Thread: HR20:A successful Hard Drive upgrade with a 500GB and 750GB Practically:Plug and Play

HR20:A successful Hard Drive upgrade with a 500GB and 750GB Practically:Plug and Play

1st, I want to thank the CEO of this site for allowing and creating a HR20 section. With that being said, here's the 1st thread and post on the HR20

Gotchaa, a member of another forum has been testing and has been successful upgrading the HR20 with a 500GB and 750 GB HDD.

Best of all it sounds beyond easy to do. It's practically Plug and Play.

Click here, (warning this links u to a different forum)
    Note: If this violates the rules, then mods feel free to remove link.

Now Earl, the head moderator, posted this warning in page two:
    "A word of warning... as DBSTalk doesn't want to go down the path of discussion of "hacking" and un-authorized extraction... I don't want to see (and can't really allow) any discussions about what the file system might look like and how to work with it for anything remotely close to extracting or accessing the data on the drives."

Here's where we can take over. We are allowed to discuss Video Extraction and more, withing the rules of this forum of course.

I understand this will take some patience, since the HR20 has only reached a limited number of homes.
    Last edited by bozo8787; 09-22-2006 at 06:04 PM.

Hmmm... Not much discussion here. With the 0xd8 software update today enabling the eSATA port, I'm wondering if that will help things along any.

Quote Originally Posted by hergtoler View Post
    Hmmm... Not much discussion here. With the 0xd8 software update today enabling the eSATA port, I'm wondering if that will help things along any.
    U beat me to this great news
    Yes, this will help.

And yes "discussion here" is on the slow side. But then again this HR20 section was only created just a few weeks ago.

This site is the home of the TiVo gods. They have invested ample time to a product that works. We are greatful for them. Perhaps, some day, they may take a look at the HR20, which, its OS is Linux or Unix.
    So let us be patient for this product to reach the masses, and for future HR20 gods to rule this unclaimed territory. Plus, don't forget there's still millions of peeps that don't even own a HDTV. Sad but true.

Years ago the UTV had hope but died when M$ decided to stop making the unit. I don't think this will be the case with d*'s debut in HDDVR arena.
    Last edited by bozo8787; 10-05-2006 at 04:28 AM.

I jsut got an HR-20!

I have had a Series-2 DirecTivo for years, and this forum has given me great knowledge and support. I want to help figure out this box, and look forward to hearing what everyone else learns.

The webiste mentioned in a previous post has some nice info, but looks like they are trying to limit any real info about using the product any way you want to.

Extraction is what I care most about, so I want to hear what people are finding out!

Looks like the HR-20 uses a flash drive for the OS. If I'm reading all the reports correctly, it seems that the OS isn't installed on the internal SATA drive, nor is it installed on the eSATA drive.

Sure will be interesting to see what it looks like inside.
    Have a question? Try a search first...

Update: From this link, it looks like the esata drive data isn't locked to a particular drive. Whether this means the internal drive is not locked also, dunno.

Also interesting is that there were only three partitions on the drive...

Partition Type Size in MB Used Unused
    1 - SWAPSPACE2 Linux Swap 517.7 0 517.7
    2 - * Linux Ext 2 15,366.9 15,366.9 0
    3 - * Linux Ext 2 270,296.8 270,296.8 0

Time for some investigation?
    Have a question? Try a search first...

According to Earl D* will use 50-100GB of whatever you plug in for their own purposes. Now that sucks.