempt to use ifconfig to set the ip address in rc.sysinit.author that networking will not work. Fixes include running ifconfig much earlier in the boot process (see AlphaWolf's posts and framework), using netconfig.tcl via serial bash, or putting netconfig.tcl (with appropriate parameters) in rc.sysinit.author temporarily and rebooting twice (once to have the information loaded into MFS and a second time so you can get in via telnet).

Caveats:
    • The original 6.3 had a problem with the 72.5 and 95 satellites, but that has been resolved in 6.3a and up.
    • An audio dropout problem which manifests by several seconds of no audio, followed by a brief audio/video glitch. This seems to be OTA-specific for the most part, and particularly common on Fox OTA broadcasts. 6.3b and 6.3c no longer have this problem.
    • When creating Season Passes with TivoWebPlus (1.2.1/1.3/early versions of 1.4) MFS becomes corrupt, and if you try to select a recording from the Now Playing List you'll see the next loopset (blank) briefly before it just bounces back to the NPL. The fix appears to be to delete all season passes and re-create them using your remote. Note that some season passes may NOT show up onscreen but may show up in TWP -- use both to verify deletion. The current beta of TWP 2.0 does not have this problem.
    • Inserting .ty files can have problems with mfs_ftp; see the links below for a fix.
    • Extraction/muxing does not seem to work properly using TyTool and other older tools, particularly with recordings that have Dolby Digital audio. bcc's tytompg does not have this problem (see below).
    • HMO/HME is now available (see below). Note that these patches also make your other (non-HR10-250) Tivos appear in the Now Playing List. Don't be fooled -- MRV doesn't work. It's just reacting to the broadcasts from the other units. I have tested HME with Galleon, and a fair number of the applets work. TivoToGo does not work, nor does anything that requires it (like pyTivo or Tivo.net). However, gfb107's wonderful MovieLoader works marvelously; see links below.
    Tivoapp Patches / Other Patches

If you don't know how to use these, or don't know the difference between a vma and a file offset, don't ask in this thread!

Nocso (courtesy of 7.1 -- for all 6.3 versions)
    Code:
    file offset   vma           orig          new
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    0x0018736c    0x0058736c    0x0c16a600    0x3c020000
    30sec skip (courtesy of AlphaWolf -- for 6.3 ONLY)
    Code:
    0x00666f68    0x00a66f68    0x1440002b    0x1040002b
    30sec skip (courtesy of AlphaWolf -- for 6.3a/6.3b/6.3c ONLY)
    Code:
    0x00666f84    0x00a66f84    0x1440002b    0x1040002b
    Backdoors (courtesy of Alphawolf -- for all 6.3 versions)
    Code:
    0x002acca4    0x006acca4    0x00008021    0x24100001
    HMO/HME (courtesy of anonymous -- for all 6.3 versions)
    Code:
    0x000dc90c    0x004dc90c    0x00408821    0x34110000
    0x0011113c    0x0051113c    0x00408021    0x24100001
    0x00575A00    0x00975A00    0x14400014    0x10000014
    Bufferhack (courtesy of AlphaWolf -- for all 6.3 versions) -- add to appropriate section of bufferhack41.tcl
    Code:
    set sys(6.3)[list 0x0d699e  0x0d67b6  0x71   0x19e97a  21983972  A9846DD76AEF86CEA6B3E69CE3758227598991A0]
    Useful Information
    Last edited by cheer; 02-14-2007 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Updated for 6.3c, cleaned up formatting, added file offsets, other misc. changes
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Placeholder

Placeholder
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Placeholder 2

Placeholder #2
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

Quote Originally Posted by cheer View Post
    6.3 will work with either a killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel or a killhdinitrd'd 7.2.2-oth-K1 kernel, but note that, like 7.x, 6.3 does not include af_packet.o. This means that if you want to use DHCP, you need to either use the 7.2.2-oth-K1 kernel or insmod a copy of af_packet.o early in the boot process.
    Cheer:
    Doing monte into the 6.3 kernel, DHCP works out of the box. No need to insert af_packet.

Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Cheer:
    Doing monte into the 6.3 kernel, DHCP works out of the box. No need to insert af_packet.
    Good point -- I did not consider monte situations. Updated.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

Direct link for AlphaWolf's 6.3 init framework
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...927#post263927

Cheer:

Should Jamie's 'ty2fsid' proc. modification for mfs_ftp be in the caveat section?

A comment I should add regarding that init framework I posted: if you want the tivo to be able to communicate with the network outside of your router (e.g. internet access,) you'll want to add a line similar to this somewhere (probably rc.runfirst)

Code:
    #Set default gateway IP address based on MFS value
    route add default gw `mfs_dumpobj -r /State/Network | grep -i gatewayaddress | cut -d= -f2`
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Just a minor detail

Code:
    Nosco (courtesy of 7.1)
    Isn't it NOCSO?

Quote Originally Posted by jasch View Post
    Just a minor detail

Code:
    Nosco (courtesy of 7.1)
    Isn't it NOCSO?
    Right you are. Fixed.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

Quote Originally Posted by steve90071 View Post
    Cheer:

Should Jamie's 'ty2fsid' proc. modification for mfs_ftp be in the caveat section?
    Yeah -- although it's not 6.3-specific, it seems to be more of an issue on 6.3. Added.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

How about a note that it appears that extracted OTA files can not currently be multiplexed into mpg by TyTool or hdmemux/mplex.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezmo View Post
    How about a note that it appears that extracted OTA files can not currently be multiplexed into mpg by TyTool or hdmemux/mplex.
    Has it been verified that this is only with OTA? I've had problems with TyTool on every satellite HD tystream I've attempted since the 6.3 upgrade as well. But hdemux/mplex have worked fine for these satellite HD files.
    Last edited by whitepelican; 09-21-2006 at 11:52 PM.

Maybe it is HD then. I guess I've only tried Satellite SD and OTA HD.

First post of the thread updated with a number of things, including updated patches (where required) for 6.3a.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer